Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Early in this topic author has mentioned the MAME 0.72 support, could you reveal plans or progress of it?

No progress yet because all attention and effort has gone into the Android RetroArch port as of lately.

Basically, RetroArch work can be subdivided into a couple of categories -

1 - Porting RetroArch to new platforms (0.9.6 marked the release of the PS3/360 versions - 0.9.7 marked the release of the Xbox 1/Wii versions). Here is where I personally (Squarepusher) invest most of my time in and this is also the console-related portion of development.
2 - Core functionality work. Maister occasionally does most of the work here and most of it starts out as being usable on PC and later on this functionality will move upstream to the console ports (most of the time anyways).
3 - Port maintenance work. For instance, after Maister did the initial port of RetroArch Wii, me and ToadKing did a significant amount of work here. This kind of development takes more time than you'd expect - the initial port by Maister took a couple of weeks, getting it into a releasable state however (and getting decent audio/video sync) took months.
4 - Libretro core work. This is something that everybody could do right now if they wanted to, but as of right now it's still only us (ToadKing/Squarepusher/maister) that have done the majority of libretro ports.

So it's quite a lot of work overall. The Wii port won't get a new version of RetroArch until this Android port is finished because I want each point release to be a major release, and that also gives us some more time to launch the new version with new libretro cores.

Morpheus_72

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
edit3: thanks to some help, I got it figured out. If anyone's experiencing similar problems: Make sure the neogeo.zip is 1.404 KBytes big AND make sure the ROMs are inside named something like 214-c1.c1 , NOT any other structure like rom-c1 or kof96-c1 etc., also make sure they are not .bin files.

Now all it needs is a turbo-button mode :)

Thanks Wolfsclaw for the 1.404 KBytes hint. I already gave up getting NeoGeo ROMs working. But now it is pure fun...

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
No progress yet because all attention and effort has gone into the Android RetroArch port as of lately.

So it's quite a lot of work overall. The Wii port won't get a new version of RetroArch until this Android port is finished because I want each point release to be a major release, and that also gives us some more time to launch the new version with new libretro cores.

Thank you for your answer. Wish a more pro coders will join to your great project.

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is indeed a interesting question. Mednafen core for Neo Geo Pocket, Atari Lynx, Virtual Boy and Gameboy (Advance) would be perfect.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought this had mame all ready oh well.... but still i'll give it a whirl.

also do we have a compatily list for this?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
i thought this had mame all ready oh well.... but still i'll give it a whirl.

also do we have a compatily list for this?

You really don't need one, these guys have done such a fantastic job that you'll only have to look at the file size to see if a game will work or not. Only some very few games glitch up or run slowly but this was on the full FBA core and I suspect that's outside of their control, CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo all work flawlessly

Also, on another note it seems that CD audio for SegaCD has been implemented in the latest Genesis Plus

FullMetalEnginee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There seems to be bugs with button mappings in some games. For example Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mysteria (Euro). A/B do attack/jump fine. X button should scroll items but doesn't work, Y button should use items and also doesn't work.

I found the L button does do scrolling but there is no other mapping that even triggers the button that should use items under Y. This kind of breaks the gameplay, only 3 buttons can be accessed out of 4 under ANY controller configuration or mapping.

Please let me know if this makes doesn't make sense.. One of the buttons doesn't work at all and can't be accessed in the game. This has been a problem in some other roms too

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be bugs with button mappings in some games. For example Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mysteria (Euro). A/B do attack/jump fine. X button should scroll items but doesn't work, Y button should use items and also doesn't work.

I found the L button does do scrolling but there is no other mapping that even triggers the button that should use items under Y. This kind of breaks the gameplay, only 3 buttons can be accessed out of 4 under ANY controller configuration or mapping.

Please let me know if this makes doesn't make sense.. One of the buttons doesn't work at all and can't be accessed in the game. This has been a problem in some other roms too

This has been mentioned many times, and its since been fixed, but the updates arent in the OP, you can compile it yourself or wait for 0.9.8 to be released which will have all the fixes and new features/cores.

