Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, just learned that the sound issues have been completely neutralized now that the audio is sampled via a Sinc interpolation filter as opposed to the Hermite sampler they used, and that a version with the bug fixes will be released this weekend (either today or tomorrow I'm sure). Genesis Plus GX was the main offender but has been fixed. Snes9x Next however, is very close to perfection when it comes to how accurate it is.

I have a lot of respect for the people that made this port possible and all the coding they have to test/debug and so on.

Does Retroarch use the same rom and save directories as the other standalone versions of emulators? So I could install *both* Retroarch and all the normal emulators and forwarders, with it not mattering what people choose (retroarch or the normal FCE GX for example), with either option accessing the same rom and save directories? This would instantly solve my problem, as obviously I just install everything.

I also have loads of respect for everyone involved in any way with the making of these softwares (and for gbatemp for helping us be aware of it in the first place).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Retroarch use the same rom and save directories as the other standalone versions of emulators? So I could install *both* Retroarch and all the normal emulators and forwarders, with it not mattering what people choose (retroarch or the normal FCE GX for example), with either option accessing the same rom and save directories? This would instantly solve my problem, as obviously I just install everything.

I also have loads of respect for everyone involved in any way with the making of these softwares (and for gbatemp for helping us be aware of it in the first place).

By default, the ROM and save directory are the same, BUT, you can change it to the appropriate location once you load it.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
By default, the ROM and save directory are the same, BUT, you can change it to the appropriate location once you load it.

Oh, this definitely simplifies things, install all the forwarders, and a retroarch forwarder, and just set retroarch to the same as the standalone rom directories (or set all of them to a central directory)! This is great, I'll get to work in installing everything. I'll need to find a 32GB sdhc to fit all of the roms, the $30 Sandisk sdhc Extreme should do it as it's on the compatibility list. Or I could use a thumb drive or an external USB drive for about the same price and add some Wii games to it too, or figure out WiiWare.

Anyway thanks for the help, I did not realise I could change the default directories on all of these emulators.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What do you mean "not are good"? The emulators on here are better ports than the standalone versions of said emulators. The saves are stored in specific folders.

Snes9x Next > Snes9x GX
Visual Boy Advanced Next > VBA GX
Nestopia Undead > FCEU GX or FCEUmm

NO .FDS support yet, though....
No SMB share support either.
Is PCE CD supported yet?
Sega CD?

What is your definition of better?
Maybe retroarch is more accurate...

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is PCE CD supported yet?
Sega CD?

What is your definition of better?
Now I'm kicking myself for replying to you here (and I hesitate to reply to randomizer too - talk about slaughtering a good topic) but it has to be said: SMB you're being just plain picky, PCE CD yes, Sega CD yes (now with direct audio), but above all one mans definition of better doesn't HAVE to be identical to yours (or anyone elses!) For the rather miniscule amount of FDS games anyone is going to play they'll have to look elsewhere (for the time being), but otherwise this lovely little program allows us to play a host of games we couldn't before on our Wii's (and in honesty with CPS2 many of us thought would never happen), but also many other consoles are emulated [in some peoples eyes] better than their standalone counterparts.... why so negative? Christ almighty you'd think you had actually paid for this the way you go on....

Dogway: yeah I've not found a proper list of 'sped up for PAL' games, and haven't yet tested any other emus (snes9xgx or any PC) to see if they're what I consider fully playable, but it looks like half, maybe most Nintendo 1st party games were sped up for PAL, and the Rare ones, particularly DKC2 & 3 were too..... still, we were always shafted with the letterbox image using 50Hz whatever the speed ehh...

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Now I'm kicking myself for replying to you here (and I hesitate to reply to randomizer too - talk about slaughtering a good topic) but it has to be said: SMB you're being just plain picky, PCE CD yes, Sega CD yes (now with direct audio), but above all one mans definition of better doesn't HAVE to be identical to yours (or anyone elses!) For the rather miniscule amount of FDS games anyone is going to play they'll have to look elsewhere (for the time being), but otherwise this lovely little program allows us to play a host of games we couldn't before on our Wii's (and in honesty with CPS2 many of us thought would never happen), but also many other consoles are emulated [in some peoples eyes] better than their standalone counterparts.... why so negative? Christ almighty you'd think you had actually paid for this the way you go on....

Dogway: yeah I've not found a proper list of 'sped up for PAL' games, and haven't yet tested any other emus (snes9xgx or any PC) to see if they're what I consider fully playable, but it looks like half, maybe most Nintendo 1st party games were sped up for PAL, and the Rare ones, particularly DKC2 & 3 were too..... still, we were always shafted with the letterbox image using 50Hz whatever the speed ehh...
I should probably better called them lacking in retroarch.
This is why I honestly asked randomizer WHY he thinks retroarch is better than the standalone versions.
I also noted fds because in all of the original nes emus this fuction allready is present.
Same as the other more general functions. And No I'm not talking about gui, I could'nt care less about that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I got the idea that retroarch Wii is suppose to become the all in one solution for retro console emulation on Wii?
Right now it's not yet as it does not contain all basic features of the stand alone versions, so I think my observations were valid enough, atm. Blame me for being curious aboiut randomizers thoughts.
If this goes on people start to think this emu is even better than the original sytems. For all I know it might be better allready...
I am not trying to patronize the devs in any way. I'm just very observing, and honest.

