Recent Wii U Hacking News Roundup

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    hero-1.jpg
    October was a huge month for the Wii U hacking scene, chock full of major advancements being made in regards to loading backups, emunand, and hax on a v5.5.1 firmware. It can also get confusing for those who aren't in the know, so let's take a moment to compile all of the biggest revelations from the busy month of October.

USB Loading

October 20th: User BurningDesire posts a thread on how to load Wii U games from a WiiU USB via a Brazilian team method that uses a WUP installer. You need to have a ticket in order to do this, which can be extracted from a WUD disc image. The tickets extracted from WUD was incorrect and required a fixing tool before using them. This version of backup loading is incompatible with loadiine format, as the USB method requires encrypted files. This method is often called "USB method" but the games can be installed on the internal console's memory too. Only games from the same region than the console can be installed.

:arrow: SOURCE

Firmware Loading
    October 22nd: User pwsincd shows off a CFW booter for the Wii U. You can now load Wii U firmwares which lets you dump system files with IOSU access. You cannot use this to dump your NAND or get it to boot redNand, however. At the time, this seems to be targeted at developers to test things with rather than end-user usage.

Crediar's WUD Extraction Tool
    October 27th: With this DiscU update to v4.1b, users can now extract tickets from their WUD files in the correct format and don't need to fix them anymore. Additionally, WUD game content can also be extracted as encrypted format needed by WUP installer.

RedNAND Gets Released
    October 30th: Once again, thanks to the hard work of pwsincd, Dimok, and their team, the CFW booter combined with this can dump your Wii U's NAND to an SD card. By using this, eShop titles can be installed on your redirected NAND copy regardless of origin, aka, it bypasses the system's signature check. At the time of writing, there is still no way to install homebrew to your RedNAND, though. Of course, this does have potential to brick systems if you are not careful, so be sure to read up and know what you're doing before you use it.

WUPHAX
    October 30th: Thanks to Fix94 work, vWii can now be hacked from the Wii U side via iosuhax in order to install the homebrew channel. This means you no longer require a specific game in order to softmod the Wii mode of your WiiU. You'll need a Wii U with iosuhax and wupserver in order to do this.

Region Free Loading
    October 30th: Nintendo's region lock antics getting you down? Fear not! As installed backups can be repacked to run out of region titles on your system. A tutorial will guide you through the required file edition and tools, but with it comes easy region free loading. This method will work only on RedNAND, repacked games can't be installed on SysNAND! Check out the specifics in the 8th spoiler tag at the link below.

Haxchi
    November 6th: The latest exploit, Haxchi, is a userland exploit that's usable directly on system boot. Right now, it has no use to the average Wii U owner, but in time, it can lead to important things like cold booting a CFW. This can cause easy bricking of consoles, so please be wary, and wait for more developments.

Retroarch Gets An Initial Release
    The well-known Retroarch finally comes to Wii U! This is a very early build, and currently is only in a pre-release form, but will be receiving updates soon. SNES emulation seems to be working well, although currently, not all cores function correctly.

And there we have it! Thank you to all the talented people who are working to advance the Wii U homebrew scene. From the looks of it, things are getting very interesting for Wii U owners.

2. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    Should get I get wii u now?
    or just wait for the switch?

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    @Chary you forgot retroarch is in pre release! That is the thing a lot want!

zoogie, Chary and DeoNaught like this.
  4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    both consoles are a different experience, and will probably have different games.
    You should choose based on the games you really want to play, and the possibilities it offers you to do so.

You can now play a lot of games on WiiU, but we don't know a lot about Switch.
    If you have games you want to play on WiiU, go for it.

We can add retroArch to the news.
    I didn't follow the emulator, so I missed that news (oh it's from 1-2 days ago, I missed that and Haxchi)
    thanks for the info.

5. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    My opinion? If there's not any decent sale during Black Friday this year, just wait it out for the Switch. Unless you're a hardcore Nintendo fan, the Wii U has a very small choice selection of games. But that's my opinion. You might see a ton of games that interest you on the Wii U. If so, go for it!

Huh. Well I suppose that is fairly interesting, give me a moment and I'll look into adding it to the OP.

DeoNaught likes this.
  6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Chary likes this.
  7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Don't forget an initial release of RetroArch :)

VinLark and Chary like this.
  8. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Wow, this month and October has been a huge Wii U hacking boom. Great to see this happen!

kbmarinha and Chary like this.
  9. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Excellent news. I need to upgrade my Wii soon. The Wii U will be the perfect all-in-one console for me. Just need a price drop. Hoping for a good Black Friday or Boxing Day.

DeoNaught and Chary like this.
  10. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    It really has been an exciting few weeks on the Wii U. Getting so much use out of the system lately.

Chary likes this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well wow O_O

All i have to say is nice work for everyone, except most of the stuff seem to be unsafe with so many times you used the word brick. :rolleyes:

So if this page gets updated sometime, just hope i get to know when loading a homebrew channel will be possible so i don't need to keep using web browser, and if any of the already existing wii homebrew/emulators will be ported to wii u side of things, or least use wii u gamepad on vwii mode, to play wii games, use nintendon't and wii ware stuff, or something. :D

12. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    I can't wait for a moonlight port for Wii U. :D

Chary likes this.
  13. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    Next year the wiiU will be like wii (softmod) :hrth:

14. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    This has been indeed a busy few weeks . A lot of people are working hard to bring these things to the wiiu . I will say I made a few posts here with revealing news but played little part in the creation process . Just facilitated the environment. A gathering of minds if u will.

Chary likes this.
  15. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I need my Wii U back so bad....
    Oh well, in the meantime, I'm a 3DS homebrew dev...

16. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    It feels like the Wii U scene is really exploding with developments. Reminds me of the Wii scene back in 2007.

17. supergamer368

supergamer368 The guy who randomly started playing the Wii again

May 22, 2016
    United States
    In a wastebasket reading my neighbor's mail
    Cries tears of joy

Chary and DeoNaught like this.
  18. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Key Largo, Florida
    Are you kidding? I own 57 games for WII U. All of them good. The Wii U is the new GameCube!

19. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    @Chary, someone getting triggered watch out.:creep:

So far, i have smash bros, new mario bros u with luigi dlc (didn't like it) rayman legends (according to many worst system to have it on.) sonic sega allstar racing, sonic lost world, super mario 3d world, and both bayonetta games, and ninja gaiden 3 (many say not as good as the first one) xenoblade chronicles x, and Super mario maker, and the rest are some indie game i downloaded like freedom planet, shovel knight, shantae and the pirate curse, angery video game nerd adventures (when sequal?) guacamelee, and a few vc titles. I was thinking about getting mario kart and splatoon but i'll wait for nintendo switch. :unsure:

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  20. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    This is awesome. Thank you @Chary

Chary likes this.