Hacking [RELEASE] 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I just noticed one issue with this and emunand tool

they don't too well with 64GB cards, *well I think at least with decrypt9 formatted cards

this software just formatted my external harddrive and installed an emunand partition
I know at some part there is a user error and mistake involved,
but unlike emunand tool, this thing does not CHECK if there is an emunand partition on the drive, prior to initiated the process.
emunand tool does this process.

I know this is an awesome tool that probably caused no issues for other users and helped them setup their cfw's but
I hope a safety precaution/final confirmation to check if the card size is larger than 64GB or 128GB (max size that the 3DS can support)
before doing anything.

Last edited by leerz,

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Not the same Ninoh-FOX , it's just the fix I tried on 2 different Windows laptop/PC with 3 different card.

I am testing the Format SD option with NAND.bin back up from both Gateway and EMUNAND9Tool.

Error encounter if only format withSDformatter before using v1.3 is "
"FAT partitian dectected below the required offset (at 0x000400000).... " when click Yes -> "Wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume into drive..." ->

a. Cancel and get error "FAT32FORMAT: couldn't write 65536 bytes chunk to sector #0 (1235)" -> couldn't format the new FAT partion! (-6)
b. Continue and get error "FAT32FORMAT: couldn't write 65536 bytes chunk to sector #0 (34)" -> couldn't format the new FAT partion! (-6)

After this IF click "Start format" v1.3 will crashes. IF closes v1.3 and reopen and Start Format -> NAND seesm to be injected but Windows will ask to format the SD card before use!

A note I forgot in my last post: For any SD card that default file system is FAT32, format it to exfat or Multi EMUNAND creator 1.3 won't work.

I don't have programming skill so I can't comment on programming side, but the 1.3 version & Windows has bad relationship.

My sdcard of 16gb class 10 is formatte with sdformater, is clean, the sdcard works fine (I make emunand 10.5 with gateway menu), I wait for v1.4 ;)

The program works good, but when i go to format the SD the program it close and isn't any way to inject any emuNAND, my OS is Windows 10

All of you guys, check your PMs. :)

How exactly do you make a second emunand? Do you just inject a nand backup into nand 2 in this tool, or do you have to format emunand twice?

You'll be asked if you want to format the second EmuNAND when you select the 2nd slot. The procedure is the same: just backup your data beforehand.

I just noticed one issue with this and emunand tool

they don't too well with 64GB cards, *well I think at least with decrypt9 formatted cards

this software just formatted my external harddrive and installed an emunand partition
I know at some part there is a user error and mistake involved,
but unlike emunand tool, this thing does not CHECK if there is an emunand partition on the drive, prior to initiated the process.
emunand tool does this process.

I know this is an awesome tool that probably caused no issues for other users and helped them setup their cfw's but
I hope a safety precaution/final confirmation to check if the card size is larger than 64GB or 128GB (max size that the 3DS can support)
before doing anything.

First of all, the program *does* check if the current filesystem on the storage device is positioned beyond the minimum offset required to store the selected type of EmuNAND (O3DS / N3DS). It's something necessary to get the program to work, and basically, one of its most critical procedures. So critical, that this check has been in place ever since the first release, back when the program was CLI-based.

The only way to mess up things the way you did is to manually select a hard drive in the "Format EmuNAND" section of the program, because there's no way a hard drive without an EmuNAND will appear in the "EmuNAND SD Card" list. This is because I still haven't found a way to use the Windows API to determine if a drive *really* is a SD card, so the program will just display all the valid candidates in the format drop-down list.

EmuNAND Tool doesn't have this problem because it only supports one SD card (with EmuNAND) at a time, and it really doesn't allow the user to format the EmuNAND using the PC. This program also used to work that way, until I added the drop-down lists (which are handy, because they grant the user more control over both the process and the available drives).

I have already explained this quite a few times, but I suppose another one won't hurt. There are two drop-down lists in the program: one dedicated for the drives that *do* have an available EmuNAND, and the other one dedicated for the drives that don't (for the format procedure). Both lists are automatically populated by the same function upon startup, which is also invoked when you click the "Refresh drives" button.

I don't really want to add a SD card check based on storage sizes like you suggest, because there's people like me that still use old 80GB IDE drives; that's why I want a solution that involves a proper SD card check through WinAPI.

Likewise, blocking the format option it's out of the question. And checking if an EmuNAND is available before performing the format procedure would defeat the purpose: you're creating the EmuNAND to begin with. Why would the program check the availability of something that for sure is not present in the first place?

