Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SeongGina - might want to update TGB Dual in the OP too, it should work just fine now.

Tested this yesterday, it does;
Why the hell didn't I update it then I don't know, rectifying that now.

I understand nothing ._.
So if i've just installed, for example, vba next on my vita; for newer version i need to simply install new vba next vpk?

In the past I would have recommended using CMA to uninstall old cores then install new builds, but now, random core overwrites are a non-issue (Assuming no new cores return for a while...)

So yes, you can just install a new .vpk and it'll update the core in question just fine without any further modification.

Aramir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reporting on the XMB bugs. I didn't manage to crash it again (yet). But in the meantime here's some steps to glitch it:
1/ Open your favorite retroarch Core (eg: snes9x 2002)
2/ Go to "Main Menu" -> "Online Updater"
3/ Try to validate "Core Updater" by pressing circle

From then, you got two choices
A / Press cross, from now on there should be two xmb overlapping each other (one of them being frozen)
B/ Press left, then cross, then left, etc till you're back on the main menu, and the whole xmb column should be shifted to the right.
And there's probably others combinations of input to glitch it out in other ways.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Reporting on the XMB bugs. I didn't manage to crash it again (yet). But in the meantime here's some steps to glitch it:
1/ Open your favorite retroarch Core (eg: snes9x 2002)
2/ Go to "Main Menu" -> "Online Updater"
3/ Try to validate "Core Updater" by pressing circle

From then, you got two choices
A / Press cross, from now on there should be two xmb overlapping each other (one of them being frozen)
B/ Press left, then cross, then left, etc till you're back on the main menu, and the whole xmb column should be shifted to the right.
And there's probably others combinations of input to glitch it out in other ways.

Can indeed reproduce both of these.

The only thing about XMB menu's bugs is that it's hard to tell if it's the Vita's port of XMB (Seeing as we have no OpenGL implementation yet or a custom graphics library to use, and opts for software rendering) or the XMB menu as a whole, as (as far as I'm concerned) the Vita is the only system with XMB menu fully functional(-ish), AND without a proper core updater, thus is the only thing I can point to as this being possibly a global nonissue until this point...
Unless...

As an aside, anyone else who has the PS3 RetroArch, can they test XMB menu if these bugs exist as well? (I slightly doubt this, as the PS3 has its own OGL implementation apparently, meaning it's less likely for a graphical bug like this to occur, but... just curious [I don't actually have a PS3 anymore, let alone one at a low enough firmware for hacks].)
(Or, y'know, Libretro Team confirm this as well, would be nice, thank you~<3)
Then again these are my own dumb curiosities and not a major issue but it'd be nice to know.

Last edited by SeongGino,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I... I don't get this damn emulator. I really don't. I was told by someone else on GBATemp, "Hey, if you don't like the control settings, just change them and save an override for that specific game." Sounds easy enough! So I do exactly what I'm told to do, and RetroArch claims that it's saving an override, but instead returns the controls to their defaults. I know this because I start playing King of Fighters '97 and none of the buttons are where I assigned them just a minute ago. I've done this at least three times and get the same results every time.

People wonder why I want standalone emulators for the Vita when I could just use RetroArch instead. This is the reason! I feel like I'm wrestling with a kraken every time I use it. Maybe I'm the only one having these problems, but I'm definitely having them and it's definitely annoying.

lbruckus562

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar problem but for the saving of the file browser setting. Says saved, but it only keeps that directory saved until I close out the core.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sooooo...

A bit late, but I've officially marked MAME '00 (MAME4ALL) as nonfunctional. If anyone has any objections/proof of otherwise, feel free, but for now that's how it'll be left.

And on a sidenote, MAME '03 (0.78) is nigh unusable with everything being at MOST half-speed.
Please, just use FBA.

Last edited by SeongGino,
Reactions: cvskid and SuperDan

lbruckus562

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried using Final Burn Alpha a while back. It ran Demon Front at dog slow speeds. Has it improved recently?

Final burn is pretty much the only retroarch core I use on my vita. Love it for cps1/2 and neo geo games. It occasionally will run more popular mame roms like Simpsons, tmnt, and xmen as well.

Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use
fbalpha-neo geo 9/14/2016 ..... for neo geo roms
fbalpha-2012 9/5/2016 ...for ccps 1&2 roms & a few mame titles
& i have no issues switching buttons & them saving ...
fbalpha-2012 for my Street fighter Games .. i have my buttons set differently than my neo geo fighters....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tried using Final Burn Alpha a while back. It ran Demon Front at dog slow speeds. Has it improved recently?
mine works perfectly
& the new
fbalpha-neo geo 9/14/2016
works better than all the others
but i had a hard time finding a
fbalpha-2012 that worked 100%
many i tried just crashed on start up ect....

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only ones that work for me are VBA next and gambatte, and those 2 don't save. Am I doing something wrong?
use
https://henkaku.xyz/showcase/

GenesisPlusVITA Sega Mega Drive emulator

CATSFC-libretro-vita Snes emulator i think its the best & easiest one to use

fbalpha-neo geo 9/14/2016
fbalpha-2012 9/5/2016 .
Retroarch
for every thing else...

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, now that's the stuff! The plain Final Burn Alpha works great, and even has the control option I was lusting after. Some games still don't run well (Dark Adventure is a mess... not that it was great in the arcades, but it's pretty slow here to boot) and I can't get Demon Front to work at all (it's possible I may need a different ROM), but Neo-Geo games run smoothly, and expect the same performance from CPS2 titles. So I guess I'm happy, at least for the moment.

Reactions: SuperDan

AriaOnThePlanetes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sooooo...

A bit late, but I've officially marked MAME '00 (MAME4ALL) as nonfunctional. If anyone has any objections/proof of otherwise, feel free, but for now that's how it'll be left.

And on a sidenote, MAME '03 (0.78) is nigh unusable with everything being at MOST half-speed.
Please, just use FBA.

MAME 2000 was working in 8/29 nightly. Not in latest.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to ask about this but is it possible to set controls for the ps vita back touch panel for people who have l2/l3 r2/r3 grips? Wanted to try a control setting like 3 punch and 3 kick for marvel vs capcom for example so it would be possible to dash easily.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to ask about this but is it possible to set controls for the ps vita back touch panel for people who have l2/l3 r2/r3 grips? Wanted to try a control setting like 3 punch and 3 kick for marvel vs capcom for example so it would be possible to dash easily.

For now, no; no touch drivers for Vita RA.

MAME 2000 was working in 8/29 nightly. Not in latest.

Like I said: Am late on this.

Reactions: cvskid

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have PCECD working with Mednafen? Non of the backups I was running under VHBL seem to work natively. I tried both BIN/CUE and ISO/CUE. When I run the syscard3.pce as a ROM it loads fine, but running any CUE file just crashes me back to RA.

Also, do all the cores have ZIP support for ROMS?

JJXB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone have PCECD working with Mednafen? Non of the backups I was running under VHBL seem to work natively. I tried both BIN/CUE and ISO/CUE. When I run the syscard3.pce as a ROM it loads fine, but running any CUE file just crashes me back to RA.
check where you put your syscard3.pce file. either ux0:/data/retroarch/system or ux0:/data/retroarch/cores/system/ (try both incase)

Last edited by JJXB,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4