Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
He may be talking graphics. The PS3's GPU is about a GeForce 7500. You know, that mid-level video card from back in 2005. My HD 5770 is actually about 19 times as powerful as the PS3's GPU, going off of passmark's numbers...

The PS3 is not a powerful device. The PS3 was considered powerful for a console, back when it was released six years ago.

Reactions: 4 people

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
He may be talking graphics. The PS3's GPU is about a GeForce 7500. You know, that mid-level video card from back in 2005. My HD 5770 is actually about 19 times as powerful as the PS3's GPU, going off of passmark's numbers...

The PS3 is not a powerful device. The PS3 was considered powerful for a console, back when it was released six years ago.

This, the PS3 GPU is underpowered compared to new chips

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me laugh. They say the current generation of GPUs are about 24x more powerful than 360 - PS3. How much real world performance do we get for that? About 2x?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

This, the PS3 GPU is underpowered compared to new chips
Fair enough, but in that case, the wording is at the very best "unfortunate". When you think "performance", you think "overall performance", not just the graphics capabilities.

In this thread: People expecting the next generation to have hyper-photo-realistic graphics of ridiculous levels, while forgetting that great games are all about the experience and aesthetics, not graphics.
You can't expect contemporary software to "work" on "yesterday's" hardware, "specs" mean more than just "graphics", better specs give you more wiggle space and opportunities, nothing more, nothing less.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont see what all the commotion is about this.... its the beginning of a new gaming era...... ofcourse its gonna be more powerful..... thou honestly ps3 was subpar to begin with

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Makes me laugh. They say the current generation of GPUs are about 24x more powerful than 360 - PS3. How much real world performance do we get for that? About 2x?
*ahem*

witcher22011-10-0512-z4dua.png

In this thread: People expecting the next generation to have hyper-photo-realistic graphics of ridiculous levels, while forgetting that great games are all about the experience and aesthetics, not graphics.
Trolling aside, I agree with you. In terms of visual appeal, the art-style matters much more than the technical whiz-bang. Super Mario Galaxy with the Dolphin Emulator in HD looks fucking great despite it not being too impressive technically.

GdzHC.jpg
y62OP.jpg
20gm5c.gif

Even if the Wii U isn't 19x more powerful, an HD Zelda game that looks like this is more than good enough for me.

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, but in that case, the wording is at the very best "unfortunate". When you think "performance", you think "overall performance", not just the graphics capabilities.

Actually, I have to disagree, and my evidence is this forum with people continually arguing against "Nintendrones" about how graphics, not total performance, are just as important as gameplay when the console wars of this generation are put into play.

Reactions: 1 person

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the Wii U isn't 19x more powerful, an HD Zelda game that looks like this is more than good enough for me.
I expect it to be even better than that even if it becomes a different art style like what happen with the gamecube.

Unless it grows lips and gives me a BJ IDGAF.
lolwat?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually, I have to disagree, and my evidence is this forum with people continually arguing against "Nintendrones" about how graphics, not total performance, are just as important as gameplay when the console wars of this generation are put into play.
That's not what I meant.

Obviously a video game console has to reach a certain level of specs performance to be treated seriously by the developers and the users alike, but that in itself does not create a necessity for superb graphics - it merely creates the opportunity to use them. There are numerous arcade titles both on the 360 and the PS3 that are far from "using up" what the system has to offer, and yet they are thoroughly enjoyed simply because they're fun.

Graphics matter, yes, but they're not in the hands of hardware manufacturers. It's the software developers that shower players with eyecandy, and hardware manufacturers are supposed to give them enough metaphorical "room" to create said eyecandy.

Reactions: 2 people

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*ahem*
"The Witcher 2 in beautiful 2560x1440"
Yep! that's about twice the resolution 2x or 2^2 which is only 4x. It still doesn't scale to being 24x as good which is what everyone expects when they here figures like that quoted.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People just need to stop expecting launch titles and even future games to fully utilise hardware when there's no need to. Sure the next generation consoles are going to have a lot of power, but using that power to it's fullest potential costs a lot of money, and most of the time, it's a waste of money.

THANK YOU! The sad thing is this whole thread is pointless... until Wii U, 720, and ps4 come out there will really be nothing to compare it to.... weve yet to and probly never will use the full potential of our systems no matter how much we want to... the programming isnt there... and there is no reason for it to be...

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Yep! that's about twice the resolution 2x or 2^2 which is only 4x. It still doesn't scale to being 24x as good which is what everyone expects when they here figures like that quoted.
You don't judge that based on the resolution.

Unless you think the PS360 (1280x720) have only 3x the real-world performance over the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox (640x480).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
THANK YOU! The sad thing is this whole thread is pointless... until Wii U, 720, and ps4 come out there will really be nothing to compare it to.... weve yet to and probly never will use the full potential of our systems no matter how much we want to... the programming isnt there... and there is no reason for it to be...
What are you on about? Of course it is.

Several developers already stated that they've reached an impenetrable wall as far as technical limitations are concerned, including studios such as Naughty Dog who are known for stellar graphics. Have a look at cross-platform games that happen to have a PC release - the console versions run at medium details at best. The current generation consoles are exhausted, they are overstaying their welcome and it's about time for a new generation of hardware to roll in.

The programming is there, the graphics are there, the consoles are not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk