Hacking RB2 Customs - Proof of Concept

doctorfaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking great! The drummer looks bored though, heh. Am I mistaken or aren't the animations supposed to be in part controlled by the note charts? So shouldn't there be a way to (for instance) make the drummer stomp the bass pedal whenever a bass note comes up in the chart, without having to specify animations for each and every bass note?

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
doctorfaust said:
Looking great! The drummer looks bored though, heh. Am I mistaken or aren't the animations supposed to be in part controlled by the note charts? So shouldn't there be a way to (for instance) make the drummer stomp the bass pedal whenever a bass note comes up in the chart, without having to specify animations for each and every bass note?

Yes, there's a way, they know how it works on 360. Whether or not Wii is the same, I don't know.

Grim666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgive me if it's been asked before (just ignore this if it has) : Is overdrive (starpower) non-existent then? Could make some songs tough to pass
tongue.gif
and also solos? are they able to be charted in?

ShakaHeath

Trophies
XP
Country
France
tueidj said:
Alternity said:
Ohh so you can't add em?
No they're stored on the disc. But there's a lot of them, including bands that don't even currently have songs in the game.
There's also weird error messages like this:

but we'll do our best to make sure you don't see them.

I've already seen this before... This is fun! Isn't this error linked to faulty installed DLC?

QUOTE(Grim666 @ Jun 29 2009, 03:36 PM)
Forgive me if it's been asked before (just ignore this if it has) : Is overdrive (starpower) non-existent then? Could make some songs tough to pass
tongue.gif

Both overdrive and solos should be possible to chart! The only thing we need to know is how are they triggered in the notechart. Possibly an extra note defining the length of the Overdrive Phrase or an event saying "here it starts" and another saying "here it ends" (same for the solos).

Grim666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks very much HeathCliff for the reply
smile.gif
just hadn't noticed any on that video and got worried
smile.gif
sometimes i need my overdrive!

ShadowChaos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heathcliff said:
Grim666 said:
tongue.gif

Both overdrive and solos should be possible to chart! The only thing we need to know is how are they triggered in the notechart. Possibly an extra note defining the length of the Overdrive Phrase or an event saying "here it starts" and another saying "here it ends" (same for the solos).
solos are charted the same as star power in GH games, if you look at the original knights of cydonia RB2 vid, there are solos where SP notes would be, idk about overdrive, however

and another question, are the animations part of the midi/chart file? does RawkSD make them? or are they just random? i noticed that the animation matched up on the newest vid

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
doctorfaust said:
Looking great! The drummer looks bored though, heh. Am I mistaken or aren't the animations supposed to be in part controlled by the note charts? So shouldn't there be a way to (for instance) make the drummer stomp the bass pedal whenever a bass note comes up in the chart, without having to specify animations for each and every bass note?I only charted drums for a small part of the song.

Grim666 said:
tongue.gif
and also solos? are they able to be charted in?The chart wasn't finished, so I hadn't put anything like overdrive in it yet. Both overdrive and solos can be charted, though using FeedBack it seems like you can only chart one or the other (then use a MIDI editor yourself to chart the other).

and another question, are the animations part of the midi/chart file? does RawkSD make them? or are they just random? i noticed that the animation matched up on the newest vid
Animations / camera / lighting effects are part of the midi file. If there are no animations in a chart (which, for the moment, applies to pretty much all charts) it will generate random ones for you. My video had them randomly generated.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
- Animations like the guitarist's fingers or the drummer's arms/legs are controlled by the notes. Then there's other stuff like the camera angles, lighting and actions that are controlled by separate notes. When AerialX first added automatic generation of these they were pretty tame, a new random camera angle every few seconds. But then he turbo-charged them and now you get a lot of crazy stuff happening like stage-dives, crowd surfing and guitar smashing (in the middle of the song).
- So if the .mid file for a custom has a drum part, the drummer will be animated to play it. Otherwise he just waves his sticks around or spins in circles.
- Overdrive and solos are both possible. GH3/GHA imported songs get their star-power sections converted to overdrive and most also get solo sections added, based on a guessing algorithm that seems to work pretty well.
- The animations are generated randomly by RawkSD when it creates the custom song on the PC. The actions it chooses to use are random, but they will be the same each time you play the song on the wii.

Alternity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AerialX said:
The chart wasn't finished, so I hadn't put anything like overdrive in it yet. Both overdrive and solos can be charted, though using FeedBack it seems like you can only chart one or the other (then use a MIDI editor yourself to chart the other).

In fact as far as I know you can't chart overdrive trough FeedBack, and the only way to insert solo section is to identify them as Star Power in dB.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
Alternity said:
AerialX said:
The chart wasn't finished, so I hadn't put anything like overdrive in it yet. Both overdrive and solos can be charted, though using FeedBack it seems like you can only chart one or the other (then use a MIDI editor yourself to chart the other).

In fact as far as I know you can't chart overdrive trough FeedBack, and the only way to insert solo section is to identify them as Star Power in dB.
Ah, but RawkSD gives you the option to treat those notes as overdrive when you import the note chart.
tongue.gif

Tzvi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AerialX said:
Ah, but RawkSD gives you the option to treat those notes as overdrive when you import the note chart.
tongue.gif

And it will also do your laundry, make you breakfast, and increase your gas mileage.

Damn, no matter what anybody comes up with RawkSD already has a solution in place for it.

Me want! Me want badly!

Tomorrow is my birthday, this would make a nice gift. *HINT* *HINT*
wink.gif

Maurice10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'm sure this is omgobvious and I believe so too, since you fretted your own song,
but will we be able to import frets on fire (fofix) songs?

Bonus question: Does it matter whether the game we took the songs from is PAL, or NTSC, or the same as our RB2, or whatever?

ShakaHeath

Trophies
XP
Country
France
tueidj said:
- Overdrive and solos are both possible. GH3/GHA imported songs get their star-power sections converted to overdrive and most also get solo sections added, based on a guessing algorithm that seems to work pretty well.
I know for sure that there are "solo sections" in GH3. In FeedBack this event is triggered using "solo on" and "solo off"... might be cool if you used this instead.

QUOTE(Maurice10 @ Jun 29 2009, 09:03 PM) Okay I'm sure this is omgobvious and I believe so too, since you fretted your own song,
but will we be able to import frets on fire (fofix) songs?

Bonus question: Does it matter whether the game we took the songs from is PAL, or NTSC, or the same as our RB2, or whatever?
For Fofix, I think this was already answered before and the answer is yes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the game you're using, they told me in this very same topic that you could use PAL RB1 (so we can play New Wave and Manu Chao...)

Parama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AerialX said:
Alternity said:
AerialX said:

tongue.gif
How would you chart an OD phrase during a solo section, then?

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
Heathcliff said:
tueidj said:
I know for sure that there are "solo sections" in GH3. In FeedBack this event is triggered using "solo on" and "solo off"... might be cool if you used this instead.I'm not sure where these sections are listed in GH3's QB files... I haven't really seen anything for them. If anyone does know, it'd be helpful...

QUOTE(Parama @ Jun 29 2009, 04:11 PM)
How would you chart an OD phrase during a solo section, then?
With a MIDI editor :/
That's the problem. FeedBack isn't all that flexible, so you can really only choose whether you want to chart OD or solos, and do the others with a MIDI editor or some other trick.
Though I don't know FeedBack all that well, maybe it can be customized? It looks like a RB-specific chart program would be pretty useful for all of us...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.