Razer announces gaming-focused "Razer Phone" announcement, benchmark reveals specs

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Such a thing is also why I skipped the 3ds and to this day consider a weak offering, though as I also skipped owning a phone or tablet I am not sure what I did.
Your rigid opinion on the 3ds library, has no bearing on if people treat phones as actual gaming devices.

I still don't think regular phones are comparable to actually game devices. I really do think controls really hurts that transition. Xperia Play fixed the design issue and power is decent even for cheaper phones. Until more companies make phones with gamepads or at least a clip-on specifically for their phones included, phones will be limited game wise. Ideally, a true gaming phone would have physical media like carts, but unfortunately that is asking too much.

Ask for battery, it can have a bigger battery than regular phones, if it isn't trying to win "I'm the thinnest" contest. This phone shouldn't cost more than $600, if not less than $500.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your rigid opinion on the 3ds library, has no bearing on if people treat phones as actual gaming devices.

I still don't think regular phones are comparable to actually game devices. I really do think controls really hurts that transition. Xperia Play fixed the design issue and power is decent even for cheaper phones. Until more companies make phones with gamepads or at least a clip-on specifically for their phones included, phones will be limited game wise. Ideally, a true gaming phone would have physical media like carts, but unfortunately that is asking too much.

Cartridges or not seems like a strange hill to make your stand on. If only because the option to resell licenses for applications purchased is more than technically feasible. Likewise I am more than happy to wander into a shop and have something downloaded to my device.

Clip on or built in could help but frankly we have had bluetooth controllers, even ones where said controller makers rounded up a bunch of decent devs of the day and got them to bake in support, since around the time android stumbled onto the scene. Limited buttons by default does hurt game design as it has been since... ages but I have seen more than enough things make the transition and enough new styles. Much of the early stuff was rather simplistic but we seem to have got past that now and I can have any number of games that force me to learn complex systems, shove reams of text and video at me and all the other measures we tend to consider for more than distractions and time wasting.

The 3ds library. I (I being someone that does not care about Nintendo franchises beyond Starfy and Advance Wars) liked the GBA (GBC too but did not have a flash cart or emulator really at the time), the DS gave me more of the same but better. I wanted the same for the 3ds but every time I went looking I found it lacking, and looking for why that might be so I found a developer exodus. An analogy of sorts that used to be favoured was the GBC was like a portable NES, the GBA/DS a portable SNES and that would mean the 3ds was the portable N64... which is actually quite fitting.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartridges or not seems like a strange hill to make your stand on. If only because the option to resell licenses for applications purchased is more than technically feasible. Likewise I am more than happy to wander into a shop and have something downloaded to my device.

Clip on or built in could help but frankly we have had bluetooth controllers, even ones where said controller makers rounded up a bunch of decent devs of the day and got them to bake in support, since around the time android stumbled onto the scene. Limited buttons by default does hurt game design as it has been since... ages but I have seen more than enough things make the transition and enough new styles. Much of the early stuff was rather simplistic but we seem to have got past that now and I can have any number of games that force me to learn complex systems, shove reams of text and video at me and all the other measures we tend to consider for more than distractions and time wasting.
3DS aside...

Even now, I lot of people like their games physical, including me. If only to have a sense of actually owning the game. Does anyone actually do resell-able licenses? Not that it matters, because that and physical game can coexist. Not only that, it makes the games more accessible for areas with poor or slow internet. If any, that is. Also, it would be another standout feature. Another reason to buy it.

Well, I'm not saying games on phones haven't improve and they aren't any good games on phones, but I'm sure most of those games could be better and more complex, if they had physical controls.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are some places which do software reselling and the US and Europe (not sure about elsewhere off the top of my head) appear to have rulings to allow it or even mandate its availability after a fashion. I don't however see anywhere making it amazon/ebay easy to do.

"poor or slow internet"
Other than what gets called emerging markets does that really exist many places any more? I guess you could consider those with only mobile internet (much like most people only had a landline to have internet through it seems some took the next step when 3g sort of became OK).

