Homebrew [RELEASE] BootAnim9 - Custom boot animations for your 3DS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Yes, its not up yet, because I want to know if the timing is good and I also want to clean up the code a bit before pushing it, but by using the informations on 3dbrew it was not that hard to use it.
You might have better luck in your own thread, this one's kinda dead after the initial gimmick bang. Sorry but I've never used BootCTR9, so I can't really test it unless you provide more detailed instructions...

Oh and by the way I completely missed those regs, I was just looking at the watchdog here.
Will definitely use them as SOON™ as I get used to how they work

Last edited by Wolfvak,
Reactions: pbanj

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You might have better luck in your own thread, this one's kinda dead after the initial gimmick bang. Sorry but I've never used BootCTR9, so I can't really test it unless you provide more detailed instructions...

Oh and by the way I completely missed those regs, I was just looking at the watchdog here.
Will definitely use them as SOON™ as I get used to how they work
I wanted to wait with an own thread for BootCTR9 until version 1.0, but I have much to do atm, that's why its going on so slow.

You can with this configuration on your sd and arm9loaderhax.bin+arm9bootloader.bin it should load the default bootanim9 payload and show the 0 animation, but to make it read the config, you would need to name it anim.cfg .

Attachments

• boot_config.zip
    357 bytes · Views: 116

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Wow, this is great, especially that ARM9 <=> ARM11 interaction, quite a nice way to do it, especially for homebrew.

Only thing I still don't understand is where you got 65456 from, the 3dbrew page says: "These timers run at a frequency of ~67027.964kHz".

67027.964kHz = 67027964Hz therefore 67027964 cycles of the timer should give you a second right? Or is my understanding of the timers completely wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind I took a closer read at the prescaler and figured it out, btw it's 1024 not 1028 :P

Last edited by Wolfvak,
Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Durig

OMGWTFBBQ
Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
a little bit odd question. can i set different animation for different mode when i want start decrypt9 ( for example),
and btw good job ;)
already set some kickass animation, thx for hard work ;)

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
a little bit odd question. can i set different animation for different mode when i want start decrypt9 ( for example),
and btw good job ;)
already set some kickass animation, thx for hard work ;)
Yeah, it is a little odd :)

Sorry, but that's not really possible right now (and I doubt I'll ever implement it).
It picks an animation at random, not really caring about what 'arm9payload.bin' is (it might even not exist, BA9 doesn't care about that)

Durig

OMGWTFBBQ
Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
Yeah, it is a little odd :)

Sorry, but that's not really possible right now (and I doubt I'll ever implement it).
It picks an animation at random, not really caring about what 'arm9payload.bin' is (it might even not exist, BA9 doesn't care about that)

oh well i think thats my bad english kicks-in.
what i trying to ask:
specified anim for specified mode ( i press Y+power (for example) and launch uncart with it own anim, or just press power and laucnh anim for default mode)

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, this is great, especially that ARM9 <=> ARM11 interaction, quite a nice way to do it, especially for homebrew.

Only thing I still don't understand is where you got 65456 from, the 3dbrew page says: "These timers run at a frequency of ~67027.964kHz".

67027.964kHz = 67027964Hz therefore 67027964 cycles of the timer should give you a second right? Or is my understanding of the timers completely wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind I took a closer read at the prescaler and figured it out, btw it's 1024 not 1028 :P
Thanks, because I want to do the arm9 <-> arm11 stuff its taking so long to release the version 1.0. I'm trying to implement an arm11 API for arm9 homebrew, but the layout is still not final, maybe I will add support to run functions and return to the thread, this way I would move the draw mode over to the bootloader.

Reactions: pbanj and Wolfvak

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
oh well i think thats my bad english kicks-in.
what i trying to ask:
specified anim for specified mode ( i press Y+power (for example) and launch uncart with it own anim, or just press power and laucnh anim for default mode)

Well, with a little bit of extra abstraction it is possible to separate animation folders (say, regular animations go into 'anim', when holding Y you get 'animY', when holding X you get 'animX', etc...) but I think it's not that useful to be honest.
I might implement it sometime in the future, but definitely not now.

By the way, this is bad english, yours is pretty damn good.

Reactions: Durig and pbanj

marth_is_awesome

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! This seems really neat, and I'm excited to use it, but when I tried to, I ran into an issue. I installed everything like normal, using the .zip with some animations already pre-loaded so I could see what they looked like--but upon closer inspection, they were running a lot slower than the gifs themselves. When I tried to use the Smash Bros logo by GoldenBullet, it flickered alot and looked very grainy. The same happened with the The Last of Us loading screen. I'm not really sure where I went wrong- any help would be appreciated.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hi! This seems really neat, and I'm excited to use it, but when I tried to, I ran into an issue. I installed everything like normal, using the .zip with some animations already pre-loaded so I could see what they looked like--but upon closer inspection, they were running a lot slower than the gifs themselves. When I tried to use the Smash Bros logo by GoldenBullet, it flickered alot and looked very grainy. The same happened with the The Last of Us loading screen. I'm not really sure where I went wrong- any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, some animations can be slower depending on your SD card's speed and cluster size.
Try switching to 64k clusters and defragmenting the animation files, should make it better.

Reactions: marth_is_awesome

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Wolfvak How hard would it be to port the mpeg library from youtubeDS to arm9 to be able to use mp4 for bootanimation? If its not that hard, it could maybe allow higher framerates, because we won't need to read that much raw data.

D

Deleted User

No idea if this was pointed out, but This causes a softbrick on TWL for me, n3ds a9lh with luma, with this installed the 3ds would crash (like a brick, but recoverable if you reboot, screen turns off, power light stays on) when i load any dsiware or NDS cart, and with it removed all works normally. any known fix?

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No idea if this was pointed out, but This causes a softbrick on TWL for me, n3ds a9lh with luma, with this installed the 3ds would crash (like a brick, but recoverable if you reboot, screen turns off, power light stays on) when i load any dsiware or NDS cart, and with it removed all works normally. any known fix?
There is a reason it doesnt work.

You have to use the PATHCHANGER on the arm9payload.bin and rewrite the PATH to arm9payload.bin.

Otherwise AGB and TWL will not work, because it keeps looking for arm9loaderhax.bin and wont prepatch the FIRMs

Reactions: Wolfvak

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Read the wiki for luma -_-

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I doubt it would help tbh. I've noticed people don't read the op.
Exactly, they don't read either my OP or Luma's wiki, which pisses me off to no end because I actually think people have good suggestions like this right here when I see any alerts:
@Wolfvak How hard would it be to port the mpeg library from youtubeDS to arm9 to be able to use mp4 for bootanimation? If its not that hard, it could maybe allow higher framerates, because we won't need to read that much raw data.
Sorry, but I think it uses the NDS mode GPU, I'll check it out nevertheless, but I doubt I'll ever use something like mp4, I was thinking more of a custom compression algorithm that's easy to decompress, to keep BA9's codebase as low as possible (no, this isn't a "ZOMG BLOAT!" thing, it's more of an "I suck at maintaining large codebases and often completely miss errors" thing)

I'll add a warning to the OP as well as a link to Luma's wiki,

K0nr4d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have tried to make my own boot animation and everything worked quite nicely. The only problem that I have is that the animation is way to slow. I use the 30fps config file but it only play at around 15fps. I don't know if there was something wrong with the mp4 file that I used or something but I just can't figure out whats wrong. I hope someone can help me with this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    cearp @ cearp: still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm