Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

nowaaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In Snes9x 2005: How to use analog as d-pad and how to change the L1+R1+select +start to easier combination (like right analog up) to open the menu?

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So I've made some updates to the OP...

DOSBox core is confirmed working, but without virtual keyboard support and thus only games with pre-configured joystick controls work, it is considered partially functional for the moment.
2048 core works as of now. Yay?

Some RA bugs have been fixed, VBA Next seems slightly faster as of late as well...
And even Kirby Super Star works fine now (Mostly fullspeed-ish) with Snes9x '05.

As an aside... how is the XMB menu working for everyone? At least on my end, forcing XMB as the menu driver just makes the UI an off-color black screen.

JJXB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
XMB's working fine for me and has been since some point before 29th august build. after the amount of times i had to delete the retroarch.cfg though.

Aramir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
XMB is working fine here too ... As long as I don't fiddle too much with the config options, I managed several times to crash it, to shift the columns and/or display them multiple times on the screen .... So yeah .... I shall provide steps to reproduce some of the XMB bugs soon (within the next day probably) if you're interested.

With that siad I reiterate my question, does retroarch create some log files somewhere on the vita for when it fails to load a rom/crash? Thus allowing me to understand what I'm doing wrong with my magical drop 3 neogeo rom.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
XMB is working fine here too ... As long as I don't fiddle too much with the config options, I managed several times to crash it, to shift the columns and/or display them multiple times on the screen .... So yeah .... I shall provide steps to reproduce some of the XMB bugs soon (within the next day probably) if you're interested.

Would be much appreciated! Though I think when I do get to taking a look, it'd be self-explanatory as to how/why the config would mess with the driver.

With that siad I reiterate my question, does retroarch create some log files somewhere on the vita for when it fails to load a rom/crash? Thus allowing me to understand what I'm doing wrong with my magical drop 3 neogeo rom.

MagDrop3 works fine for me (Personal favorite of mine).

Once more, check whether your neogeo.zip/magdrop3.zip files are from the proper ROMset.

Though the Vita (When HENkaku is enabled) technically "makes" .dmp files and drops them in ux0:data/, they aren't good for diagnosing specific problems; just memory address issues and such, not parsed or anything for the end user (Which makes sense as these are technically the same files that are sent to Sony normally on a Vanilla Vita when you agree to submit diagnostic reports).

What's interesting to note, however, and I quote from Libretro.com here:
libretro.com 'A sneak peak at 1.3.7 features' said:
"Since this is a current nightly snapshot release, PS3 and Vita users are able to get a sneak peek at some of the features that will be part of RetroArch 1.3.7 for the other platforms.
- Improved error handling. When loading the wrong ROM into a core, most cores should be able to now gracefully exit instead of just quitting or crashing RetroArch."
This was poised to become a thing for Vita/PS3 builds... but I don't know because it doesn't pop up for me at all and this was supposed to be a thing since August 3rd.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What's the best sega genesis emulator?

Correction:
The ONLY Sega Genesis emulator working is Genesis GX+ as stated in OP; PicoDrive doesn't work (yet).

JuanVCS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
In Snes9x 2005: How to use analog as d-pad and how to change the L1+R1+select +start to easier combination (like right analog up) to open the menu?
For both go to Settings -> Input:
* -> Input User 1 Binds -> User 1 Analog to Digital Type -> Left Analog
* -> Input Hotkey Binds -> Menu Toggle and change the key

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
2048 core.. what does this emulator do... just curious ....

It's an (open-source?) port of 2048...

Y'know, that mobile phone game where you match numbers together in a 4x4 grid?
It's all-inclusive; just "Start Core" to play.

EDIT:
So I updated a few more things (And once again, thanks to everyone pointing out the retroarch.cfg being the reason why xmb doesn't work; the assets folder wasn't adjusted to go to app0: initially).

Virtual Boy (Mednafen), while still half-speed, now shows the entirety of the screen. It seems like this was an age-old fix I never looked into... so for now, I just bunched the screen fix with the rest of the September 12th fixes.
Removed a few bits from the performance estimations list (QuickNES, for example; it's pointless on Vita frankly).

And FINALLY updated the latest nightly date; it is NOT September 5th still.

Looking at all the fixes we've been getting lately, I'm considering separating the bugs/issues list into two halves: One that's the same as it is currently which documents CURRENT issues in the open, and a collapse panel that shows the bugs that have since been fixed for documentation/historical purposes.
If we're all fine with that, I'll see about getting it done tomorrow afternoon (EST).

(Oh, small note: Sept. 13th nightly brainfarted again; download the Sept. 14th zips now please.)
Neato, only six more days until my birthday. (^^;

Last edited by SeongGino,
Reactions: SuperDan

FX3200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
how setup dosbox input keys? in my psp i create bat file with setup for example

INPUTMAP triangle d
INPUTMAP square lshift

and etc......

but on vita not work. how setup keys on vita?

JJXB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how setup dosbox input keys? in my psp i create bat file with setup for example

INPUTMAP triangle d
INPUTMAP square lshift

and etc......

but on vita not work. how setup keys on vita?
as far as i know, keyboard isn't working at the moment. the only input you can do is gamepad/joystick via Quick Menu, Controls right now. i'll give the new nightly a test for if any updates to input have been made though.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But for new nightly build of a emu, to install it, i need to remove the older version first, or just install the vpk and in this way the files will be overwrite?

JJXB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But for new nightly build of a emu, to install it, i need to remove the older version first, or just install the vpk and in this way the files will be overwrite?
as long as there hasn't been any added cores installing vpk's over the old versions can work fine. but each new core shifts at least some of the cores up by 1 depending on the alphanumeric filename

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
as long as there hasn't been any added cores installing vpk's over the old versions can work fine. but each new core shifts at least some of the cores up by 1 depending on the alphanumeric filename
I understand nothing ._.
So if i've just installed, for example, vba next on my vita; for newer version i need to simply install new vba next vpk?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?