RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by SeongGino, Aug 5, 2016.

1. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    Welcome to the (semi)official RetroArch/Libretro cores thread for PS Vita
    ("I THINK I got the right subforum this time" Edition!)

Small disclaimer: Make sure you are on Firmware 3.60 with the latest HENkaku exploit! It is recommended to ensure you are on the latest revision of HENkaku by navigating to henkaku.xyz via the Vita's Web Browser.

FBA/MAME disclaimer: Final Burn Alpha uses a different ROMset from the NJEmu PSP emulators (Those use MAME 0.12x series ROMsets). MAKE SURE you are using the Final Burn Alpha v0.2.97.30 ROMsets with FBA. ONLY USE MAME/NJEmu ROMsets when the MAME emulator is confirmed working!

For detailed explanations on RetroArch itself, please consult the Libretro wiki at http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Main_Page for non-Vita specific questions.

If any bugs are present in any of the Libretro cores or exist within the RetroArch UI itself on the PS Vita, and are not acknowledged in the main post, please report them here. The goal of the article is to provide as much information on what works and doesn't work currently alike on the PS Vita port of RetroArch and the Libretro cores.

For future note: Initial Quick menu combo is L1 + R1 + Select + Start, You can change this from Main Menu -> Settings -> Input -> Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo.
    (Thanks for the idea, user Shinigami Kiba!)

Latest Nightly Builds: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/
    Current Version: Febuary 13th Build, RetroArch version 1.4.1

Latest Stable Builds: RetroArch v1.4.1 (Click me to download now!)

Changelog:
    • 02/03/2017: Stable release build for PlayStation Vita has been released!
    • Official Netplay support has been added! Use Main Menu -> Netplay to easily find and connect to local Vitas in a local network or over-the-air! Warning: Does NOT work cross-platform between Vita and any x86(_64)-based RetroArch distro!

Current Available cores (package name/emulator name/emulated console):

Current Performance: Thanks for the suggestion, Chesskid1!
    Reminder, these are estimations and are not to judge overall performance of each core or RetroArch as a whole. Notable exceptions to each rule will be noted.

Consoles
    Atari 2600 (Stella): Fullspeed.
    Atari 7800 (ProSystem): Fullspeed.

Genesis (Genesis Plus GX): ~60fps, consistent.
    Genesis (PicoDrive): ~60fps, same as Genesis Plus GX.
    Genesis 32X (PicoDrive): To be tested.
    NES (FCEUmm): 60fps, consistent (This IS the NES, after all... (^^;; )
    NES (Nestopia): 55-60fps, inconsistent, recommended use FCEUmm.
    PC Engine (MednaFen): ~60fps on HuCard games, ~60fps on Super CD-ROM2 games.

PlayStation (PCSX Re-ARMed): HEAVILY dependent on game, expect anywhere from 60fps in 2D-based games to 30fps in some 3D-based titles.
    SNES (Snes9x 2005): ~55fps - 60fps on standard games, ~50fps on SuperFX-powered games.
    SNES (Snes9x 2005+): To be tested, assumed ~50fps - 60fps on standard games. Frame drops compared to Regular '05 Snes9x are noticeable, however, on select games.
    SNES (Snes9x 2010): ~40fps on standard games, requires further testing; recommend using Snes9x 2005 instead.
    Sega Saturn (Yabause): Basically nonfunctional, Proof-of-Concept only.
    Vectrex: ~50fps, however this is fullspeed for Vectrex.

Computer Systems
    MS-DOS (DOSBox): Functional, fairly slow, however; mapping instructions here.
    ZX81 (81): ?

ZX Spectrum (Fuse): Full speed.

Handhelds

Atari Lynx (Handy): ~60fps
    Game Boy (Gambatte/TGBDual): ~60fps.
    Game Boy Advance (GPSP): ~45-50fps, generally above half-speed.
    Game Boy Advance (VBA Next): ~50-60fps, below full speed, but better performing than GPSP.
    Neo-Geo Pocket (Color) (MednaFen): ~60fps

Virtual Boy (MednaFen): ~25fps-30fps.
    WonderSwan (Mednafen): 60fps on WonderSwan, ~30fps to 60fps for WonderSwan Color.

Arcade Systems

Final Burn Alpha: Varies by ROMset, generally better performance than MAME however.
    CPS1 (FinalBurnAlpha): 60fps, consistent.

CPS2 (FinalBurnAlpha): 60fps, consistent.
    Neo-Geo (FinalBurnAlpha): 60fps, consistent.

MAME (0.37b5): Varies by ROMset, generally full speed in most cases, possibly slower than FBA yet slightly more accurate(?).
    MAME (0.78): Varies by ROMset, generally half-speed, if not slower; recommend using FinalBurnAlpha instead.

Engine Ports

2048 (The mobile phone game): Working.
    Cave Story (NXEngine): Fullspeed.

DOOM (PrBoom): Fullspeed. However, using "Linear" filtering on anything but fog will drop framerates to half-speed.
    Quake (TyrQuake): With default pak0/pak1.pak, 40fps-50fps, adjustable in settings. Recommended use Rinnegatamante's VitaQuake instead.

Current Bugs:

Global
    Rewind/Fast Forward currently cause sporadic performance hitches on Genesis Plus GX (Requires further investigation).
    Individual Core installation may overwrite another random installed Libretro Core. Be weary of this, as it's a sign that the nightly set installed has added/removed a core.
    glui menu driver lacks font assets, currently unusable.
    Currently, using either the AiO Executable or the individual Core packages may exhibit random occurrences of loss of control over Libretro as a whole. The only known solution is to suspend/resume the application to restore control, however this will not work with any CD/Disc Image-based title as it will cause the game to inevitably freeze. (Is this still the case?)

Older builds from August may not work with the xmb menu driver; if this is the case, delete your current retroarch.cfg and launch any RA core, and it will regenerate an updated default configuration file.

Core Specific
    nxengine_libretro: Collecting Health Expansions halts the game (Application Crash). (Is this still the case?)
    genesis_plus_gx_libretro: SegaCD Redbook audio hangs when suspending/pausing the application. Attempting to load game assets in the same game afterwards soft-locks the game (Virtual CD is ejected?) Thanks for the report, wolven9!
    vecx_libretro: Sound pitch is an octave lower than original hardware?
    desmume_libretro: Cannot load Application (Vita System Error code "C1-2569-2")
    fuse_libretro: Cannot load more than one ROM in a single session (Application Crash). To change/reset a game, a complete reload of the core is necessary (As "Reset" restarts the virtual ZX Spectrum; NOT re-loading the game).

Fixed Issues/Bugs

Please note that these bugs are currently a non-issue or fixed as of the latest Stable/Nightly builds. These remain purely for historical purposes and are not indicative of current RetroArch/Libretro progress.

Bios Files Required (Place in ux0:data/retroarch/system):
    DOOM (PrBoom): prboom.wad (PrBoom system file, place in same directory as DOOM .WADs) (Can be obtained here).
    Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (Genesis Plus GX/PicoDrive[?]): Sega CD (bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin, bios_CD_U.bin).
    NES/Famicom (FCEUmm): DISKSYS.ROM (Famicom Disk System BIOS only).
    Neo-Geo (FBA): neogeo.zip (SNK Neo-Geo BIOS, must contain UniBIOS as well, place in same directory as ROMsets).
    PC-Engine (MednaFen): syscard3.pce (TG16 CD-ROM System Card ver. 3.00).
    PlayStation (PCSX ReARMed): SCPH550X.BIN (PlayStation BIOS). "X" stands for 0, 1, or 2, depending on region

Game Boy Advance (Required for gpSP only): gba_bios.bin (Game Boy Advance BIOS).

Extras:
    Warning: The following does NOT apply to the recently introduced RetroArch All-in-One Executable. This, however, will remain for as long as the individual core packages are bundled in current nightlies.

Thanks to users sj33 and Melon Head, a set of customized unofficial icons are available for each individual RetroArch/Libretro core. This will make identification of the individual cores easier and the presentation marginally improved. A download is available here.
    WARNING: Nightlies are posted daily, if not hourly, and thus the correct RetroArch core folder names are not guaranteed to remain the same across Nightly Builds. Take caution in replacing files, as when applied to the wrong Nightly, are prone to creating mismatching icon/name bubbles. sj33 will be sure to update the folder structure as new cores are developed and added.

Directions: Extract/transfer the containing "RETR000XX" folders to "ur0:appmeta/" and overwrite when requested. NOTE: uR0: and uX0: are different partitions entirely, as ur0: maintains active meta/image data for installed applications.
    If you'd like to extract specific icons for specific cores, you may check for correct core folder by examining the containing "sce_sys/param.sfo" file and locating the string "RetroArch xxxxx" amongst the corrupted text [xxxxx being the core name as displayed in LiveArea].)

Reboot the system to view the changes made.

Thread is WIP. If you have any concerns, leave a post or message me.
    Credit where credit's due to all the users who have assisted with RetroArch/Libretro, the Vita ports, and everyone who provides unofficial fixes, advice, and assets for use with Vita RetroArch/Libretro. Thank you!

Last edited by SeongGino, Feb 13, 2017

2. snk4ever

snk4ever Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2006
    France
    Very useful post, thank you !

For core specific bugs, I couldn't get prboom to run on 04/08 build. Using the same WAD that works with the Vita port of Doom, I am taken back to the RGUI when selecting it.

Last edited by snk4ever, Aug 5, 2016
  3. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    We need this to be pinned! Hurry!

