Resident Evil fan movie "Keeper's Diary" producers contacted by Capcom, allowing them to continue the project

F4FMmKoXoAABcul.jpg

Resident Evil is one of the most well-known and long standing survival horror franchises, some claiming it as the one series that drove survival horror as a genre into the mainstream, some even saying that it was the franchise that coined the term.

Resident Evil has quite a passionate fan community, some fans even reworking the original games through mods to keep them up to speed with current standards, others working on improving other aspects of recent titles, and of course, given the popularity of it, fan film projects are not far behind.

The latest instance of a fan film inspired by the Resident Evil series comes from an Indie Go Go funding, titled "Keeper's Diary: A Biohazard Story", which is based on the titular file found in both the original Resident Evil (1996) and its Remake (2002). The file recounts the last days of a researcher living inside the Spencer Mansion and how they worked there, and going all the way right when the outbreak started to happen, all written by the same researcher in a diary form and through his own words, eventually going through his transformation into a zombie with the infamous line "itchy. tasty."

The premise of the film is quite interesting, and sure enough it took enough attention to grab Capcom's attention. The producers of the film were contacted directly by Capcom, and this alone is reason enough to get the nerves of any fan working on a passion project going. However, after some discussions back and forth with Capcom, the outcome was quite the opposite of what could have been expected out of the situation.

After a detailed explanation of the ongoing events, Capcom; understanding that the project is non-profit, has given the producers of the fan film permission to continue with the project, and that they will not be restricting the production.

It's worth noting that this doesn't mean that Capcom has endorsed the project, nor that they are associated with the producers in any form, this simply means that Capcom knows of the project and won't take legal measures against it as long as the project remains non-profit. This is quite the contrast compared to when these kind of situations occur with other infamous companies like Nintendo.

The project itself has surpassed its 60% mark to accomplish their goal during the past week, and if you are interesting in funding, keeping up and seeing the fan film project in the near future, be sure to do so in their Indie Go Go's funding page below.

:arrow: Indie Go Go's "Keeper's Diary" funding page

lucasdaolio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If they could not get a green light from Capcom, could they continue with the problem but changing the character profile and clothes a bit?
(Example: Vanessa Valentine and Chris Crisomplain works for the Bright corps to seek a solution for the zombie plague)

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it would've been better PR (for capcom) if they offered to help fund the film to not dmca this film was not a supprise my mentioned "fund the film" would've blown my mind and give me hope for the corperate world to do something nice for once

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm guessing part of the reason Capcom is allowing those fans continue with their project have something to do with Netflix's garbage live action adaptation TV series.

Also, Capcom had taken down two fan made Resident Evil remake games not too long ago (ie. December 2022), so I don't understand why people here thinks for a second that just because they allow one project to continue would mean they are the good guys. WTF?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm guessing part of the reason Capcom is allowing those fans continue with their project have something to do with Netflix's garbage live action adaptation TV series.

Also, Capcom had taken down two fan made Resident Evil remake games not too long ago (ie. December 2022), so I don't understand why people here thinks for a second that just because they allow one project to continue would mean they are the good guys. WTF?

I think the most likely cause of those projects being taken down by Capcom was because they were already working on remakes themselves.
The only exception could be the Code Veronica remake, but we have yet to see if they're actually doing that one as the next remake, or if they'll do RE5 or another game instead.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The companies vs fan films thing is an area we don't see covered on this site very often (compared to fan games, mods, hacks, let's plays and they like as they come under the beady eye of lawyers). One of the more notable events in recent years was probably the Star Trek updated contract on such things a few years back which made a bit of a splash when it hit (not in a good way according to many in the circles, personally I thought it rather generous as these things go).

https://treknews.net/2016/06/23/official-fan-film-guidelines/
https://intl.startrek.com/fan-films
Many considered that restrictive and might well be compared to some but is going to be the thing by which other things get measured.

Anyway the CGI films I have seen (not sure if the one mentioned the other month around here is out yet, have not seen it either way) are not bad actually and I will admit a certain fondness for the original live action series. Netflix (I think the Japanese put down of Politically Correct Evil/Biohazard is marvellous) and the more recent live action film are an affront to all that is good about Resident Evil.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto