Homebrew RELEASE Ren'Py port to Nintendo Switch

Kotomine Kirei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sort of confused about this.
Can you play Ren'Py PC games that others made on the Switch with this, or is this only a tool to convert games that you made into nro files for the Switch?

If you can play games that others made with it, do you have to turn the game into an nro to do so?
If you do not have to convert it, how exactly do you use it?

Never mind.
You just create a folder, place renpy, renpy.py, renpy-switch.nro and lib.zip in it, and then place the game's "game" folder in that folder as well.

Thank you for porting Ren'Py to the Switch, uyjulian.

AamitMorthos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get saves to work? I've tried putting the save folder from a game I was currently playing and it wouldn't read the saves when the folder was in the 'game' folder or just out side of it. Do they save in a different spot because I started a new game for a second and I couldn't find where that saved to.

Helidwarf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do I get saves to work? I've tried putting the save folder from a game I was currently playing and it wouldn't read the saves when the folder was in the 'game' folder or just out side of it. Do they save in a different spot because I started a new game for a second and I couldn't find where that saved to.

when you first make a save in a renpy game it will create a folder in the root of your sd called Ren'Py Data and inside there should be a folder named after your game, you put the game saves in there.

Reactions: AamitMorthos

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you rebind controls? cuz every time i get to the "enter your name" part of the game that requires me to use the Switch's virtual keyboard i could never pass it whenever i finish entering my name.

forcing me to go and plug in an actual physical keyboard to progress

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The project is now archived.

Since Switchroot Android has gotten a lot better over the past couple of months, please use it with the official Android port of Ren'Py instead.
I don't think that just saying "Use Android on Switchroot" is a good solution since even though Switchroot has gotten better it still has a lot of issues and isn't even compatible with Most Switch Models out there. Really seems like people are very squeamish about homebrew on the Nintendo Switch and want to avoid it as much as possible and thus would rather run Android instead of support Homebrew SDKs like DevkitPro SMH.

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
On Russian forums like 4pda there is a fork that solves most of the problems, including the keyboard. It also collects novels into one NSP file and saves them like other normal games.

Reactions: hippy dave

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that just saying "Use Android on Switchroot" is a good solution since even though Switchroot has gotten better it still has a lot of issues and isn't even compatible with Most Switch Models out there. Really seems like people are very squeamish about homebrew on the Nintendo Switch and want to avoid it as much as possible and thus would rather run Android instead of support Homebrew SDKs like DevkitPro SMH.
The problem with developing with devkitPro is memory fragmentation and memory leaks. Also, the API is going to be limited and non-POSIX, which means some projects will break.

As the Python version in Ren'Py gets updated, more stuff will break due to the API issue.

Another issue is no video decode acceleration. When you try to play movies they will stutter heavily due to using software decode and hardware decode. libnx does not provide video decode acceleration.

And lastly, a major issue is the debugging experience. If the program crashes, I would need to reboot the whole console before I can send a new updated executable. Compared to Android, where if the program crashes, it can just go back to the home screen and I can immediately send a new, updated APK through ADB.

Simply put, devkitPro
1. is not standards compliant
2. is missing features
3. has a bad development workflow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up