Reactions: shadowvz96

FullMetalEnginee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This has been mentioned many times, and its since been fixed, but the updates arent in the OP, you can compile it yourself or wait for 0.9.8 to be released which will have all the fixes and new features/cores.

thanks a lot! sorry for repeating :(

halen

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please, i need help. The question is: when i try to install retro its very slowly and show me a black screen. It is OK??? if not what i do wrong? I download the retroarchi copy to usb apps directory and run with homebrew. I need to install something more?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I've found that some games that logically aren't supposed to run actually do (Gaia Warriors is slightly larger than DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou and it loads just fine)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about Snes9x Next, why do games seem to run "slower" after an hour or so of game play? By slower, I mean by beginning to hear audio crackling, and slight framerate dipping on games that shouldn't have framerate issues in the first place. Is there a memory leak when one is using the Retroarch cores? Exiting and opening up the emulator seems to help, but I shouldn't have to do this every time I experience this issue.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently just jumped on the RA bandwagon and I had to come on here to say thanks to the dev team. You guys have done a phenomenal job, I'm super impressed at how well the emulators are running on the Wii CPU. You guys rock and I'm super hyped up for future plans and updates to the cores for SNES9x-Next and VBA-Next(gpSP in the future).

I had a question if anyone can help. There is a root folder for retroarch which has a "savestates" folder in it yet when I save my game with SNES9x-NEXT for example the save files are never there. They actually save in the same folder as the roms. I'd really like to be able to separate my save states from my games or choose a different folder for my savestates. Is there any way to do this properly or will there be support for this in the near future?

My roms are still on USB1://snes9xgx/roms is this a problem? Should I move my romset within a retroarch folder to get better save functionality?

Thanks again guys for a magnificent emu and really can't wait to see what you guys have in store for the future, I'm sold the Wii is now the #1 system for emulation :D I know you guys are working on the Android port, but if I could ever play Garou:Mark of the Wolves on the Wii or even SVC Chaos I will literally sploosh myself lol.

Reactions: 1 person

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently just jumped on the RA bandwagon and I had to come on here to say thanks to the dev team. You guys have done a phenomenal job, I'm super impressed at how well the emulators are running on the Wii CPU. You guys rock and I'm super hyped up for future plans and updates to the cores for SNES9x-Next and VBA-Next(gpSP in the future).

I had a question if anyone can help. There is a root folder for retroarch which has a "savestates" folder in it yet when I save my game with SNES9x-NEXT for example the save files are never there. They actually save in the same folder as the roms. I'd really like to be able to seperate my save states from my games or choose a different folder for my savestates. Is there any way to do this properly or will there be support for this in the near future?

My roms are still on USB1://snes9xgx/roms is this a problem? Should I move my romset within a retroarch folder to get better save functionality?

Thanks again guys for a magnificent emu and really can't wait to see what you guys have in store for the future, I'm sold the Wii is now the #1 system for emulation :D I know you guys are working on the Android port, but if I could ever play Garou:Mark of the Wolves on the Wii or even SVC Chaos I will literally sploosh myself lol.

haha, YES!!! Garou and SVC Chaos are the 2 neogeo games i REALLY want to play on the wii.....

Reactions: 1 person

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a minor error to report.. when using prboom, i try to use the nunchuk setup and when i customize it, it doesnt save my up,down,left,right settings. it saves all the other buttons, but not those... i have to reset them EVERY time.. no matter what. and ALSO... it wont let me configure L1,L2,R1,R2... so i cant set weapon change with the nunchuk controller setting... as far as i can tell, it wont let you set weapon change no matter what when using wiimote+nunchuk..

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Question about Snes9x Next, why do games seem to run "slower" after an hour or so of game play? By slower, I mean by beginning to hear audio crackling, and slight framerate dipping on games that shouldn't have framerate issues in the first place. Is there a memory leak when one is using the Retroarch cores? Exiting and opening up the emulator seems to help, but I shouldn't have to do this every time I experience this issue.

Does this only happen with SNES9x Next or with any other core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :( +1