1. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    I still dont see the problem though. Why touch, why not contoller like in old days, if phones actually have one like xperia play had it (lol old days...its sad that im saying that because thats how it should be imo. Fucking touch screen)
    Its just an OS. Designers know how to design them and test them. Thats the least problem imo.

Consider or not, they basically are gamers. I eman they game... game...gameRS.
    But while its not a philosophical question you can argue that true gamers are people who have passion for games, and not just play them as pass time activity and than dont care or know anything about it.
    So its like different side of a same coin as how i see it. lol

Scarlet likes this.
  2. Legendaykai

Legendaykai Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    While that's really sweet of you but I will never class a Phone as a console/gaming system
    pcs make tha majority of the titles of what we play so pcs are not part of this issue here.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    No, sorry for breathing the same oxygen of you, I'm human and I make mistakes. Oy vey.

Stealphie likes this.
  4. MetoMeto

Japan
    Now that you mentioned word "room", game "the ROOM" trilogy (i actual highly recommend them, puzzle games, gorgeous looking) is a perfect example how good/console level mobile games can be and how powerful Android as a platform can be.
    Or game like "Implosion: never loose hope" and so on...

I mean idk i'm not a developer...but i heard devs prefer iOS.
    But again, OS is not a problem imo. Every console has one, they are developing new OS's all the time.

I actually searched many console-like games on android (since obviously, i like console games), there are many really great games and
    mini-games that are still console like.
    "Bomb Chicken" for example and nitrome games have some bite size great console like experience games on Android, and lately i see them on a PC and Switch also with good reception.
    All you need is an idea, good will, talented people and ofc the love~

To get back to what you said "more room to develop"...
    Yes that is very true, and while i agree that mobile audience is potential large mass, i think passion gamers already know what they want, devs wont find any new people in that mass. The people that already ARE in that mass already have switch or PS4, preordered PS5, and if true gaming phone ever comes out they will be the real audience imo.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

My NOKIA 6 charges from
    0% to 100% in 45 min. and from
    0% to 50% in 22.5 min.

And that's my potato phone!
    I can imagine how better more modern phones are!

P.S. fun fact:
    If you take out any cartridge (flashcart or real game) from your game slot in 3DS, the battery life increases drastically!
    Cartridges and especially flashcarts like R4 loooove to eat 3DS battery power, they are like parasites!
    Not joking! After you done playing or in stand by especially, take out the card from the slot, and when doing comparison, it would be better comparison imo.

Last edited by MetoMeto, Oct 19, 2020
    Scarlet, swosho and JavaScribe like this.
  5. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Either:
    1. You design it to work with existing phones. Most don't have controllers. You can try to make it compatible with as many third-party accessories as possible, in which case, good luck- you'll need it. Or you can make it touch-based.
    Or:
    2. You design software AND hardware. Again, good luck- you'll need it. Also, at what point does it become a handheld with a SIM tray?

Just because you can make it work, doesn't mean you can make it work well. It's harder than you might think.

Perhaps. Especially if phones like this one become popular. And it is possible to make games that work really well with a touchscreen, if you're creative.

Steam exists.
    (See also: Razer, Corsair, Steelseries, ROG, Alienware, Legion, HyperX, et cetera)

MetoMeto likes this.
  6. MetoMeto

Japan
    You have point there.

JavaScribe likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    From what I have seen of your logic then because the DSi included a camera and a MP3 player it was not a gaming system.

8. MetoMeto

Japan
    Hmm...what i think he means is that phones should never be gaming devices at their present state, not because they cant render games (they can ofc), but because they are not so well polished and focused on gaming.
    They dont know what they wanna be.
    I meani kinda get him, i was also there and still am. Im waiting for a Xperia 2 so to say and better support for game library of more quality console-like games for smartphones and ofc dedicated hardware, i mean controller, buttons etc.

