Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Is this the best way to emulate Genesis stuff on the New 3DS as well or is it worth getting retroarch up and running?

2. My CD games are in .cue/.bin format but picodrive can't see the .cue files. I got Shining Force CD running by selecting the track1.bin but end result was missing music. Went and got a copy in .iso/.mp3 format. Picodrive could see the .iso file but loading the game up resulted in the same missing music.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GenesisGX on retroarch is more accurate especially for sound, but features slowdown in many games, so I just stick with this.

Bin files can contain multiple tracks, so grab those if you can. There should also be a way to make them too. Same with ISOs, if you convert the MP3 to redbook and join it into a CD.

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My current collection is a one .cue file per CD with several attached .bins, I'm assuming each .bin is a separate CD track, not sure how to make that into something picodrive will recognize.

edit: there seem to be a lot of tools out there that claim to do this but I'm having a hard time deciding which one is the least sketchy.

Last edited by cugel,

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried several applications with no luck and hopefully no adware ingested.

Is there a reason this version of picodrive can't see .cue files?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried several applications with no luck and hopefully no adware ingested.

Is there a reason this version of picodrive can't see .cue files?

If the game is a *.cue and *.bin (or *.iso), this means it's a Sega CD game. You'll need to find and supply the bios to play this library.

While there were several version releases for the bios, here's the set I use as reference. The bold tags refer to CRC32 hashes.
  • smdc:/3ds/picodrive_3ds/bios/
    • bios_CD_E.bin - 4D5CB8DA
    • bios_CD_J.bin - DD6CC972
    • bios_CD_U.bin - 9F6F6276

For the example of Sonic CD from this post here, notice how there are only two files.
  • sonic_cd_-_sega_cd_MK-4407_(redump).bin - D4E227FA
  • sonic_cd_-_sega_cd_MK-4407_(redump).cue - 122F818D

The CUE sheet looks like this. You have to make sure your first line has the exact name of the *.bin (or *.iso) file. Ignore the difference in upper and lower cases as most computers and electronics are not case sensitive.

Code:
FILE "SONIC_CD_-_SEGA_CD_MK-4407_(REDUMP).BIN" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 13:10:11
  TRACK 34 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 52:14:71
    INDEX 01 52:16:71
  TRACK 35 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 53:47:73
    INDEX 01 53:49:73

If a game consists of multiple *.bin files and the CUE sheet refers to them piecewise, you'll need to virtual mount the image and convert/merge the *.bin files into a single *.bin (or *.iso).

Although these guides are for a CD game from a different emulator, the techniques there should apply for your scenario.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

TopazPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm having a bit of an issue with PicoDrive 3DS v0.94. I've installed it as a CIA on my CFW N3DS, with the clock/L2 settings at default. When trying to play a Genesis game, the actual game and SFX works fine, but the instruments for the music is desynced, making it very unpleasant to listen to. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or know how to fix it?

TopazPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please tell us the name of the game you have issues with?
I'm experiencing this issue with all of the games I have tried running thus far (for Genesis). This includes Sonic 3D Blast (Director's Cut), Metal Sonic Hyperdrive (V2), and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Based on the properties of this bug, I imagine it will happen for any other Genesis game I attempt to load. If there is a game you'd like me to test, let me know.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm experiencing this issue with all of the games I have tried running thus far (for Genesis). This includes Sonic 3D Blast (Director's Cut), Metal Sonic Hyperdrive (V2), and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Based on the properties of this bug, I imagine it will happen for any other Genesis game I attempt to load. If there is a game you'd like me to test, let me know.
Yeah, there's some sort of timing issue going on with the DAC. Not sure what the cause is but it gets progressively worse as the app runs. Might have to do with sleep mode/home menu issues again?

TopazPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there's some sort of timing issue going on with the DAC. Not sure what the cause is but it gets progressively worse as the app runs. Might have to do with sleep mode/home menu issues again?
Damn. Is there a previous version of PicoDrive 3DS that I can use that doesn't have this bug? Or should I just use GenesisGX from Retroarch for now?

TopazPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found a solution, NSUI Picodrive doesn't desync, but I can only do this for a handful of games if I want to have any storage left on my MicroSD.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those look really sweet. Gonna check it out, does this version have the audio bug? If not, it's a keeper.
I meant your SD card storage issue. Treat yourself by buying a bigger card. Sorry for the confusion, lol

No, those emulator forks will not perform any better than Bubble's main branches. They're just colorized, slight aesthetic edits of his.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1