Homebrew [RELEASE] Aroma Environment for Wii U

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi all. I'm currently about to set up my Wii U with all the new glory that's available within the next few weeks (hopefully, if I find the time).
I'm really thankful for all the information in this thread.
As the clock ticks down and the Nintendo servers near ending their support of Wii U (and 3DS), I will finally have to consider setting up dual-boot of Tiramisu and Aroma (still love Tiramisu for the Homebrew Launcher and the ability to launch my MK8 plugin modpack: MK8 Ultimate, both of which Aroma can't utilize (at least at this time)). But Pretendo doesn't play nice with Tiramisu at all anymore, certain homebrew apps like PPSSPP and Retroarch will not launch if you have the Pretendo module in the Tiramisu's module folder, so I'll have to start utilizing Pretendo in Aroma when the time comes, I know that's not an issue as their are separate folders for the Tiramisu modules and the Aroma modules.
Let me get that straight, because from what I read I was aiming for a Tiramisu/Aroma dualboot solution too, at least until Tiramisu becomes completely useless (aka MK8 Ultimate and RetroArch work in Aroma):
If you have Pretendo in Tiramisu's module folder, it renders some other apps unusable? So if I keep Tiramisu only for RetroArch and MK8 UItimate and on the other hand, use Pretendo only in Aroma, I'm fine in that regards?
Sure, if I wasn't up against the 300 title limit lol.
I was really curious after all these years if this is still an unsolved issue. So apparently it is? I wish someone (Maschell? GaryOderNichts?) could address this somehow in Aroma or a plugin. Then again it might be a super hard task to do since it's the hardcoded Wii U home menu behavior.
It would be really nice though to circumvent this stupid limit.
And before anyone asks for reasons/benefits, here they are once and for all:
Currently with all that the homebrew community of the Wii U achieved, we can put on the home menu:
  • Wii U games (obviously)
  • Wii games (via VC)
  • WiiWare games (via VC)
  • GC games (via VC)
  • Wii U VC games (like SNES, N64, NES, Nintendo DS, PC Engine...)
  • Wii VC games (like SNES, NES and so on) (via channel forwards and probably also via Wii U VC, not sure about that)
  • Wii U homebrew apps (thx to Aroma)
  • Wii homebrew apps (forwarder channels)
  • RetroArch roms (via forwarders)
So in a nutshell everything that the Wii U is able to run one way or another can be installed/placed on the freakin' home menu. This includes everything that the vWii can play. Theoretically you won't need any USB Loaders on the vWii side and instead just launch everything from the Wii U side. You miss out on all the USB Loader settings and obviously nobody would do this but we're talking about ten thousands of games! Especially if you also add rom hacks. Not only your typical Super Mario World rom hack but those for Mario Kart Wii or New Super Mario Bros. Wii alone. And since the Wii U home menu has folders so everything could be organised nicely, it's really a shame, this 300 items limit (still) exists.

That being said, I can see that it's totally no priority for those who are currently technically skilled enough to achieve that. Plus for many points from my list above, we would still be limited by the 2 TB hard drive limit, so that would have to be circumvented as well which might be an impossible task on its own. I'm just dreaming here. :P
Here are your options from the Homebrew on menu readme from Aroma GitHub. Think is is what you're looking for...
This is awesome. Thanks for that!
The guide over at https://wiiu.hacks.guide provide steps to remove old hacks and how to install aroma.
Glad to still see you around here, buddy. I'll never forget how you helped me set up my Wii U and vWii with the multi drive setup many years ago! :)

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to still see you around here, buddy. I'll never forget how you helped me set up my Wii U and vWii with the multi drive setup many years ago! :)
Yeah, no problem. While I kinda fell out of the Wii U for now, so I may not be all that up to date on the things it can do, let me know if you have any troubles and we can help solve them together (and maybe even get my Wii U updated in the process, lol).
Post automatically merged:

Just transferred a backup to SD card.
Try launching from a Fat32 formatted external USB drive that is externally powered. While it can work from SD card or other types of USB drives, an externally powered one has a much better chance of working. This way we can rule that out and try and pinpoint your issue if it still doesn't work.

wiiuhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is anyone able to help me with this

Attachments

• p8kyjs7d8slc1.png
    p8kyjs7d8slc1.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 14

Greenethic

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, i couldn't find the awsner on google !

I've asked on the nintendon't thread and I was re directed here.

I play gamecube games injected in my WiiU. I would like to know if there is a way to start the games without having to turn a wiimote on.
I would like to use the pro controller to start the system and launch the games !

But I must turn on the wiimote and point the screen to set "TV only or TV + gamepad"
I found that is was impossible to skip that.

But !

When the game shows up on the "quick start screen" when I boot the WiiU with the gamepad, the game launches without having to use a Wiimote !
So I guess it must me somehow possible ?

Is there a way to force a game to show up in "quick start screen" ?
Or is there a way to skip the "TV only or TV + gamepad" screen and force "TV only" when I don't use the game pad as a controller ?

Thanks !
Have a nice week :)

AryaClient

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It dont work

It dont work

is anyone able to help me with this
No, I ran into that bug and i could not fix it

I have aroma on my Wii U, is it possible to play DS games on it?
Yes I do believe with some very stressful but easy working on homebrew you can play DS games on a WIi U

I have aroma on my Wii U, is it possible to play DS games on it?
Yes I do believe with some very stressful but easy working on homebrew you can play DS games on a WIi U

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you boot up the aroma environment using the Haxchi and the homebrew loader? I have been able to boot Tiramisu using haxchi. I'm curious if it is actually usable. Will it work if you launch the environment loader directly from the old homebrew launcher?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you boot up the aroma environment using the Haxchi and the homebrew loader?
Thoretically: Yes. Practically: No. You'll create a bunch of undefined behaviour which could brick your console in the worst case!

I have been able to boot Tiramisu using haxchi.
Same... It works but is completely unreliable and YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS for the safety of your console!

To boot Tiramisu and Aroma you use the environment loader shipped with both, Tiramisu and Aroma, by launching the health and safety app from a STOCK firmware. I repeat: Never load another CFW while some CFW is running already. Always launch your CFWs from stock firmware!

booting tiramisu with the homebrew launcher works good.
No it does not! Only cause you don't see any issues yet doesn't mean there are none... Each random crash no matter how seldom could be caused by this, for example.

What ill try is to boot the initial executable that would be booted after its installed.
Which would be launching health and safety... Again as I can't say it often enough: You want to do this from stock firmware only, not from another CFW like Haxchi! @Maschell would it be possible for the environment launcher to detect Haxchi or Mocha and refuse to run in that case? Just like it does when you try to launch it from Aroma/Tiramis (the "don't launch the environment loader twice" message).

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoretically: Yes. Practically: No. You'll create a bunch of undefined behaviour which could brick your console in the worst case!

Same... It works but is completely unreliable and YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS for the safety of your console!

To boot Tiramisu and Aroma you use the environment loader shipped with both, Tiramisu and Aroma, by launching the health and safety app from a STOCK firmware. I repeat: Never load another CFW while some CFW is running already. Always launch your CFWs from stock firmware!

No it does not! Only cause you don't see any issues yet doesn't mean there are none... Each random crash no matter how seldom could be caused by this, for example.

Which would be launching health and safety... Again as I can't say it often enough: You want to do this from stock firmware only, not from another CFW like Haxchi! @Maschell would it be possible for the environment launcher to detect Haxchi or Mocha and refuse to run in that case? Just like it does when you try to launch it from Aroma/Tiramis (the "don't launch the environment loader twice" message).
thanks for your input. i wont be trying that then.

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next