Revive of old apps ?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by nxtgamer, Aug 20, 2016.

1. nxtgamer
    OP

nxtgamer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Hi I'm just wondering if we will ever be able to bring back apps like Skype or Youtube for Vita! I'm not sure why they ever cancelled the apps anyway.

2. tuxdude143

tuxdude143 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2014
    New Zealand
    Skype really serves no purpose whatsoever but the youtube app seeing a comeback would be pretty neat. As it's a free app I'm assuming it most likely has no DRM on the PKG file (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so if someone managed to snag the PKG at some point then it could be possible to sideload it.

3. RitchieRitchie

RitchieRitchie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2013
    Yeah, I'd love the youtube app back also.

4. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    look on ps3hax. there's a whole thread dedicated to vita pkg files and youtube is part of it. it even comes straight from sonys DL servers.

5. nxtgamer
    OP

nxtgamer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Yes but they cut the service not just the app

cearp likes this.
  6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    so, no.
    if skype updated their system, their side, which in turn made it so old versions of skype won't work, nothing we can do about that.
    i'm not sure if earlier versions of skype (for pc, etc) still work, maybe they keep some backwards compatibility. i doubt it though.

i doubt it's a meaningless lockout that can be circumvented by changing a few values. (maybe, who knows)

7. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    They do, actually.
    The last version of Skype for Linux was 4.1. Microsoft stopped pushing updates to Linux, however the app is still fully compatible with the modern counterparts.
    ... Well, apart from missing emoticons (those appear as text), and formatting (that appears as normal, unformatted text).

cearp likes this.