ROM Hack [RELEASE] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - Hamtaro & Cheburashka Restoration Patch

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (1.1 Update)
Hamtaro & Cheburashka Restoration Patch

yJLcbsa.png

Hello everyone!

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this, so I'm really sorry about the wait! I've been hard at work to update my previous Hamtaro restoration patch to be compatible with the 1.1 version of the game, and after many hours of hard work, making sure everything is perfect, I'm proud to finally release this updated version of my patch!

Compared to my previous patch for the 1.0 version of this game, there have been a LOT of improvements to Hamtaro-related elements of the game. I'll include a changelog of those at the end of this post. Unlike another Hamtaro patch for v1.1 I've seen floating around (and yes, I've seen at least one), this patch is fully-featured, and nothing is missing.

In addition, I've also restored another friend of ours that was sadly only available in Japan... Cheburashka!

Patch Features:
  • Hamtaro has been added to the title screen as a visual indicator the patch has been loaded
  • Hamtaro has been added to the game as a pet
  • Cheburashka has been added to the game as a pet
  • The "missing" Hamtaro cutscenes that were translated by XSEED, but hidden in the US release (and actually removed entirely in the 1.1 update) will play as they normally would.
    • The few lines of dialogue that were missing from that official translation have been translated, and are included. Minor grammar errors and other text fixes have been made.
  • ALL lines of dialogue said by NPCs when Hamtaro is following you have been translated.
  • The Cheburashka cutscenes that were cut from the US 1.1 update entirely have been fully translated and will play as they normally would.
  • The patch is compatible with the DLC, but the DLC is completely optional. This patch will work with or without the DLC.

Screenshots:
SPOILER WARNING: Below are screenshots of the added cutscenes. I realize that some people may want to keep these cutscenes a surprise, so I am making this a spoiler section.
pfs5b7r.png

sIvnAst.png

a0lrOuv.png

6giHaqr.png

How to unlock Hamtaro and Cheburashka, and how to view each new cutscene:
SPOILER WARNING: I realize some users would prefer to keep this a surprise, so I am making this a spoiler section.
How to get Hamtaro:

To get Hamtaro, you must have met the following characters:
  • Brad
  • Dessie
  • Witchie
If you have not met any one of those characters, you won't be able to get Hamtaro until you do. Once you've met all of the characters listed above, simply walk into the main area of Westown, and you will see the Hamtaro cutscene. Hamtaro will become available after this cutscene.

How to view the second Hamtaro cutscene:

You can see the second Hamtaro cutscene once per year, on Summer 6th. To view the cutscene, you must have already met Inari, and you must already have Hamtaro with you. You will see the cutscene when you wake up on Summer 6th. This cutscene plays every year on that day.

How to get Cheburashka:

To get Cheburashka, you must have met the following characters:
  • Dessie
  • Witchie
  • Inari
If you have not met any one of those characters, you won't be able to get Cheburashka until you do. Once you've met all of the characters listed above, simply walk into the northern area of Lulukoko, and you will see the Cheburashka cutscene. Cheburashka will become available after this cutscene.

How to view the bonus Cheburashka cutscenes + what gift items you get from him:

Cheburashka will give you bonus items at certain levels of friendship.
There is a cutscene for each gift he gives you. He will do this three times total.
After you've received all three gifts, you won't get any more items from Cheburashka.

You'll get:
  • (10) x [Thyme] at 3 hearts
  • (20) x [Black Branch] at 6 hearts
  • (5) x [Philosopher's Stone] at 9 hearts

Prerequisites:
  • This patch will only work on the USA version of Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
  • Before applying this patch, you MUST update your game using the official 1.1 patch
  • This is a LayeredFS patch. It requires the use of the Luma3DS CFW.
    • This patch has only been tested on Luma3DS versions 8.1.1 and 9.0. Lower versions have not been tested. Please use a recent version of Luma3DS.

