Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I just tried to create a new CGFX file. My model has textures that make use of the alpha channel and I know that EFE supports that because I opened a CGFX from a Banner and it had working alpha on the model. However when I import the OBJ file for the new CGFX file, the resulting model doesn't use alpha on the textures where it should. Any plans on fixing this or is there something in the OBJ MTL file I need to check for?

Example of what I'm talking about:

Example.jpg

Official CGFX from Omega Ruby Banner file on the left. The modified one I exported that was reimported on the right.

The original logos no longer have alpha. I did make sure to save the one I edited in the same format as the others, but even the original unedited one (the "Pokemon" part has it's own texture) is missing alpha as well. I think something is wrong with the OBJ importer in your program perhaps?

I suppose I can redesign my banner CGFX model to not use alpha, but this really limits what I can do. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Reactions: Margen67

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
You can open the banner.bin file with 3DSExplorer and use that to extract the CGFX file. You can also extract the CWAV file if it has one. But I got an error when I attempted to extract it.

Not that big of an issue. If I need the original I can just have the 3DS play the sound on the home menu with it connected to Line-In input on myPC. The background music of the current theme on the Home Menu gets muted when it plays the sound for the app that got selected. So I can get a clean sample of it that way. :D

I think you have to rename the bin file to a file with "bnr" extension (example, banner.bnr) as it's not setup to read it with the BIN file extension. After that you just extract the CGFX file which can be opened with EveryFileExplorer. From there I exported it as a DAE file and imported to 3DS Max. :D

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is something that I couldn't fix yet. The alpha doesn't work on a real 3ds, but it does in the viewer. I don't exactly know what setting is related to it. (there are all kinds of blending and alpha testing stuff in the files)

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I worked around the issue for my Omega Ruby banner. I subdivided the logo mesh until the polycount was high enough for me to remove the faces where there was only alpha on. So it effectively achieves the same result. Hopefully this will get fixed in the future as this won't really be a viable fix for more complicated models. :P

I got my 3DS XL back from the mail today and installed my modified Omega Ruby rom and tested the custom 3D Banner I made...IT WORKED GREAT!

An interesting tidbit of info for others looking to do this. It appears the default animation for 3D banners is the 3D mesh simply spinning around. (I would assume the center axis for this spin action would be the same for what ever the world zero position of the mesh is in the modeling program you are using)

So keep this in mind when designing your 3D banners. ;)

Reactions: PandaPandel
D

Deleted User

I just tried to create a new CGFX file. My model has textures that make use of the alpha channel and I know that EFE supports that because I opened a CGFX from a Banner and it had working alpha on the model. However when I import the OBJ file for the new CGFX file, the resulting model doesn't use alpha on the textures where it should. Any plans on fixing this or is there something in the OBJ MTL file I need to check for?

Example of what I'm talking about:

View attachment 15983

Official CGFX from Omega Ruby Banner file on the left. The modified one I exported that was reimported on the right.

The original logos no longer have alpha. I did make sure to save the one I edited in the same format as the others, but even the original unedited one (the "Pokemon" part has it's own texture) is missing alpha as well. I think something is wrong with the OBJ importer in your program perhaps?

I suppose I can redesign my banner CGFX model to not use alpha, but this really limits what I can do. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Did the output file have transparency in a 3D editor?

The material on the object needs to support transparency, as does the texture its reading the data from. a PNG should work fine with it. But its also possible EFE doesn't yet support transparency on import.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did the output file have transparency in a 3D editor?

The material on the object needs to support transparency, as does the texture its reading the data from. a PNG should work fine with it. But its also possible EFE doesn't yet support transparency on import.

As I said, it is probably just some incorrect material setting.

Isaynayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i tested 6 games with this and all six dont seem to be supported or half supported this thing should be renamed to Everything Half Explorer. planetarian tool seems to open and support more cgfx then this thing.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well i tested 6 games with this and all six dont seem to be supported or half supported this thing should be renamed to Everything Half Explorer. planetarian tool seems to open and support more cgfx then this thing.
I agree that "Every File Explorer" is a very strong name but it's still a great aplication. Plus it's geared towards compressed archives. It only handles media formats when they're crucial parts of a certain file format, like models, images and sounds in 3DS banners and themes.

It's a FILE EXPLORER, not a GENERAL EDITOR.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree that "Every File Explorer" is a very strong name but it's still a great aplication. Plus it's geared towards compressed archives. It only handles media formats when they're crucial parts of a certain file format, like models, images and sounds in 3DS banners and themes.

It's a FILE EXPLORER, not a GENERAL EDITOR.
In addition, I choose this name, because it is able to edit every file format, if you make a plugin for it.

D

Deleted User

1 .cgfx is not the same as another .cgfx file, EFE will open any cgfx file where the data is written a certain way, if another file has the data written a nonstandard way, then the program doesn't know what to do with it, most software operates this way because its the most efficient way of scanning files to make sure you get all data. Otherwise you might miss a model section or a few textures. Its not perfect, its still a ways to go but its prety damn good, I'm yet to run into a single cgfx file that it doesn't open though. What games did you try it on exactly?

Also, whats planitarium tool? If it opens more cgfx files then I'd be interested in taking a look at it to see if it can open an archive that I know contains a cgfx file.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Trying to make a bgm.bcstm

In Goldwave wave Save a .wav as PCM unsigned 8bit mono 8000 hz.
In Hex Workshop extend the 80 80s until file is 0x337000 big.
In EFE New from file > 3DS > CTR stream.
Open my .wav. Nothing happens. Can't save it.
When I try to close EFE:
UmyJ0yR.png

Why is this happening? How can I make this not happen?

edit:
I was following the instructions in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-custom-themes.377558/
According to this thread, maybe I should do something completely different:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-make-bgm-bcstm-files-for-3ds-themes.377927/

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Trying to make a bgm.bcstm

In Goldwave wave Save a .wav as PCM unsigned 8bit mono 8000 hz.
In Hex Workshop extend the 80 80s until file is 0x337000 big.
In EFE New from file > 3DS > CTR stream.
Open my .wav. Nothing happens. Can't save it.
When I try to close EFE:
UmyJ0yR.png

Why is this happening? How can I make this not happen?

edit:
I was following the instructions in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-custom-themes.377558/
According to this thread, maybe I should do something completely different:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-make-bgm-bcstm-files-for-3ds-themes.377927/

8 Bit is currently not supported. That error is completely unrelated. I need to close the waveout device somewhere it seems.

Isaynayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 .cgfx is not the same as another .cgfx file, EFE will open any cgfx file where the data is written a certain way, if another file has the data written a nonstandard way, then the program doesn't know what to do with it, most software operates this way because its the most efficient way of scanning files to make sure you get all data. Otherwise you might miss a model section or a few textures. Its not perfect, its still a ways to go but its prety damn good, I'm yet to run into a single cgfx file that it doesn't open though. What games did you try it on exactly?

Also, whats planitarium tool? If it opens more cgfx files then I'd be interested in taking a look at it to see if it can open an archive that I know contains a cgfx file.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-alpha-cgfxviewer-or-something.374335/page-2

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
omg this is great! i loooove modding games!!..hum, question: i guess (hope) sky3ds is capable to load modded roms? :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    AI needs money for AI drugs lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Ai Cocaine Is a hell of a drug."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ai doc my reality prescriptions running low I need 5,000mg
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Ok for real i'm back
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    generative AI is getting better at animating stuff, but still looks like a fever dream in most cases
    +1
  • T @ Texasauras:
    GOLD GRAIN 1/4 QUARTER BARS FOR LIKE $5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro lost all his money on gacha toys
    https://gachax2.com/
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, i thought you were spamming
    +1
  • T @ Texasauras:
    i was just telling everyone i was collecting bullion, desperate times calls for desperate measures
  • T @ Texasauras:
    i was just "window" shopping
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna leave in any moment
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro if i drop a stack on red and you drop a stack on black at the roulette table and we pushed, does that mean i gave you a stack?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, i don't get it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wut
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have it you fucking monster
  • T @ Texasauras:
    what i didn't do anything!
  • T @ Texasauras:
    since i doubled up, or you lost your stack and if i gave it to you instead of running off at the roulette table does that mean i "gave" you a stack lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop touching people's stacks
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Can I get AI to make Home Alone VS Micheal Jackson and R Kelly as the new wet bandits?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i have access to an AI that makes CGI movie scenes
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    it's in beta
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If Jack didn't think about pussy he could've made some friends with a good few millionaires tbh
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If Jack didn't think about pussy he could've made some friends with a good few millionaires tbh +1