Re-Soldering WiiKey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by stok3d, Mar 25, 2008.

Mar 25, 2008

Re-Soldering WiiKey by stok3d at 7:25 PM (1,573 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. stok3d
    OP

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    Hey guys

I'm still somewhat of a soldering n00b so bear with me.

A while back I had to send the Wii back to Nintendo because of the Brawl issue. I had to remove the WiiKey in a hurry so I could get it sent out ASAP, but didn't have an Iron handy. Anyways, it was a wired install and I just kind of pulled the wires off, leaving small bits of solder on the board contacts. My question is, now that I want to re-attach the WiiKey, does the old solder need to be removed or can I just heat it with a quick touch and quickly re-attach each wire?

tia for any help

2. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well when i tought i killed my Wii i just pulled my wires out too.

Well if theres still a little bit of wire inside the solder then remove them.
    And then just resolder all the wires and you are good to go. (Unless you didn't make any wires break inside the wire)

I didn't do wire install after. I just did a quick solder becurse i knew it wont be hard to take of. But i would say reattach the wires.

3. stok3d
    OP

Canada
    ah, nevermind. turns out the lying bastards replaced the whole dvd drive. (dust and smoke, LOL)

it was strange because nintendo sent me a letter back with the wii saying there was a 'foreign object' inside the wii and ssbb is tested and working now. they said they'd fix it for free 'this time' but next time they'd have to charge me..but uhm, all my games worked before i sent it to you, except brawl??? the funny part is that that 'foreign object' could hot have been placed inside the wii by a child or whatever, because it's too big to fit through any openings. it had to be something that fell off inside..it was a black, button shaped piece of plastic that had 'push' in tiny letters on the one side.

so anyways now the wiikey is useless and i'll need to spend some decent coin to get this wii playing backups again ---> boo hoo

4. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

At least I know now that I can tweak my laser weaker (and make it stop reading DL) send my Wii in with a friend's copy of Brawl if the drive ever deteriorates beyond the point that it is now.

EDIT: It was a D2C drive they ship you, wasn't it?

5. stok3d
    OP

Canada
    yes, it's a D2C and it had SBB-Wii written on the top with marker....hmm

it hums along like a dream though, quiet as a mouse. so losing the old drive isn't all bad.

6. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Lol. So are you going with the Wasabi now since Wiikey will not work?

7. stok3d
    OP

Canada
    possibly wasabi (named after the bud light commercials) but i want to look over the other options and see how things pan out over the next week or two. have been looking around my area for installers but haven't found one yet. the cheapest i've seen the wasabi or argon in canada for is around $55-$60 before tax and delivery, not bad i guess.

8. CPOStudios

Newcomer CPOStudios Advanced Member

United States
    Wasabi is a spicy Japanese food, usually served with Sushi and Sushimi. Now, maybe the Wasabi chip happened to be inspired by the Bud-light commercial and I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure it isn't named for the commercial. Again, could be totally wrong and you have a bit of information that I don't. [​IMG]

9. stok3d
    OP

Canada
    yeah i know.. [​IMG] but when i hear wasabi those commercials are the first thing i think of, heheh

10. katsuce

Member katsuce GBAtemp Fan

France
    wow... nintendo replaces old drives with D2C now...
    Hope my wii won't crap out on me then. I'd grab a replacement drive from ebay though