Hacking [RELEASE] 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator

KingBot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is Multi Emunand Creator able to extract and inject emunands of a 1.82GB chip ?
I am asking because I tried several times but it tells me that the file size is invalid. I just wanted to have two different emunand on a single mSD.

xKaii

Trophies
XP
Country
Getting an issue i've never had before...

D is my HD, but i want to format and create a partition with my NAND in F. If i click start format my HD is gonna be formatted, right?

jSnnHoA.png

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Getting an issue i've never had before...

D is my HD, but i want to format and create a partition with my NAND in F. If i click start format my HD is gonna be formatted, right?

jSnnHoA.png
Exactly what happens to me. Why the hell it's listing a hard drive there?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry for getting late to the party, guys... Some serious things happened in my life and well, I wasn't able to come back to the Temp up until now.

I'm fully aware of all the problems you've been mentioning in the last few pages of this thread. And because of that, I bring you a new release. Here's the changelog:

v1.4:
* Autodetection of Old 3DS/New 3DS EmuNANDs for both input/output procedures, which removes the need of manually selecting a 3DS model.
* Added support for additional EmuNAND9 offsets. Every EmuNAND/RedNAND is now created using the 'default' setup size (except if you're creating additional EmuNANDs, in which case the same layout from EmuNAND #1 will be applied).
* The program now shows the capacity of each drive displayed in the drop-down lists. Furthermore, only drives with a capacity greater than 1 GiB will be displayed in the drop-down lists.
* The program now checks if a valid EmuNAND is available at the selected slot before writing the name to the SD card.
* Fixed a bug that made the "Refresh" button also write the EmuNAND name instead of just reading it.
* The FAT32 partition label is now properly written during the format procedure.
* Removed the boot.bin modification feature.
* Fixed some more threading bugs.

Check the first post to get the download. Please test it whenever you can and, if possible, give me feedback. There may be some bugs I'm not aware of since I pretty much made this release in my free time (which, quite frankly, is almost non-existent).

Exactly what happens to me. Why the hell it's listing a hard drive there?

Because I haven't been able to find a way to properly distinguish a hard drive from a SD card using WinAPI instructions. There are some threads across the Internet in which people discuss that this may be possible by reading the energy states from the storage device, but even so, it's not possible to filter USB HDDs from the list (hint: not even the SDFormatter can get it right). I just gave up on that.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know, I was referring to my particular case: a removable card reader that gets detected as fixed media. I chose to leave it like that because I may not be the only one which such a problem.
That seems to be the exception so you could add a checkbox to toggle the inclusion of fixed drives in the listing.

Also it should list cards that already contain an emunand as well. Why are they excluded?

Reactions: DarkMatterCore

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
That seems to be the exception so you could add a checkbox to toggle the inclusion of fixed drives in the listing.

Also it should list cards that already contain an emunand as well. Why are they excluded?

I'll get around that as soon as I get more free time. Maybe on monday.

They're excluded because that option only serves to add an EmuNAND to a drive that doesn't have one. If you want to add additional EmuNANDs, the Inject options will take care of that. I'll add a "Remove EmuNAND" button in the next release.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll get around that as soon as I get more free time. Maybe on monday.

They're excluded because that option only serves to add an EmuNAND to a drive that doesn't have one. If you want to add additional EmuNANDs, the Inject options will take care of that. I'll add a "Remove EmuNAND" button in the next release.
Well it already says "Format EmuNAND" there so it's implied that it will FORMAT the drive and create an emunand.
A new button looks irrelevant to me. A message box warning about the loss of data and asking for confirmation would probably suffice.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Well it already says "Format EmuNAND" there so it's implied that it will FORMAT the drive and create an emunand.
A new button looks irrelevant to me. A message box warning about the loss of data and asking for confirmation would probably suffice.

Not at all. Removing an existent EmuNAND also requires reformatting the drive. The "Format EmuNAND" option will leave you with *one* EmuNAND, and considering the popular A9LH setup people are using, it isn't really irrelevant.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Here's the new release, guys. As always, you can find the download in the first post.

v1.5:
* Added a checkbox to determine if fixed drives have to be added to the drop-down lists while the program is parsing the currently available storage drives (suggested by piratesephiroth).
* The program now retrieves the extended partition information when parsing the currently available drives in order to get a proper starting offset, instead of manually calculating it based on the MBR information (which may not exist at all).
* Added a "Remove EmuNAND" button, which removes the selected EmuNAND from the SD card. Please bear in mind that this procedure modifies the partition table from the MBR, so backup your data before using it. If an EmuNAND that precedes one or more additional EmuNANDs is removed, these will also get lost. The removal of EmuNAND #1 is equivalent to formatting the SD card without an EmuNAND, e.g. you will gain back all the space consumed by the EmuNAND(s).
* Fixed a bug where the program wouldn't format the FAT32 partition of the selected drive after a previous run of the format procedure failed *but* the partition table was successfully modified.
* The program will now add a valid MBR to sector #0 if it isn't found during the format procedure.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

haloo12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I'm trying to create 2 emunands on a 64GB microsd card for a new3ds xl. my nand dumps are all 1240MB. when I use the tool, I can read and write the first emunand, but any additional nand (2,3,4) it tells me my file size is invalid instead of injecting it in place. I have reformatted my card both with Emunand9 and with the tool and both had the same issue. any Ideas?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
New release:

v1.6:
* Added support for 1.82 GiB N3DS NAND dumps.
* Added proper detection of 2DS NAND dumps.
* The "Format EmuNAND" procedure now defaults to the 'minimum' setup size, using a RedNAND.
* The program now forces the "Remove NAND" button to be enabled if a previous attempt to remove the first EmuNAND failed.
* The MBR is now manually initialized with zeros before creating it using WinAPI instructions (leftover data is kept in sector #0 otherwise).

As always, check the first post to get the download.

Is Multi Emunand Creator able to extract and inject emunands of a 1.82GB chip ?
I am asking because I tried several times but it tells me that the file size is invalid. I just wanted to have two different emunand on a single mSD.

Now it is. Sorry to keep you waiting, I wasn't aware of the fact that yet another type of N3DS NAND chip existed.

so I'm trying to create 2 emunands on a 64GB microsd card for a new3ds xl. my nand dumps are all 1240MB. when I use the tool, I can read and write the first emunand, but any additional nand (2,3,4) it tells me my file size is invalid instead of injecting it in place. I have reformatted my card both with Emunand9 and with the tool and both had the same issue. any Ideas?

Please try the new version and report back if you get any errors.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

haloo12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please try the new version and report back if you get any errors.

Tried the new version. It no longer complains about my nand dump sizes but it does give the following error when I try to inject a second nand "Couldn't seek to offset 0x000000000 in physical drive." I haven't had any other issues with this microsd card. looking at the partitions, your program correctly resized the FAT partition but did not inject the new NAND dump because of the error I recieved.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Tried the new version. It no longer complains about my nand dump sizes but it does give the following error when I try to inject a second nand "Couldn't seek to offset 0x000000000 in physical drive." I haven't had any other issues with this microsd card. looking at the partitions, your program correctly resized the FAT partition but did not inject the new NAND dump because of the error I recieved.

That's really messed up. Considering it's the second EmuNAND and the fact that it has a size of 1240 MiB, the reported offset should be at least 0x4DC00000 (New 3DS) or 0x3B000000 (2DS), if you're using the 'minimum' setup size. At which point in the program execution does this occur, exactly?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Here's a new release. Nothing new, it's just mainly bugfixes:

v1.61:
* Fixed a NAND offset miscalculation while parsing EmuNANDs.
* Fixed a regression bug where the NCSD header was always written/read to/from offset "nandsize + 512" instead of the appropiate sector (EmuNAND only).
* Fixed a bug where the calculated NAND size would be zero if a new EmuNAND with a size greater than the current layout was being injected.
* Improved FAT32 format procedure reliability (based on code from Rufus).
* Fixed a crash that occurred when attempting to format a new FAT32 partition (debug build only).
* The program is now licensed under GPLv3.

Check the first post to get the download, as always.

Reactions: cvskid and leerz

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Here's a new release. Nothing new, it's just mainly bugfixes:

Check the first post to get the download, as always.
Did we manage to find a way to detect the media type? I hope you remember me posting about a formatted external hdd when i had it plugged in formatting my 64GB sd.

I can snoop at how sdformatter from sandisk detects it by checking the api calls thru ollydb ( if it was using native w32 apis)
I hope you can impl. Checking of the drive sizd if more than 128GB

Outstanding work as always
Thanks

Reactions: DarkMatterCore

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Did we manage to find a way to detect the media type? I hope you remember me posting about a formatted external hdd when i had it plugged in formatting my 64GB sd.

I can snoop at how sdformatter from sandisk detects it by checking the api calls thru ollydb ( if it was using native w32 apis)
I hope you can impl. Checking of the drive sizd if more than 128GB

Outstanding work as always
Thanks

Not yet, sadly. In the meantime, @piratesephiroth suggested the use of a checkbox to filter out fixed drives from the drop-down lists. Months ago, I also thought about adding a capacity check, but I decided not to do it since it isn't something really consistent and is prone to change in the future.

If you can help me out on this matter, I'll greatly appreciate it. It's one of the things I'm still very eager to implement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1