Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
what will bring ARM9LoaderHax, Daxtsu?

Think Bootmii for the 3DS. It starts running your code the instant you hit the power button, so you can boot into CFW straight away (and has little to no chance of failure, unlike MenuHax's white and yellow screens). There is no nice safety menu yet like Bootmii, but we will probably have one SOON™ (not Gateway soon, hopefully!).

As I understand it, it lets you have a true CFW, ala PSP, should you want it and the comfort of use it brings.

The downside is that to set it up, you need to downgrade to 2.1 and that is fraught with risks.

It's growing safer every day, but you're right, there will always be some degree of risk involved with it. We're making the machines do things they're not supposed to be able to do.

downgrade to 2.1, wow! Even for N3DS?

Yes. The OTP (think of it like the "DNA" of your 3DS) is available on 2.1, but after that, Nintendo remembered to lock it/turn it off, making it impossible to get without doing a sysNAND downgrade to 2.1.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thank you for your informations, guys. It seems interesting! :)

No risk, no reward. But yeah, it might not seem like it's that great, but trust me, once you have it, you'll most likely never want to go back to MenuHax hell (for me it was hell, bad boot rates, and I reboot a LOT to test homebrew stuff).

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Yes I can understand. If you want to get something awesome, you have to try your luck, and luck is the good word. :)
I'll look for this new ARM9loader closely now.
I've still not MenuHax, still using my good old mset. :P

Reactions: daxtsu

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If ARM9Loader works faster than my current setup (ThemeHax into Homebrew Launcher, Homebrew Launcher to RxTools EmuNAND), that would be amazing. The way that I'm doing it now is rather slow and not very consistent on whether it works or not, often making me second-think whenever I want to add a new CIA or update anything on my system.

Now, for something that's actually on-topic regarding RetroArch, I recently got back from a week+ vacation without reliable Internet access. Has anything happened regarding FPS or anything for the PSX emulator? I'd love to get that last little boost I need for full speed on Tales of Phantasia. Also, when I finish Phantasia, the next game in the set is Tales of Destiny, also for PSX. Can I expect that one to run well, since they seem to be on the same engine and everything? (I've never played a Tales game before now, so I'm wanting to start from the beginning and see how the series and its mechanics have evolved over time.)

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What will arm9loaderhax mean to homebrew, such as retroarch?
So I understand that arm9lh will offer a better boot rate of cfw. And then from that cfw, you can of course run the cia of a core, or boot into a hbl and run the 3dsx from there
Will arm9lh eventually lead to a different way of running homebrew? So something different from cia/3dsx?

Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
What will arm9loaderhax mean to homebrew, such as retroarch?
So I understand that arm9lh will offer a better boot rate of cfw. And then from that cfw, you can of course run the cia of a core, or boot into a hbl and run the 3dsx from there
Will arm9lh eventually lead to a different way of running homebrew? So something different from cia/3dsx?

Well, as I understand it, it will only give you faster and more reliable boots. So I don't think it's important. I'll stay on my Pasta. I don't care if I earn 15 seconds when I boot my cfw. So no different cia's on ARM9loaderhax than other cfw.

Personally I would love to see people that have the skills doing cool stuff for the 3ds scene, like RetroArch, Quake, DSi hacking, Heretic etc. Not another cfw/loader/entrypoint..

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Probably not, unless perhaps Linux on 3DS takes off and becomes a big thing, but I would guess it'll remain a niche thing like it was on the original DS.

Personally I would love to see people that have the skills doing cool stuff for the 3ds scene, like RetroArch, Quake, DSi hacking, Heretic etc. Not another cfw/loader/entrypoint..

That's a good point, but keep in mind developing for the 3DS before A9LH was a pain in the ass, since if your homebrew crashed it could force a reboot, making you deal with MenuHax until it finally felt like cooperating (hurray yellow screen...oh look, now it's white). With A9LH it's more like, "Oh, a crash? No big deal, I'll be back in CFW in a couple seconds." and you can pick up from where you left off. When there's a stable platform to develop for, it's much more enticing to try and make things for it, or at least, that's how I see it.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Probably not, unless perhaps Linux on 3DS takes off and becomes a big thing, but I would guess it'll remain a niche thing like it was on the original DS.

That's a good point, but keep in mind developing for the 3DS before A9LH was a pain in the ass, since if your homebrew crashed it could force a reboot, making you deal with MenuHax until it finally felt like cooperating (hurray yellow screen...oh look, now it's white). With A9LH it's more like, "Oh, a crash? No big deal, I'll be back in CFW in a couple seconds." and you can pick up from where you left off. When there's a stable platform to develop for, it's much more enticing to try and make things for it, or at least, that's how I see it.

Yeah, that's a valid point. But I thought many developers did the main testing on Citra....

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The Vita scene is dead.
The 3DS scene is sleeping.
But oh well, the 3DS scene got woken up and rescued by RetroArch :)

(If you don't agree with my statement about the 3DS scene. Compared to the NDS, Wii or psp, the 3DS scene is really sleepy)

I still see people working on exploits so we can run backups, so the scene is very much alive friend.

That's what the real scene is like, sorry to say. Homebrew development is a whole other monster. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited by NEO117,

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been digging through this thread for awhile, but figure a clear answer would be nice. Any way to get playable PS1 on New 3DS 10.5 sys with Ninjahax? Believe the answer is no, but would love to get FF Tactics playable. Currently hovering between 15 and 20 FPS.

Last edited by GreatCrippler, , Reason: can't spell

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
holy shit guys this thing is amazing. just installed retroarch onto my n3ds jp on 9.5j emunand thru ninjhax 2.5. im getting smooth GBA playing in the gpsp, smooth gb/gbc with gambette. smooth snes games with catsfc. AND just tried super mario rpg, kirbys dreamland 3, and yoshis island with pocket snes. i was getting 60 fps 100% playable. is this normal? i thought that these games were special and needed a special chip

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AND just tried super mario rpg, kirbys dreamland 3, and yoshis island with pocket snes. i was getting 60 fps 100% playable. is this normal? i thought that these games were special and needed a special chip
Yeah they use a special chip which has to be emulated as well, but the n3ds is fast enough to do it full speed, so enjoy :)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Been digging through this thread for awhile, but figure a clear answer would be nice. Any way to get playable PS1 on New 3DS 10.5 sys with Ninjahax? Believe the answer is no, but would love to get FF Tactics playable. Currently hovering between 15 and 20 FPS.

Not really. You need dynarec to get better speeds, and that can only be used with 9.2 and below sysNAND (assuming no A9LH) or any emuNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Now she knows a tenth percent of what I go through when you send me pms
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My links could be wild life in nature or wild life in unnatural circumstances lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your links are the Ukraine Russia war
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biden signed a income contract just so you can keep sending me the mutated things that you do
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That just look right with food coloring liquid running down it
    +1
    Muhahahaha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Blue omelette
    +1
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you