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
First of all, the program *does* check if the current filesystem on the storage device is positioned beyond the minimum offset required to store the selected type of EmuNAND (O3DS / N3DS). It's something necessary to get the program to work, and basically, one of its most critical procedures. So critical, that this check has been in place ever since the first release, back when the program was CLI-based.

The only way to mess up things the way you did is to manually select a hard drive in the "Format EmuNAND" section of the program, because there's no way a hard drive without an EmuNAND will appear in the "EmuNAND SD Card" list. This is because I still haven't found a way to use the Windows API to determine if a drive *really* is a SD card, so the program will just display all the valid candidates in the format drop-down list.

EmuNAND Tool doesn't have this problem because it only supports one SD card (with EmuNAND) at a time, and it really doesn't allow the user to format the EmuNAND using the PC. This program also used to work that way, until I added the drop-down lists (which are handy, because they grant the user more control over both the process and the available drives).

I have already explained this quite a few times, but I suppose another one won't hurt. There are two drop-down lists in the program: one dedicated for the drives that *do* have an available EmuNAND, and the other one dedicated for the drives that don't (for the format procedure). Both lists are automatically populated by the same function upon startup, which is also invoked when you click the "Refresh drives" button.

I don't really want to add a SD card check based on storage sizes like you suggest, because there's people like me that still use old 80GB IDE drives; that's why I want a solution that involves a proper SD card check through WinAPI.

Likewise, blocking the format option it's out of the question. And checking if an EmuNAND is available before performing the format procedure would defeat the purpose: you're creating the EmuNAND to begin with. Why would the program check the availability of something that for sure is not present in the first place?

Hey, don't get me wrong or anything, I'm not badmouthing the program, Like I said, I'm sure it has done wonders for users that enjoys its features. :)

btw, a little info on my scenario, actually, I did *Manually select my drive, the format failed, for whatever reason (emunandtool didn't work also that time, so I used this)
after it failed, I re-run the format again, and it formatted my external. *I suppose this happens when it repopulates the controls and forgets the last selected drive and defaults to lowest Driveletter, I'm not sure.
I agree that the feature set are very handy, no doubt about that.

btw the format option is fine, just a little red warning sign maybe prior to formatting a large drive, sure, of course, I believe that there are people who still use 80GB drives, but how bad can it be? I've not heard of 500GB micro SD card, nor 80GB microsd Cards, the common ones are 8/16/32/64/128, just to get those out of the way.
btw3, GetDriveType doesn't help much, it only says fixed or removable, but I'm sure there's a way to tell :)

little more depth on the format issue, do you know why emunandtool or this fail on large drives? I'm using kingmax 64GB, emunand9 formats can format it just fine. but it won't allow to replace it back with a different backup via this and emunandtool. to get by this, I format the 64GB with emunand9, run the gateway launcher and reformat it again, I've no issues reading and writing emunand to the SD with GW formatted cards. maybe you can share some light on the topic? :)

Thanks

Lrz

Reactions: DarkMatterCore

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hey, don't get me wrong or anything, I'm not badmouthing the program, Like I said, I'm sure it has done wonders for users that enjoys its features. :)

btw, a little info on my scenario, actually, I did *Manually select my drive, the format failed, for whatever reason (emunandtool didn't work also that time, so I used this)
after it failed, I re-run the format again, and it formatted my external. *I suppose this happens when it repopulates the controls and forgets the last selected drive and defaults to lowest Driveletter, I'm not sure.
I agree that the feature set are very handy, no doubt about that.

btw the format option is fine, just a little red warning sign maybe prior to formatting a large drive, sure, of course, I believe that there are people who still use 80GB drives, but how bad can it be? I've not heard of 500GB micro SD card, nor 80GB microsd Cards, the common ones are 8/16/32/64/128, just to get those out of the way.
btw3, GetDriveType doesn't help much, it only says fixed or removable, but I'm sure there's a way to tell :)

little more depth on the format issue, do you know why emunandtool or this fail on large drives? I'm using kingmax 64GB, emunand9 formats can format it just fine. but it won't allow to replace it back with a different backup via this and emunandtool. to get by this, I format the 64GB with emunand9, run the gateway launcher and reformat it again, I've no issues reading and writing emunand to the SD with GW formatted cards. maybe you can share some light on the topic? :)

Thanks

Lrz

I have looked at the issue for the last couple of months, and so far, the only thing I have found is a trick to determine if the drive is a SD card based on compatible energy states. However, this trick doesn't work under every setting, so I decided not to use it. Makes me wonder how does the official SD Formatter do this kind of stuff...