Download and Usage:
Please note that this patch contains files that were only available in the Japanese version of this game, as well as the Japanese 1.4 update. They were removed entirely from the USA version and USA 1.1 update, respectively, likely due to licensing reasons. Namely, the 3D models for both pets. As such, I cannot simply post the patch files here, as it would violate GBATemp's strict rules regarding sharing copyrighted content. Instead, I am making available to you an xdelta patch that will allow you to generate this patch yourself, provided you have your own copies of the Japanese base game, and Japanese 1.4 update. I will include easy-to-use scripts that will automatically generate the patch, provided you have the required files.

The archive attached to this post contains no copyrighted data whatsoever, and is useless without the Japanese base game RomFS, and the Japanese 1.4 update RomFS.

I realize this will add some complexity and confusion, and I apologize for that. But, again, unlike my release thread on a certain other forum where 3DS games are discussed, I cannot simply post the patch files here as-is. I hope you understand.

First, download the archive attached to this thread, and follow the included instructions to generate the patch. When you are done, you should receive a .zip file. That zip file will have a folder named "luma" in it, which will need to be copied to the root of your SD card. Please refer to the ReadMe within the generated .zip for more information.

Patch Changelog and Version History:
Version 1.0:
-----------------
* Initial Release (Hamtaro Only)

Version 1.1:
-----------------
* Patch updated to support the official 1.1 update, and the DLC
* Cheburashka has been added to the game as a pet
* All of Cheburashka's cutscenes have been translated and are now available
* All of the missing flavor text for Hamtaro from NPC's has been translated and will display normally
* Minor grammar mistakes in the original Hamtaro cutscene have been corrected

Version 1.2:
-----------------
* Translated and added lines of text that were previously missing from Dessie's dialogue options after unlocking Cheburashka
* Translated and added minor system messages about Cheburashka
* Fixed a bug where the "Animal Notebook" would not open from the pet house Cheburashka is living in
* Changed a handful of spelling and grammar mistakes in the Animal Shop about Hamtaro
Special Thanks:
I'd like to thank the following people for making this project possible:
  • The contributors of the Kuriimu Toolkit for making this MUCH easier to create. It's an amazing, well-programmed toolkit.
  • /u/PinkDawn on Reddit for helping me translate some of the more complicated NPC dialogues. He is an EXCELLENT Japanese tutor and translator!
  • @leanderson2006 for reporting that Dessie's lines were missing in version 1.1 of this patch, and providing me with a save file I could test with

Known Issues:

As of version 1.2 of this patch, there is a known issue, where having/interacting with the Mushroom Log item on your farm will cause the game to crash. This is due to an incompatibility with LayeredFS. Please refer to this comment for more information.

FAQ:

Q: Can I go online with this patch, or use StreetPass?
A: Yes, you will be able to go online with this patch. I've looked into the game's code, and I have found that Cheburashka and Hamtaro are both not usable with StreetPass. Since Cheburashka and Hamtaro cannot be sent to other players' games, there is absolutely no risk associated with using this patch with networked play.

Q: Will this patch be compatible with my save game?
A: Yes. You do not need to start over to use this patch. If you already meet the unlock criteria, then the respective cutscenes will play once you enter the area the cutscene plays in. However, as a rule of thumb, it is always a good idea to back up your save file before using any kind of game patch. I highly recommend you do so.

Q: What should I do if I used the previous version of your Hamtaro patch?
A:
  • If you used the "archive" version, which was compatible with NTR's LayeredFS format, you shouldn't need to do anything. Feel free to remove those files, as they are no longer needed. Follow the included instructions to apply this patch using Luma3DS' LayeredFS feature.
  • If you used the HANS version, and you are still using HANS, you will not be able to use this patch until you install Luma3DS to your system.
Regardless of which of those two you used, your save file will still work.

If you recompiled your own .CIA using the RomFS generated by the previous version of my Hamtaro patch, you should be alright to use this version, as every file has been replaced. However, if something unexpected happens, please try using a clean version of the game before reporting any issues.

