Hacking [Release] vWii Theme Injector - Inject themes into vWii System Menu

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<snip>

Just use ThemeMii to inject themes into your vWii system menu app. I wasn't aware that that application had the ability to do that.

The vWii system menu app can be found on your Wii U in this folder:
/slccmpt01/title/00000001/00000002/content/

On NTSC consoles, you're looking for 0000001f.app
On PAL consoles, you're looking for 00000022.app​

Last edited by Irastris,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if a theme borks the vWii System menu I could push (upload) the original "0000001f.app" to "slccmpt01/title/00000001/00000002/content/" correct?

Also, there was a member who used MyMenufy on her vWii and made her vWii System menu unusable. Would pushing an unmodified 0000001f.app to her Wii U fix her issue?

Edit: I don't know anything about MyMenufy/Wii themes. Is there a thread or a site where I can find a list of .mym files?

Edit 2: Is wii.spiffy360.com OK? I think I found the theme referred to in the OP:

http://wii.spiffy360.com/theme/661/DarkWii_Orange_US

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh damn, Dark Red bricks vWii?
That's the one I had in my original Wii, I'd love to see it working in vWii. :/

Here's hoping it will some day.
Besides from Dark Orange, which other themes are working?

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
so this does the same as thememii and nothing different
building a fully compatible vwii theme is not too difficult there are only minor naming differences in the archive between wii and vwii
i just never released any as there was no brick protection

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this does the same as thememii and nothing different
building a fully compatible vwii theme is not too difficult there are only minor naming differences in the archive between wii and vwii
i just never released any as there was no brick protection

I'm checking out your Wii Theme Team Creations thread right now. So are none of those themes likely to work due to differences between the Wii and vWii? The DarkWii Red theme looks awesome.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
the main board should work but the settings and diskchannel will not work
but it would not be hard for me to make one up that should fully work

i didnt think anybody cared about vwii themes as nobody has ever asked me

Last edited by diddy81,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would think a lot of people would be interested in vWii themes. I think the reason why nobody was messing with them is like you said. Prior to IOSUhax there was no way to recover from a bad theme.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
I would think a lot of people would be interested in vWii themes. I think the reason why nobody was messing with them is like you said. Prior to IOSUhax there was no way to recover from a bad theme.

very true no protection is why i never took vwii themes any further
also since the vwii nand is the same layout as the wii i see no reason why mymenuify would not work for installing themes and use wupclient as a way to install if a theme doesnt work

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

also since the vwii nand is the same layout as the wii i see no reason why mymenuify would not work for installing themes and use wupclient as a way to install if a theme doesnt work
Well to tell the truth, Irastris did this because he wanted to see if indeed it was possible to make it work on vWii without ut bricking. That started as an idea of "well someone bricked their vWii with a theme. Let's see if it can be recovered" It indeed is.

Reactions: Irastris

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very true no protection is why i never took vwii themes any further

OK. I just assumed that MyMenufy did something different. So you're saying that like the above linked program, MyMenufy only alters the Wii System Menu app? If that's the case I'll just use MyMenuify and upload the backup of my Wii System Menu app should it fail.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
OK. I just assumed that MyMenufy did something different. So you're saying that like the above linked program, MyMenufy only alters the Wii System Menu app? If that's the case I'll just use MyMenuify and upload the backup of my Wii System Menu app should it fail.

mymenuify only installs a csm(which is just a renamed app file ) over the system menu app on nand
thememii is used to inject the contents of a mym in to a system menu app giving you a csm

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just curious...
Has the OP tried to edit the source files of the Dark Orange theme, grab only the files related to the orange lines/stripes and change its hue/saturation/contrast to make it Dark Red, then install the Dark Orange Mod (which should now be Dark Red with the modifications in colour) and see if that works?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mymenuify only installs a csm(which is just a renamed app file ) over the system menu app on nand
thememii is used to inject the contents of a mym in to a system menu app giving you a csm

So could I recover from a bad theme by using wup client to upload the unmodified copy of the System Menu app? Would I have to delete anything?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's always worth a shot