I truly think Retroarch has an edge, but to blindly say retroarch is better than the originals, I get picky no less. Right now for the endian user, retroarch is not superior on a per core basis.
I love it nevertheless but I tend to stay objective. And I'm in this for the money. I'm in for the enjoyement, and retroarch helps a lot.

Reactions: mightymuffy

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
'Sup.
I installed this on Android and grabbed the Cave Story files from here, ran the .exe and it just gives me a black screen. :cry:
Any idea how to fix this?

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Hope all is progressing well programming wise. Just wondering if the NXEngine (Cave Story) will be ported in a later release for Wii or if there are any plans for a Libretro port of the Sharp x68000?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I just had another brain storm...

...something the Wii lacks but really needs with or without Wiimote support, don't care as long as it runs smooth and controls well.

Heretic and Hexen. Those have to be doable I'd think!

Yeah they are doable. But first I want to do a Quake 1 libretro port (in software rendering - mainly because GLQuake was inferior to the software renderer - yes, I know that sounds shocking to people, but it really was - no dynamic lighting, no overbright, no water effects, and lots of other stuff that was impossible with immediate mode GL back then). I'll be going with Tyrquake which is the only Quake source port i know of that tries to be mostly accurate and true to the original - which is the direction I want to go in.

But yeah, Heretic and Hexen is definitely something I want to see in libretro (and thus RetroArch). I also want Duke Nukem 3D in here - problem is finding time to do it all.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hope all is progressing well programming wise. Just wondering if the NXEngine (Cave Story) will be ported in a later release for Wii or if there are any plans for a Libretro port of the Sharp x68000?

Cave Story/NXEngine works at last on Wii but there is still one major issue preventing its release right now - sound effects are totally borked on big-endian.

Still, I'm sure it won't be too long until we can get that sorted.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is PCE CD supported yet?
Sega CD?

PCE CD works if you have the BIOS file (syscard3.pce) inside the system directory.
Sega CD work. It's just Genesis Plus GX after all - exact same thing. Besides, this 'libretro port' is not really necessary for Wii anyway as there is a standalone port and unlike others I actually feel ekeeke can do a better job than me there for that system. So you don't have to use the libretro Genesis Plus GX port - it's mainly there for all the other systems that aren't Wii/Gamecube - the world is bigger and composed of more systems than just one Nintendo console you know.

SMB shares I'm not likely to do - the library is quite bloated and I honestly don't see or feel the need for it.

FDS support for NEStopia is being looked into. Then again, what you have had up until now is just FCEUX - and we know how well that works for Famicom Disk System - ie. not very well at all in comparison to NEStopia. So no basis for comparison there.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hielkenator said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I got the idea that retroarch Wii is suppose to become the all in one solution for retro console emulation on Wii?

I've always made it clear that RetroArch is not about any one specific system but more about bringing over an emulator/games portfolio that works across all systems. I try to have the same codebases for all emulators/games running across Xbox 1/Wii/PS3/Xbox 360/Android/Gamecube/PC (Windows/Mac/Linux), and soon to be Blackberry (and iOS if I get some community support there). Pardon me if I'm wrong, but having all of that working (and with more or less decent performance) across all those systems and keeping it updated all the time is one hell of an achievement - I certainly haven't seen anything similar in the past ever being done.

And if all of that wasn't insane enough, pretty soon libretro ports will be running inside XBMC as well. And that is 'without' RetroArch you see - because XBMC will be having its own 'RetroArch player' inside its core.

Think of it more as a distribution platform at this point than just a 'multi-emulator'.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
'Sup.
I installed this on Android and grabbed the Cave Story files from here, ran the .exe and it just gives me a black screen. :cry:
Any idea how to fix this?

I'll give it another try but it's supposed to work like that - copy over the entire datafiles folder, start up Doukutsu.exe - it should do a one-time extraction of files and after that it should 'just work'.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
PCE CD works if you have the BIOS file (syscard3.pce) inside the system directory.
Sega CD work. It's just Genesis Plus GX after all - exact same thing. Besides, this 'libretro port' is not really necessary for Wii anyway as there is a standalone port and unlike others I actually feel ekeeke can do a better job than me there for that system. So you don't have to use the libretro Genesis Plus GX port - it's mainly there for all the other systems that aren't Wii/Gamecube - the world is bigger and composed of more systems than just one Nintendo console you know.

SMB shares I'm not likely to do - the library is quite bloated and I honestly don't see or feel the need for it.

FDS support for NEStopia is being looked into. Then again, what you have had up until now is just FCEUX - and we know how well that works for Famicom Disk System - ie. not very well at all in comparison to NEStopia. So no basis for comparison there.
Yes, the cd games work sorry to not have bothered enough to get this to work.
Retroarch definitely has the edge now.
I presume to know about the awefull slow video and music in genplus gx?

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll give it another try but it's supposed to work like that - copy over the entire datafiles folder, start up Doukutsu.exe - it should do a one-time extraction of files and after that it should 'just work'.
No such extraction happens, just a black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1