1. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Xperia Play was a failure, heck, all phones that attempted to become more of a console rather than an actual phone failed miserably, and for good reasons. Most phones that end up having physical buttons, well... stop being actual phones.

These devices are gaming focused smartphones, they are not consoles nor do they aim to become one.
    Just how a gaming focused desktop or laptop is just like any other computer at the end of the day.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    a desktop maybe i could pass, but gaming focused laptop's gaming features do make them a bit worse for general use, mostly the huge power adaptors and the overall laptop also being humongous

3. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol what. By physical buttons, do you mean specifically game controllers, or things like a physical keyboard? I'll assume the former.

And in that case, how many phones even fit that description? Xperia Play is one.... and I guess N-Gage was another. But that's it AFAIK. Maybe there are a handful of other obscure phones that no one has ever heard of, but there is not enough evidence to support your conclusions.

The Nintendo 3DS and Vita are proof that mobile handhelds are a compelling gaming format. They may not have been enormous commercial successes because they were competing with smartphones for customer's pocket space, but the gaming experiences they provided were far better than anything a smartphone can offer even today.

A smartphone that could offer the same gaming experience as a 3DS/Vita without forcing customers to choose between a game console and a smartphone is an idea with a lot of potential. IMO the only one in a position to pull it off is Apple, but they've historically never cared about gaming so that's unlikely. And if Google or some Android OEM does it, it's likely going to be a half-assed low-quality unsupported mess...unless maybe Sony tries it.

4. Vilagamer999

Vilagamer999 <|°_°|>

United Kingdom
    Personally it will take me a while to get used to the fact gaming phones exist... I would still go for a sony xperia xz premium

5. Skelletonike

Portugal
    The 3DS was a huge success. The vita, not so much.
    I am someone who loves handhelds and I usually carry several with me (3DS, GBA, Vita and Switch, even though I barely play any of them during work breaks), however handhelds and phones are different in the same way that a PC is not a console. They can do similar things, but they are not the same.

What you seem to want is a handheld device and not an actual phone.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Is phone functionality not a simple function you can effectively just chuck onto any old device as a bonus not unlike you might chuck a LED torch, FM radio or similar into one?

7. Skelletonike

Portugal
    The way things are atm, not really.
    Phones nowadays, smartphones, are pretty much a portable computer. You can do anything with a smartphone these days, heck, you can even write code and program with it if you feel inclined to do so.

With how reliant people are on social networks these days, just adding a sim card would not work that well.

8. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

Portugal
    Honestly, you're better off just buying a Note 9.

Far better device, with practically exact same performance, and none of the software bugs.

A used Note 9 would be the best bet. Or the new Poco phone.

Costs too much for what it offers. Would be a different situation if it had the Snapdragon 865+ ..

9. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's a sweet deal for $650. Samsung Galaxies are hella overpriced nowadays. When I am ready to buy a smartphone, I will always look beyond the mainstream.

10. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Thankfully, no, I haven't. Except for the DS Lite.
    I'm pretty sure you need a dial code to get to that menu on a modern phone.

But imagine having to pair a screen that wasn't built into the hardware. I can see it now: "Calibration could not detect a screen."
    As an error message. On the screen. Which "isn't there." It just sounds like something that would somehow happen.

11. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Mexico
    The ROG Phone 3 is better trust me

12. Wdnx05GBAT

Wdnx05GBAT Newbie
    Newcomer

Thailand

Could you please describe using the right controller with Genshin Impact?
    Does the right analog work properly by mapping with camera movement?

Based on other online reviews, It is jerky with FPS and TPS. I plan to buy it for playing Genshin Impact alone but afraid of this problem.

Thank you in advance :):):)

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - gaming, Hands, first