Red wii and gamecube iso loading?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Celice, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010
  1. Celice
    OP

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Is there any fancy new tricks to getting gamecube isos to load on the red wii? I know the drive's been updated to check against most plain DVDs, but my brother's been having a lot of trouble getting gamecube isos to load. We got the USB loader working fine for Wii games, but it crashes on loading any gamecube games (though the loader recognizes them).

My brother's disabled and so getting back and forth between the computer and wii can be a hassle (he uses the same TV for viewing both), and I'm not always there to help. Are there any clear tutorials to getting gamecube backup loaders running? Any conflicts that perhaps the USB loader (I saw his IOS was 58, if that matters any) would bring to the table? I want to help him out, but I'm not familiar with any of the wii modding stuff.

There's tons of posts on this I'm sure, but I haven't been able to wade through much, since GBAtemp's search is notorious for giving you everything but what you're looking for [​IMG]

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    NOT possible.

You need an older Wii without a D3 drive.
    Usb loading is only possible throught Wode.

BURNED DISC LOADING IS NOT POSSIBLE ON A NEW RED WII.

3. Celice
    OP

United States
    I might not have been clear, so if not, what I mean specifically is loading gamecube isos off a storage medium, such as the harddrive or an SD card (which I know a few channels offer to choice to load from these, including for gamecube games). Disks are obviously completely out of the question.

4. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    What channel would that be? It does not exsist.

5. Celice
    OP

United States
    I believe it was a Wiigator channel which allowed you to choose to boot an iso image from either a physical disk, a usb device, or an SD card.

6. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Nope, that's impossible because the gamecube mode will disable wii sd and usb. DIOS-MIOS was a project to load from USB, but it failed. You will need a older wii dvd drive, a WODE, a sd gecko or usb gecko, that's everything you can do.

7. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    There is no possible way to boot GCN games off of anything other than a DVD-R, except getting a WODE, but even that would provide you with rather 'unstable' gameplay. The closest we've gotten is with DIOS-MIOS, but that's no longer in development, and it only supports a handful of (bad?) titles.

The WiiGator channel basically is what NeoGamma R9 Beta does nowadays. Boots games from DVD-R, USB HDD, or SD Card. However, GameCube games can only be run from disc.

In short, there isn't a possible way, as of right now, that GameCube games can be run from USB HDD or an SD card using a softmodded Wii. Your best choice is to replace the DVD drive with an older D3 drive. Or you could get a WODE...

8. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    wrong. the wiikey fusion can load game cube games.

You can either use a disc emulator modchip (hardmod) or go the softmod route and load via things like wiigator etc.

As for the disc drives, you can order an older disc drive and swap out the newer D3-2 disc drives if you want to use physical backups.

9. Celice
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the nicer help and clearer explanations.

10. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    Some people need more help than others.....