Q: I've already unlocked Hamtaro using the previous version of your Hamtaro patch, but I want to see the cutscenes again. What should I do?
A: If you want to see the cutscenes again, please PM me, and I will make you a special patch that is programmed to play the cutscenes over again. If enough people request this, I will include an optional folder that you can use to view the cutscenes.

Q: When I talk to a certain NPC, they either say "......" or have "......" listed as a dialog option. Is this normal?
A: No, this is not normal. If you see this, it means I've missed a line of text, and the game is attempting to load a line of text that does not exist. That text either needs to be translated, or moved to the correct location in the game. If you encounter this, please give me as much information as you can, as well as a copy of your save file dumped by JKSM. This will help me figure out what needs to be fixed.

Q: What should I do if I think I've found an issue, if my game crashes, or something doesn't seem right?
A: Please feel free to report them here! I will happily fix any issues you come across. If this happens to you, please give me as much information as possible, including where you were in the game, and how to reproduce the issue. Additionally, a backup of your save file will REALLY help me track down issues.

Thank you all for your support. Have fun!!!

Attachments

• SoS_3oT_H+C_1.2_xdelta.zip
    5 MB · Views: 1,956
Last edited by ubergeek77,

Patrickz22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
You did a very welldone work with this one but can i still connect online and trade crops with my friend while using this mod?

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You did a very welldone work with this one but can i still connect online and trade crops with my friend while using this mod?
I haven't personally used the online features of this game, and I have no way of testing this, but based on what I know about the layout of the game, you should be fine trading items. All core game functions were left untouched. I'm concerned about what happens in Streetpass, though. With Streetpass, your pet may be sent to another player's game. Hypothetically, if Hamtaro or Cheburashka is sent to another player's game, and they aren't using the patch, their game will most likely crash. If you're worried about that, I would recommend disabling Streetpass for this game. Based on this official website for the game, it doesn't look like pets are sent unless you use Streetpass, so that may be all you need to do.

Edit: I've updated the OP with detailed information about StreetPass. @Patrickz22, thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.

I've determined that StreetPass is safe to use, as Hamtaro and Cheburashka are not eligible to be sent as your StreetPass pet.

Reactions: Patrickz22

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A+ job on this! :) I just followed the readme and everything went smoothly despite me not playing it yet. I ran into no issues when using the previous version of the hack. I'm looking forward to playing with both of these pets!

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am using the patch with luma 9.0 however in my system New 3ds I realized that loading is very time consuming, when I go from one place to another deleting the romfs folder of the luma folder the loading becomes normal. loading takes exactly 20 seconds with the patch.Is it normal or is there something wrong?

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A+ job on this! :) I just followed the readme and everything went smoothly despite me not playing it yet. I ran into no issues when using the previous version of the hack. I'm looking forward to playing with both of these pets!
You're very welcome! I'm glad everything went okay - I was a little paranoid that people would have checksum issues with their own dumps, so I'm happy this turned out to be a good release format.

Thank you very much for the update.
but could anyone give me a light on how to create a cia with these files? I already unpacked the patch but now I do not know where to go kkkk noob.
You do not need to pack this patch into a .cia. In fact, due to the way the patch loads, and that the official 1.1 update is required, you actually can't pack it into a .cia. Please follow the instructions and use LayeredFS.

I am using the patch with luma 9.0 however in my system New 3ds I realized that loading is very time consuming, when I go from one place to another deleting the romfs folder of the luma folder the loading becomes normal. loading takes exactly 20 seconds with the patch.Is it normal or is there something wrong?

I've never run into this before. It sounds very likely that your SD card is nearing the end of its life, as SD cards become slow when they are about to burn out due to "flash wear." Please try another SD card.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would highly recommend backing up all data from your SD card, just in case it's about to break.