4. z3ro

z3ro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Ohio
    Whoo! I'm so very glad to see this. One more day until I can join the HENkaku elite. :D

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
  6. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
  7. laharl22

laharl22 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    Dynarec are enabled on latest nigthtly?

8. wolven9

wolven9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    genesis_plus_gx_libretro has an issue with Sega CD where the audio screws up if you suspend the app

9. wintermute808

wintermute808 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Worth noting that with this nightly (08/05) FCEUmm (SVN) is able to load zipped files without crashing.

Last edited by wintermute808, Aug 5, 2016
    wolven9 likes this.
  10. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    To be fair, the original owner had a point, and I will acknowledge that the thread in question is a tad redundant.
    However, I made this for the discrete purpose of actually listing bugs and fixes and Q/A in one neat location, rather than being a simple discussion thread.

Okay, it's still a discussion thread too, but y'know. (^^;;

niuus, bache and wolven9 like this.
  11. wolven9

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Yeah I prefer this thread, it solved all my problems in the OP

12. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    Thanks to user Chesskid1 (And further inspired by original 3DS RetroArch thread) for the reminder, Core Performance Estimations have been added to the OP.

If you could help test on individual game performance/exception ROMs for each core, it would be greatly appreciated.
    (Gonna need a special thanks soon...)

(Haaah, double posting)
    Will investigate this further. Seems like a legitimate issue, however and will note until further explanation is found.

I can semi-confirm this:
    PrBoom requires the latest prboom.wad file inside of ux0:/data/retroarch/cores/system.
    However, I tested, and while it does seem to LOAD Doom.wad (Black screen for more than five seconds), the application crashes soon after.

Myth now Confirmed, now listing under core bugs.

Last edited by SeongGino, Aug 5, 2016
    niuus and wolven9 like this.
  13. wolven9

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Neo-Geo works great but has bad slowdown in Metal Slug (I think this is a retroarch issue in general though)

14. wintermute808

wintermute808 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    The slowdown across all iterations of FBA have always occurred with the Metal Slug series because the original MVS and AES hardware experienced slowdowns on those titles as well. At the time of Metal Slug titles releasing on the original SNK hardware, the boards at the time were pushed to their limits on metal slug titles and these slow downs would occur on the arcade machines when many sprite animations would occur on screen (explosions, super fast movements, etc...)

Retroarch FBA cores showing the slowdown on metal slug is actually indicative of how faithfully they emulate the hardware.

Last edited by wintermute808, Aug 5, 2016
  15. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    Can confirm this.
    Metal Slug (Especially 2, for... some reason.) titles always had slowdown issues, so this is indicative of rather faithful emulation on the Vita without adding slowdown of it's own.
    If you want to see in real time how the game is performing, I recommend going to RetroArch -> Settings -> Video -> Display FPS and setting it to on to see if the slowdown is the GAME or the EMULATOR.

On a side note: Play Metal Slug X. That's why it exists, because vanilla MS2 had such bad slowdown and a few game bugs. (^^; I'm not paid by SNK to say this... I'm just a fan~

wolven9 likes this.
  16. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    I have since confirmed Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story) currently has character info and inventory mishaps, and is now tagged tentatively under "unplayable." Requires further investigation.
    Polar Star doesn't crash the game, but Health Expansions do?

Update:
    Tested DOSBox core, unusable at the moment, so now tagged under "Unplayable" tentatively.

17. romain337

romain337 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    France
    Paris
    You talk about this version of metal slug http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442 ?
    Maybe a modified ROM can be found somewhere

Last edited by romain337, Aug 5, 2016
  18. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    We are talking about Vanilla MS2, not any patched version. Besides, I'm not sure FBA will allow patched ROMs to run without it being logged in the database first, as MAME-based emulators are picky about CRC32 mismatches and such.

On a side note, thread's been updated. Lots of clones of existing cores has been released so far, and the OP describes what is cloned. Our first new core, however, PocketSNES, has been released (Along with it's clone).

19. wolven9

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Repeated use of fast forward (and posibly rewind) can mess up genesis_plus_gx_libretro and create continual stutter. Deleting the retroarch.cfg fixes the problem. Even using fast forward on other cores before hand seems to have the same effect when you boot up Genesis plus gx. Also current nightly of Neo Geo is missing the core controls in the quick menu???

20. SeongGino
    OP

SeongGino That One Seong

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Scarlet Mansion, NJ
    Can confirm this is the case on both fb_alpha and fbalpha2012 revisions. And while the controls on Neo-Geo isn't a problem (At least compared to CPS1/2 where the control setup/variations are more jarring), this is still something to note.
    I'll give it until the next nightly before I report this as a bug since it's so minor.

Also, if I recall on 3DS, I think Rewind/Fast Forward are currently bugged on the portable Libretro ports. Will add this to the thread (Most likely why it's not mapped by default).