Homebrew [RELEASE] BootAnim9 - Custom boot animations for your 3DS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Is your payload set correctly? As in the arm9payload.bin

Inside my anim folder I have the arm9payload.bin along with a 0 folder, inside the zero folder is my animation.

Edit: I took the bootanim9 arm9loaderhax.bin and renamed it to arm9payload.bin if that makes a difference.

Last edited by jimmyleen,

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Since I can't stop bootanim9 from looping the animation image I will stop using it. I don't know why I can't exit out of bootanim9 but I am done.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Inside my anim folder I have the arm9payload.bin along with a 0 folder, inside the zero folder is my animation.

Edit: I took the bootanim9 arm9loaderhax.bin and renamed it to arm9payload.bin if that makes a difference.
Dear lord. Of course it's going to, after your animation is played, it loads itself (a copy stored as arm9payload.bin) and starts playing the animation again.
Nevertheless, gg, I lol'd

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since I can't stop bootanim9 from looping the animation image I will stop using it. I don't know why I can't exit out of bootanim9 but I am done.
You can do whatever you want, but waiting 20-30 minutes for an answer is a really short time btw. Nothing against you, but don't expect all devs to answer this quickly.
You know, we actually have lives, despite what most clichés dictate, and some applications don't have a huge following, like Luma, where you'll get an answer within seconds

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, I've just set BootAnim9. my animation is too slow, how can I set the FPS? I know I should use a config file, but I don't know how to generate it. I'm using a pre-built animation (it's only anim, not anim + bottom_anim, I assume its speed can be improved).

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I've just set BootAnim9. my animation is too slow, how can I set the FPS? I know I should use a config file, but I don't know how to generate it. I'm using a pre-built animation.
If it's from the animation threads or the ones included then the framerates are set appropriately to the animation. But the FPS is set in the config file in hex. I.e. 30 fps is 0x1E. I'd suggest creating your own, look for something at 30fps and it should look fine after putting it through the scripts.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hello, I've just set BootAnim9. my animation is too slow, how can I set the FPS? I know I should use a config file, but I don't know how to generate it. I'm using a pre-built animation (it's only anim, not anim + bottom_anim, I assume its speed can be improved).
Well, you create an empty file called 'config' and set the framerate in hex. For example, 15 fps = 0x0F fps, 30 fps = 0x1E fps, 10 fps = 0x0A fps, etc.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Can I just create a .txt file, write 0x1E inside and change its extension?
Nope, doesn't work that way. I made it like it is to keep the source clean and maintanable, without having to include too many string functions.
I may change it in the future, but I don't know :/

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would be way better for the end user, in my opinion. Not everyone uses an hex-editor (going to download one).

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
No, it's set at an offset in the file, putting 0x1E in a text file marks it as a string in unicode
However, it'd load the character '0' which is hex 0x30 (I think) and it'd default to 30fps anyways, so you might as well @Earth97

To be perfectly honest, I've been thinking of shortening some file names in order to remove LFN support in FatFS and make it smaller. Would it be too much of a change?

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, the speed improved, however it's not as I want it. I've seen people arguing their animations were "too fast". Why? Can I go beyond 0x1E?
I'm using the PSX animation, downloaded from here.

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, the speed improved, however it's not as I want it. I've seen people arguing their animations were "too fast". Why? Can I go beyond 0x1E?
I'm using the PSX animation, downloaded from here.
It's just a limitation as of current, but that animation might just be at 15fps or something, like I said earlier your best bet is to find a video of the animation at 30fps then run it through the script at 30fps. The speed thing is just something with how the loading has improved

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States

25b5bc8eef5a1f400c14dabfe40b5ba2.jpg

Little tip, bootanim9's arm9loaderhax.bin goes on the root of your sd card. The arm9loadhax.bin for your cfw goes in the anim and gets renamed to arm9payload.bin. what you did means bootanim9 is just sitting there loading itself. This is not a fault of bootanim9 but a fault of the user using it and not reading properly.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, I added Boot animation support for the topscreen to BootCTR9 with my last dev release, and to be able to ignore licensens changes I now rewrote it by myself.
My implementation in BootCTR9 uses the hardware timer to get the timing rigth and uses the arm11 to write it to the framebuffer, could some test if the timing is good? To use bootanimations set the splash to 4 and set the animation including its name as splash_image, and for frame configuration put a file with the same name as the animation + .cfw in the same folder. (example: animation.rgb -> animation.rgb.cfg).

If the timing is good I will clean my code up and push it to my repository, this way the timer could maybe be used in BootAnim9 too.

Attachments

• bootctr9-dev-animation.zip
    64.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,
Reactions: pbanj and Wolfvak

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hey, I added Boot animation support for the topscreen to BootCTR9 with my last dev release, and to be able to ignore licensens changes I now rewrote it by myself.
My implementation in BootCTR9 uses the hardware timer to get the timing rigth and uses the arm11 to write it to the framebuffer, could some test if the timing is good? To use bootanimations set the splash to 4 and set the animation including its name as splash_image, and for frame configuration put a file with the same name as the animation + .cfw in the same folder. (example: animation.rgb -> animation.rgb.cfg).

If the timing is good I will clean my code up and push it to my repository, this way the timer could maybe be used in BootAnim9 too.
https://github.com/Wolfvak/BootAnim9/commit/d204ee588a58c344ffb7b4229639c40a8bf5de92

Don't worry about the licensing, we are here to make "some kickass homebrew!", not discuss over who wrote a line of code, right?
I'd like to see exactly how you implemented the hardware timer, because I'm sure the 3DS does have the watchdog timer, but I can't find it anywhere within your latest commit.

Reactions: pbanj

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://github.com/Wolfvak/BootAnim9/commit/d204ee588a58c344ffb7b4229639c40a8bf5de92

Don't worry about the licensing, we are here to make "some kickass homebrew!", not discuss over who wrote a line of code, right?
I'd like to see exactly how you implemented the hardware timer, because I'm sure the 3DS does have the watchdog timer, but I can't find it anywhere within your latest commit.
Yes, its not up yet, because I want to know if the timing is good and I also want to clean up the code a bit before pushing it, but by using the informations on 3dbrew it was not that hard to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1