"coexist"
If your money is made in the margins, and you need to stump up good money for a run of things I can see simple market forces rendering it something of a
That you would use ownership in such a context to me seems like a testament to the effectiveness of the marketing peeps. I always remember sitting there very puzzled after reading a Steam FAQ or something once where it posed the question of being able to give friends your used keys (this was some time before the EU ruling and after key sending got invented for the orange box or whatever) and it implying they were nasty and horrible and you would not want to do that.

I like button based games and find touch screen only sometimes quite limiting for certain types of action, however much like the DS ruined name input screens and inventory management for me I can see it also going for phones. Much like analogue sticks kind of suck for fighting games but on the flip side most dpads today are inventory selection I am sure something similar will happen with screens

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
T H E T R U E M O B I L E G A M I N G E X P E R I E N C E F O R H A R D C O R E G A M E R S.

realtalk though there's really nothing special about it except for that razer made it. probably gonna have a hefty price tag too

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If they did not have to also run a 2600MHz transmitter/receiver in fairly frequent use they are comparable to a DS.

No, I get that. I know why the battery drain is the way it is. Just think we're at that point where better optimizing battery life is more important than pure performance... But hey, I'm just a consumer. I don't understand the ins and outs of it all. Just know what I want out of a device.. Even if a tad unrealistic.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

T H E T R U E M O B I L E G A M I N G E X P E R I E N C E F O R H A R D C O R E G A M E R S.

realtalk though there's really nothing special about it except for that razer made it. probably gonna have a hefty price tag too
Might not have even made it.. Just taken an already built device and slapped their logo on it. Time will tell.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so, gaming phone with no controller attachment, and it's by Razer, king of cheaply made accessories. To top it off, it has a 120hz screen. For a phone. What games actually exist that are going to take advantage of that? Boy I can't wait to play Candy Crush on a high refresh rate and strong Qualcomm chipset, said no soccer mom ever.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so, gaming phone with no controller attachment, and it's by Razer, king of cheaply made accessories. To top it off, it has a 120hz screen. For a phone. What games actually exist that are going to take advantage of that? Boy I can't wait to play Candy Crush on a high refresh rate and strong Qualcomm chipset, said no soccer mom ever.
The only thing I could really see this benefiting from is for mobile VR, especially for people who don't want to buy a dedicated PC headset

Otherwise it looks stupid

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Woah woah woah, I'll have you know I play Scrabble and that is a very competitive, high pace game that requires 120hz to even be good at thank you very much!

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Also, no headphone jack nor waterproof.
Seriously how utterly stupid can phone makers be for making phones without a headphone jack? I thought only Apple is stupid enough but to think that other companies followed them is fucking unbelievable.
8498D929-C821-4195-AB15-4109BBCB0032.jpeg

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, as a phone, it isn't that bad, but there are better overall phones out there. Would choose another phone for waterproofing alone.
For gaming, it just comes short for that purpose due the lack of physical controls. While it will get games ported specifically for the phone, it still going to be mostly limited on
what types of games, just like any other phone.

Reactions: zfreeman and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
$700... Snapdragon 835... 4000mah Battery... 120hz screen.... 8GB of RAM.. Tell me. What other phones offer that or better for the same price or less? The lack of an OLED display of sorts is off putting to an extent, but there's a reason for that.

120hz isn't necessarily a selling point for casual users... But after using a high refresh rate on an iPad? I can say I'm actually excited for this. Looking at some reviews points toward it being a solid device with various shortcomings.

I guess no waterproofing is dumb, but be real. Did we really need it? Being able to swim with your phone is cool and all, but it's not something that should be seen as standard.

No headphone jack is a massive negative. Considering people still use wired headphones.. Apparently the answer to that is an adapter? Okay APPLE.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 999.... Apple.... Can I just use 999 dollar bills and light them on fire?