The drop-down lists are automatically sorted by alphabetical order, and the selected item is always set to the first one by default. Maybe the first format procedure was incomplete, but succeeded in writing the "GATEWAYNAND" tag to the MBR, thus removing the SD card from the list. It's unlikely, but it's also the only thing I can think about.

I guess I'll have to check the format code used by EmuNAND9, to see if there's something breaking the compatibility with PC programs. In the meantime, I'll just upload some test builds that you guys can test (I only have a 32GB GW SD card, it hasn't failed me so far).

Reactions: tivu100

andriy921

Trophies
XP
Country
Strange thing. Executable when run from folder with only executable failed to format sd card. But when I tried to to this when extracted both executable and sources it worked.

Marco Dinucci

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The same for me with a 16gb SD, "The program works good, but when i go to format the SD the program it close and isn't any way to inject any emuNAND, my OS is Windows 10"

P

PaiiNSteven

Is it possible for someone to create a 3dsx to load which nand you want to go to? Just a question

Gawain

Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same problem that some of the people on this threat, can't format my SD, the programm closes and i can't do anything.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you very much for this application, I really love it.
But can you tell me why sometimes can't it format the SD card? I'm trying on a 4gb and the program gives me these errors:
FAT32FORMAT: Couldn't open logical drive "\\.\F:" (32)
FAT32FORMAT: failed to dismount logical drive "\\.\F:"
FAT32FORMAT: failed to unlock logical drive "\\.\F:"
Couldn't format the new FAT partition! (-10)

When it gives me these errors i can't make it works in no way....

Last edited by Real.96,

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have been using this tool more or less flawlessly with my 32GB card. Now I got myself a 64GB card (both cards are SanDisk Ultra) and used HP USB Disk tool to format it from exFAT to FAT32.
When I run your multiemunand tool I either get errors like the user above me:
Or I get errors stating "Couldn't write block #30079(varies) to offset 0x0757F0000(think this varies as well)."

I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have restarted my computer multiple times. Some times the program tells me the procedure was complete (Format EmuNAND). But then, only a few seconds later it greys out the buttons for Injecting, Extracting and Renaming Emunand. In other words, it doesn't really look like it completed anything.

Last edited by Pokepicker,

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Da
I have been using this tool more or less flawlessly with my 32GB card. Now I got myself a 64GB card (both cards are SanDisk Ultra) and used HP USB Disk tool to format it from exFAT to FAT32.
Or I get errors stating it was "unable to write XXX to block number YYYY."

I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have restarted my computer multiple times. Some times the program tells me the procedure was complete (Format EmuNAND). But then, only a few seconds later it greys out the buttons for Injecting, Extracting and Renaming Emunand. In other words, it doesn't really look like it completed anything.
Same problem...

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Some more testing has been done.
After fiddling with Win32DiskImager, I finally got all the info from my old 32GB card over to my new 64GB one. All my files seem intact, and emuNAND boots up just fine.
I also used EASEus to extend the FAT32 partition so that I could use the extra space on the card. If I try to use multiemuNAND tool to inject a backup of one of my emuNANDS (onto an existing, working one), it still gives me the error regarding not being able to write block#xxx to offset XXX.

So as of now. My new SD card is working, but it will be a problem in the future as I can't seem to inject any of the backups, or set up more/new emuNANDs.

Altairseven

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is there a way to use this to boot 2 2 emunands for rxtools? For using on a japonese console with one of the emunands being region changed.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd say a really good check would, at least, be filesystem type, most external HDDs still use something like NTFS, so you could at the very least red flag anything with something like NTFS fairly easily (well as long as there's an API for that, which it'd be dumb is there wasn't, so I assume there is) it might even already do that... just a thought :)

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Or I get errors stating "Couldn't write block #30079(varies) to offset 0x0757F0000(think this varies as well)."

you can fix this and get around this by formatting your 64gb or 128gb card with emunand9

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
leerz: I will look into this later. Thanks for the tip!

naddel81: It depends. I for one, wish to have one JPemunand, one USemunand, and then a final EUemunand. Then I can play all of the games, and also get myself some Pokemon stash which usually would be unobtainable to me.

leerz: Would you elaborate as to what option I should choose in Emunand9? I tried one of the options under SD Format Options as well as "Set up new emuNAND" from scratch.
No matter what, I get errors similar to the previous mentioned ones. (I cleaned the SD completely with diskpart and easeUS between each attempt).

Reactions: astronautlevel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg