Region Free from Smealum 9.0-9.4

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Psi-hate, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psi-hate
    OP

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    "regionthree : 3DS region free game on latest firmware"

Smealum just recently announced his region free how to in order to let you finally play out of region games. Some of them work in English too!

"oh also regionthree bypasses gamecard updates entirely. so should let you run majora's mask on your 9.2 ninjhax-compatible console."

His video's description says:
    http://twitter.com/smealum

this video shows regionthree (d), a region free game loader for the 3DS. at the moment it works on firmware versions 9.0 through 9.4, though only on 3DS, 3DSXL and 2DS models. this may change in the future.

to get regionthree (and its source code !), head over to https://github.com/smealum/regionthree/ and read the README !

2. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Yay, Gateway 9.4 support! Thanks smealum!

Gadorach, TUWieZ and AHP_person like this.
  3. Namodok

Namodok Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    Just booted up Monster Hunter 4 on my US 3DS. Still in japanese, but I wasn't expecting it to switch to english.

Would've been cool though.

4. dronesplitter

dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    United States
    This is so awesome. Thanks Smea!

5. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    There can't be an English translation if it was never translated. (At least that's how I think it works.)

6. MarioBrosThe

MarioBrosThe GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Wait what page do you have to go to, to get it to work?

7. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Gateway Ultra's page. Smea didn't want to give out the link so you gotta look yourself.

8. MarioBrosThe

MarioBrosThe GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    oh okay thanks!

9. renes2

renes2 ~New World~

Mar 14, 2009
    Gambia, The
    NRW
    Great Workshops that mean every time i wanna play an Other Region game, i must start this?Or Do i need to Start it just once?

10. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Unfortunately yes but it isn't too complicated. As long as you have the webpage bookmarked, you can do it in a matter of seconds. It's well worth the wait.

11. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Basically just follow the steps and it will become routine.

12. gokuguy

gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 5, 2008
    United States
    I wonder if this exploit could be used for an update to Ninjhax (keep in mind this is coming from someone that really hasn't looked into Ninjhax or this new regionthree thing).

13. Psi-hate
    This message by Psi-hate has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 17, 2015.
    Jan 17, 2015
  14. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Not happening, all this does is use the existing ROP chain and gsphax to take over DL Play and run a game. The actual part of the exploit which gained ARM11 kernel and then Process9 was patched.

SLiV3R likes this.
  15. TUWieZ

TUWieZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2014
    United States
    Awesome. Would be amazing if they could get the launcher to boot older blacklisted flash carts as well as region locked carts B)

16. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

However, it's still an exploit. Further investigating could lead to something new.

17. orochi115

orochi115 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2013
    Switzerland
    It's still a shame to require Gateway website as one step of the instructions. Why not host it on Ninjhax website?

18. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    alright, i have to share my politics here because the hypocrisy is starting to bother me. before i even begin my rant just note that i personally am not in support of piracy and think that smealum is a very talented hacker. I love the work he has done. But this is getting rediculous.
    This whole anti-piracy thing with this group has kept them from sharing some exploits and delaying others for intensely long periods of time. time that could have been used by other developers to create possibly amazing applications/tools. some that may not exist at all from a softmod standpoint due to purposeful limitations of the exploit.

that's one thing, and something i could keep my mouth shut about. but to use the work of another hacker entity (that you so openly despise) for your own means, and repackage it under your own 'righteous' brand is another. the work that this company has done for their own income has been stolen and reproduced. even though they make their money from unethical means, its still a form of piracy.

it's like saying that you don't condone the selling or use of crack cocaine, but you break into a dealers house and steal his drug money to make bongs for smoking weed.

if your going to hack, hack. do what you do. but please stop coating everything in this blatant hypocritical false morality. reverse engineering is just as frowned upon by companies (and effects it's income as equally) as piracy. you are no better. (using the work of your own devil, might make you worse ethically).

Space Monkey likes this.
  19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It doesn't look like a particularly useful exploit for running unsigned code. Unless the DLP app has access to other things that can in turn lead to further exploitation. But system apps have the bare minimum of permissions so I wouldn't expect anything more to come from this directly.

20. zdgr4ye5

zdgr4ye5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2014
    United States
    Omg, awesome ! Just started moster hunter 4 jap on my euro 2ds! Pls add new 3ds support as soon as possible! (I have Japanese new 3ds LL monster hunter 4 edition)

21. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    You realize the "gw exploit" is actually composed of at least 4 different exploits? (WebKit one allows to write ROP chains with the privileges of the browser, with this (1st) you use gspwn via rop (2nd) to gain code execution (not just rop anymore) inside the browser. With that and gspwn again, they trigger an arm11 kernel exploit (3rd). Then they trigger a still undisclosed arm9 kernel exploit (4th). The kernel exploits were probably patched, this is built with what is left of the "gw exploit", to get code execution inside Download Play and use it to just launch the cart (it apparently has the required permissions to do it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.