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You're very welcome! I'm glad everything went okay - I was a little paranoid that people would have checksum issues with their own dumps, so I'm happy this turned out to be a good release format.

You do not need to pack this patch into a .cia. In fact, due to the way the patch loads, and that the official 1.1 update is required, you actually can't pack it into a .cia. Please follow the instructions and use LayeredFS.

I've never run into this before. It sounds very likely that your SD card is nearing the end of its life, as SD cards become slow when they are about to burn out due to "flash wear." Please try another SD card.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would highly recommend backing up all data from your SD card, just in case it's about to break.

Thanks for the attention, I solved the problem was really the Sd card that was getting bad, now I have a question what day the cheburashka appears? I met Dessie Witchie and Inari. I'm in the fall 7th of the year 1 I joined the northern region of Lulukoko and could not activate the event. Thank you so much for everything, good morning.

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the attention, I solved the problem was really the Sd card that was getting bad, now I have a question what day the cheburashka appears? I met Dessie Witchie and Inari. I'm in the fall 7th of the year 1 I joined the northern region of Lulukoko and could not activate the event. Thank you so much for everything, good morning.

I don't see anything in the code that requires the event to be on or after a specific day. Are you sure you meet all of the requirements? Is Hamtaro on the title screen?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: leanderson2006

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't see anything in the code that requires the event to be on or after a specific day. Are you sure you meet all of the requirements? Is Hamtaro on the title screen?

Yes, hamtaro is present in the screen title, I have the necessary requirements, I met Dessie, Witchie and Inari I entered the northern region of Lulukoko, but did not trigger the cheburashka event.

Last edited by leanderson2006,

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, hamtaro is present in the screen title, I have the necessary requirements, I met Dessie, Witchie and Inari I entered the northern region of Lulukoko, but did not trigger the cheburashka event.
Would you be able to use JKSM to give me a copy of your save file? It would help me figure out what went wrong.

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would you be able to use JKSM to give me a copy of your save file? It would help me figure out what went wrong.

https://imgur.com/QBQT75G
QBQT75G

I managed to make the event work, I was going before 10 in the morning, it seems that before that time did not trigger the event. and I have another question for the cheburashka to appear in my house (it appears inside the house? What I have to do after the kkkk event). what I understood, I have to talk to the Deise, but when I talk to her, the dialogues are with ..... and this is normal? forgiveness is filling you and I have many doubts and my English is not very good. I'm posting an image to see better.

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://imgur.com/QBQT75G
QBQT75G

I managed to make the event work, I was going before 10 in the morning, it seems that before that time did not trigger the event. and I have another question for the cheburashka to appear in my house (it appears inside the house? What I have to do after the kkkk event). what I understood, I have to talk to the Deise, but when I talk to her, the dialogues are with ..... and this is normal? forgiveness is filling you and I have many doubts and my English is not very good. I'm posting an image to see better.
I can't see the image, but if you see "......," it means I missed some text, and I will have to release an update to this patch.

I do not have a save file with pets unlocked yet. Please use JKSM to give me a save file for your game. It will help me figure out what I need to fix.

Edit: I've updated the original post with information about this error. I'll begin working on a fix as soon as possible.

If anyone is able to give me a save file with Cheburashka already unlocked, it would be greatly appreciated. I currently only have debug saves I made for myself, but I need a save where Cheburashka has been unlocked through normal means.

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can't see the image, but if you see "......," it means I missed some text, and I will have to release an update to this patch.

I do not have a save file with pets unlocked yet. Please use JKSM to give me a save file for your game. It will help me figure out what I need to fix.

here is my save he has already seen the hantaro and cheburashka events but still could not get him to my house.

Attachments

• Save SoSToT.rar
    246.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by leanderson2006,

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Thanks! I'll try to fix this as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for your work and for your answers. now I received the cheburashka that I put in a pet house and there is also text with "......" and when I select Check Animal Notebook, it just does not open, maybe it is a bug. reporting here in case of any help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1