• Replies 21,662
  • Likes 283

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
If that's the case then who cares if they're high-poly?
It'd only use more space of RAM, and if you're a noob and doesn't know what that actually means, less space = less features! [emoji36]

Just don't talk about something if you're not 100% sure.
Kinda like when SM64 was planned to have more features but were scrapped due to hardware limitations.
It surprises me that Nintendo says they don't give a **** about specs, but then they say "the (something) feature was scrapped due to hardware limitation...".
Good thinking Nintendo, good thinking. XD

JanetMerai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the Mario model and its textures and was not shocked to find one thing in particular.
(I'm an artist, not a programmer and yes I am a game developer)

The albedo diffuse map, which is what is suggested by the file naming structure, is relatively low resolution yet seems to be careful about its usage.
Normals are higher in resolution and cover up the low resolution by adding depth to the character, which is clever.
One thing I have found is the game uses LOD's (level of detail) models by lowering the polygonal count on models to free up resources and compresses the textures and strips out their normals to allow for other processing effects.

In my line of work, high polygonal models are nothing compared to high resolution textures and Nintendo was clever to hide that fact.
Trust me on this, I have seen people go nuts over a textured model over a non textured one.

In my final observation, and Nintendo's own words, Super Mario 3D World uses a lot of FX and post processing to get what they need.
The game is not next-gen in my opinion.
Its not bad and I enjoy the game myself and its a good way for me to study their techniques... but if you go back to Mario 64 you won't really find much of a difference other than technology meant for facial animation and additional normal maps and other FX.

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If that's the case then who cares if they're high-poly?
It'd only use more space of RAM, and if you're a noob and doesn't know what that actually means, less space = less features! [emoji36]

Just don't talk about something if you're not 100% sure.
Well he is not completely wrong, he just chose bad examples, get a look on how windwaker treats islands that you are not actually on right now and you probably have the best example of how you can make a literal handfull of triangles look like a Sphinx just from shading and coloring xD

AboodXD

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Well he is not completely wrong, he just chose bad examples, get a look on how windwaker treats islands that you are not actually on right now and you probably have the best example of how you can make a literal handfull of triangles look like a Sphinx just from shading and coloring xD
1) We're talking about Mario games.
2) LMAO I know he chose the wrong game, that's why I told him to not talk about something unless he's 100% sure about it.

fighting4fun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Probably because that your screen is bigger than 1280x720, so when entering fullscreen the game gets stritched

First I thought CEMU is using FullHD. Second CEMU opens the Window automatically in FullHD :D I can move it to fit on the screen but then I the white boarder at the top :P

AboodXD

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
First I thought CEMU is using FullHD. Second CEMU opens the Window automatically in FullHD :D I can move it to fit on the screen but then I the white boarder at the top :P
Cemu is only FullHD (1080p) if the game supports it, which 99% of Wii U games don't.

But still, if you go fullscreen the game gets stretched. I'm 100% sure because Cemu doesn't have the ability to upscale games...

AboodXD

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I looked at the Mario model and its textures and was not shocked to find one thing in particular.
(I'm an artist, not a programmer and yes I am a game developer)

The albedo diffuse map, which is what is suggested by the file naming structure, is relatively low resolution yet seems to be careful about its usage.
Normals are higher in resolution and cover up the low resolution by adding depth to the character, which is clever.
One thing I have found is the game uses LOD's (level of detail) models by lowering the polygonal count on models to free up resources and compresses the textures and strips out their normals to allow for other processing effects.

In my line of work, high polygonal models are nothing compared to high resolution textures and Nintendo was clever to hide that fact.
Trust me on this, I have seen people go nuts over a textured model over a non textured one.

In my final observation, and Nintendo's own words, Super Mario 3D World uses a lot of FX and post processing to get what they need.
The game is not next-gen in my opinion.
Its not bad and I enjoy the game myself and its a good way for me to study their techniques... but if you go back to Mario 64 you won't really find much of a difference other than technology meant for facial animation and additional normal maps and other FX.
Finally you get it... :)

It doesn't always depend on the model being high-poly. :D

Well, when it gets to underrated hardware/specs, Nintendo knows how to make good use of it.[emoji14]It's kinda sad Nintendo sacrified the graphics just to spend the money on something else, aka how the gamepad was born.

Last edited by AboodXD,

JanetMerai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, when it gets to underrated hardware/specs, Nintendo knows how to make good use of it.[emoji14]It's kinda sad Nintendo sacrified the graphics just to spend the money on something else, aka how the gamepad was born.

I already knew this, I just wish people would understand Nintendo doesn't make next-gen titles.

Nintendo fan-boys/girls tend to defend Nintendo because they grew up with them as did I.
Ocarina of Time / 時のオカリナ is what made me get into game development in the first place.

The problem is, Nintendo borrows and recycles technologies and only modifies what they have to suit a particular game which saves them time, but they have the money to go all out and make some incredible game better than what they've been doing... yet they prefer to downgrade and restrict it to their dying consoles.

In my opinion, Nintendo is good at making Mario 64 over and over again with slightly increased graphics over-time... there's virtually no difference if you look at it behind the technology.

fighting4fun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cemu is only FullHD (1080p) if the game supports it, which 99% of Wii U games don't.

But still, if you go fullscreen the game gets stretched. I'm 100% sure because Cemu doesn't have the ability to upscale games...

The screen without the edges and without fullscreen is also 1080p! there is nothing which have to be streched. If you have a look at the fullscreen youtube videos they doesnt have the problem. :S

Lightpost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

That JanetMerai person is actually knowledgeable of such stuff.
You shouldn't really bother with her. I'd definitely avoid her and her opinions even if it's 100% accurate.

The mock internal monologue below describes the vibe I'm getting from her.

"Oh, there goes those clueless stupid little boys who know nothing about the things I know, gobbling up what Nintendo offers them when they could've gotten something way better, something that truly deserves praise....
It's really great being me -- being able to easily dismiss stuff they put forward by sharing stuff I know, stuff that their puny little minds couldn't even comprehend.

Sigh! But of course, I should pretend to be imperfect and try to appear as a nice and humble person just so I could get away with the backlash I get from making them realize that they're just dumb guys who can't tell if they're actually being cheated by a dirty company. They're so dense, they probably wouldn't notice that I'm actually mocking them when I say I appreciate those very same things they like.

Tee hee! I shouldn't even be bothering with these nincompoops in the first place. It's just that it's amusing to see them blab away stupid stuff and then slap them in the face with reality."

She's like a Slytherin version of a two-faced Hermione Granger.
:-/

Anyway, coming from an artist/game developer like JanetMerai, a game can only be considered "next-gen" not only when it has high poly 3D models, but the textures used should also match the quality of those 3D models... It's not next-gen when you hide those unsightly low quality images with post-processing and effects.

Super Mario 3D World does have high poly 3D models but it doesn't get used as is. The game also tries to hide the fact that it uses low res textures.
Nope, it's not next-gen.

If the final output only looks "next-gen" but doesn't actually run things behind the scenes like an actual next-gen game would, then it's basically just a cheap imitation. Not the real thing.

"To lighten up their mood, I'd just say I actually like the 'technique' Nintendo used (when in fact, I can hardly call it technique -- it's actually cheating)"

Okay, yeah I get it.
She doesn't have to be bitchy one moment and then pretend to be appreciative the next.

Last edited by Lightpost,
Reactions: Alex S

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it