1. Doczu

Doczu Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    You're telling me it will be (or already is) possible to play Cannon Fodder, Benefactor, Space Hulk, Space Crusade and Alien Breed on my n3DS?!
    Holy shit i have to try it at home!

xxangelxx likes this.
  2. Badda

OP Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    Yes, should be already possible. If not, any feedback is appreciated :-)

SLiV3R and Doczu like this.
  3. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

@Badda

First impressions

Great compatibility for an early release

Graphics look accurate on the n3DS screen

Works perfectly on Luma 6.6

Standard button mappings are very intuitive

Simple but effective UI

Save states are perfect

Issues

Audio playback sounds 10% slower than it should be across the board with standard n3DS Clock. Clock/L2 the same, almost like its a NTSC running in PAL issue?

Suggestions

Concentrate purely on optimising vanilla A500 experience first

Map power and disk lights to charge and wifi LEDs on 3DS

Ability to bind keyboard presses to buttons/remap

Scanline overlay

Disk read speed option

Map mouse pointer 1:1 with top screen cursor location

Overall a really good early release, surprised no one else has noticed the sound issue though.

SLiV3R, ChibiMofo and Badda like this.
  4. Badda

OP Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    Thanks for the feedback - what's a scanline overlay?

5. PetePetePetePete

Newcomer

Czech Republic
    version 0.2 seems much better. Lionheart has still some graphical glitches. Agony - it seems emulator doesnt use extra half-brite mode with 64 colours, Agony has loading screens in this mode.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Scanline overlay - scanlines are visible on old crt displays. Winuae or retroarch use shaders overlay for this, but with cost of performance

Last edited by PetePetePetePete, Mar 3, 2020
  6. Badda

OP Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    Ah, ok, understood. I'm not very fond of CRT or scanline emulation in general. Here a post from @spinal_cord in the vice3DS thread regarding exactly this topic.
    I totally agree with his point. A scanline overlay would be emulating a defective (or rather: once unavoidable) screen behavior, which is fixed on todays LCD screens and that is a good thing! Apart from this, a scanline overlay would take away precious space on the small 3DS display.

Last edited by Badda, Mar 3, 2020
    ChibiMofo likes this.
  7. PetePetePetePete

Newcomer

Czech Republic
    I have several crt displays, including VGA 15khz capable, ideal for Amiga. Real scanlines are best on real crt and I love it. Emulating on lcd is possible, but disputable. Winuae has several shader options with pal colors, scanlines etc. Playing with these settings can produce very good results, but still it is not like crt, in my opinion. And 3DS has 240 pixels high screen, for better scanlines - resolution would have to be doubled? (if I am wrong, correct me somebody).

By the way, I tested Agony again. Loading screens with smaller amount of colour, everything is cca 20% slower, but after long loading, main game is perfect - speed, sound, and animations are as it should be :) (ok, in half of first level was short glitch). Agony is exact timed game and good for emulator tests, so this is good news

Last edited by PetePetePetePete, Mar 3, 2020
    Badda likes this.
  8. replicashooter

Yeah, good points. The 240p screen on the DS is perfect for Amiga as it makes the games look how they should/as remembered.

@Badda what is causing this across the board slowdown? It really does feel like when a 60hz game is played at 50hz as its not stuttering just everything is happening at less speed than it should?

I'm just using regular A500 games to test so far and I've noticed it across the board with pitched down sound etc..

9. Badda

OP Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    Hm, no idea TBH. I'm checking though ... maybe I can find the cause ...

10. MarioKartFan

MarioKartFan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    This same issue occurs on your excellent C64 emulator too.

11. replicashooter

I get the feeling its something to do with your frameskip code, all of the options cause varying degrees of acceleration with auto causing the perfect sync but slowed down issue so maybe something in there about the clock rate needs to be tweaked as it seems to be running correctly just at the wrong number of cycles. Aside from the slower rendering its quite good emulation as is so if that were fixed it would be a great leap.

SLiV3R likes this.
  12. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    Whoa! You think the Amiga was just about "inferior" arcade ports and adventure games? You really have a LOT to learn about the Amiga, my amigo. Sheesh. I can't remember any of my Amiga friends getting excited over any adventure games (Defender of the Crown and other Cinemaware games were pretty, but unexciting and not among the best Amiga games of their day), and our arcade ports like Marble Madness not only were the best of any contemporary platform, but due to the controls of Marble Madness in particular, better than MAME can even achieve now. Lastly, games were a minor reason the Amiga sold, at least in the states. It was a multimedia production machine first, with Lotus-compatible spreadsheets, the first-of-their-kind databases that supported graphics and sound, and even WordPerfect for Amiga. Earl Weaver Baseball was by far best on the original Amiga version and, as late as 1994, appear in one magazine's list of the top 50 games ever. This was a 16 bit machine with separate co-processors for graphics and sound. No PC and no console in 1987 could touch it for arcade ports, arcade-style games, nor anything else.

SLiV3R, Zense, SmashinGit and 2 others like this.
  13. Badda

OP Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    I've been able to fix this for Turrican by increasing the trottle in the menu to 60.
    Can you check if increasing the throttle fixes the issue?
    Chui's uae4all page states throttle values and compatibilities for a lot of games:
    http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/uae4all.html

SLiV3R likes this.
  14. replicashooter

Played around with that and the sound is still off no matter what you do. Which source code did you port as the Dingoo one has the same issues. Have you looked at UAE4ALL2 source?

https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases

As thats a great implementation on Vita.

SLiV3R likes this.
  15. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    Don't know it that's the same uae4all2 source you're both talking about.

16. Badda

OP Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    Yes, that is basically the same code, I actually got it to compile by now but it is way too slow for the 3DS. In the end, the mentioned version is made for PS vita or Nintendo Switch which both have way more processing power

Last edited by Badda, Mar 12, 2020
  17. daemonspudguy

daemonspudguy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm curious how this will pan out.

SLiV3R likes this.
  18. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick GBAtemp Regular

France
    I hope your project will be similar to what have been done on Switch. I love the Amiga. Thanks for this.

I am waiting for KS 3.1 support and HDF to load my WB :)

19. Mirqq

Mirqq Newbie
    Newcomer

Poland
    I've just checked and it works with kick 2.05.

PetePetePetePete and Badda like this.
  20. tomasowa

tomasowa Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Maybe try figuring out context before jumping on a rant.
    There is a chronological order to comments and replies here, and if you gave half a second to see the comments that preceded mine, it wouldn't take much of an intellect to see where mine came from.

But you do you, man.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [Release], Emulator, Nintendo