So i can kinda get what he is saying, i would also never consider phones as they are a gaming devices, no matter that they are capable of rendering advanced graphics. Graphics is just not everything when t comes to gaming.
    hile i can play gaes on my mobile, its not same experience as with switch, vita, gba, ds etc.... those devices know what they are and i think thats big destinction.

Phones as gaming devices can exist as hybrids phone/console but need to bo more on one side and less on another imo so it can have clear purpose.
    Phones today, although powerfull, and even this phone here, overweight on a phone side despite its specs, it just lacks conviniences such as better UI/OS, controller built in for fast and easy gaming.
    This is still a smartphone more than a console...just another smartphone in sea of smartphones with nothing more than..more horsepower and small (or big) "features"...but esentially a smartphone such as Mu nokia 6 or note 20 or iphone.

As i mentioned above, only Xperia PLAY can be separated from all of them by function and formfactor alone (having dedicated controller biolt it), even though its much less powerfull device!

Whenever i take it out these days on a street or at freinds house they all go: "dam dude! what is that thing, a gaming console? oh wow now its a phone! so cool!"

But this phone covered here...just...yeah, another block with screen.

Consoles are based on philosophy of simplicity and fast uage.
    now carrying separate clunku BT controller is not simple, and searching ocean of stupid casual games to find few good quality one... so by that logic i think he has a point. I can also never call THIS phone a true gaming phone.

Last edited by MetoMeto, Oct 20, 2020
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Simplicity and fast usage went the way of the dodo about the time we started getting online updates for games. On handhelds when some of the most popular games on those systems were ports of 30 hour + SNES RPGs and things you might mistake for one then simplicity and fast usage was also dealt something of a blow. Indeed it might even be phones as they stand today that offer the superior "5 minutes before class, in the car, waiting for the bus" type deal which is a bit of a crying shame really as I do like having something for such a task.

As far as handhelds. None I have ever seen have been ideal for the task. All have had major compromises on every front that I can give you a dozen improvements for each (screen resolution, video out, form factor being anything but a nice comfortable controller and so on).
    With that in mind I don't see a great distinction here. There are good reasons for many of those but their nature is still compromised.

Separate controller. Don't see it much more than carrying a controller and memory card for an evening on the N64 back when or a pouch of games, or indeed a power bank. Built in, rails... all seem like an arbitrary distinction.

Are phone games as they presently stand given 5 years more polish going to lead us to the land of milk and honey? Not a chance. I would even take Nintendo's* utterly mediocre efforts in the post DS world before I contemplate that future.

*that might be a bit unfair. I never actually got into Nintendo handhelds for Nintendo games (other than Advance Wars and Starfy, both of which are basically stone dead for a decade now, I would not care if any had stopped with the gameboy). When they lost the third parties on the 3ds (seemingly to IOS and then Android) then everything went meh.

10. DarkCrudus

DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    So what I'm gathering is people want their controllers connected to their console because having it separate and having to pair it is too inconvenient and you might lose it...

Oh Wait.

Stealphie likes this.
  11. MetoMeto

Japan
    Ha. ha. ha.

Phone is not a home "console" it's a handheld "console" and should have a built-in
    controller as such imo.

Last edited by MetoMeto, Oct 20, 2020
  12. DarkCrudus

DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    I mean. The controls are literally "built in"

13. MetoMeto

Japan
    what do you mean?

14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    That's a terrible take. I'd rather they look at the Switch and try to give us an experience similar to that. Razer is close with the Kishi controller, as is GameSir... Phones like the Moqi i7 are cool and all, but the built in controls make for an unnecessarily bulky experience.

It's weird that we can't call phones consoles, but a glorified tablet can be considered a home console.

Aside from a limited OS, one has games in mind while the other can play games. There is no clear "line" here and the gatekeeping is becoming desperate.

Last edited by Memoir, Oct 20, 2020
  15. DarkCrudus

DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    Touch controls "built in" lolol

16. xatzimi

xatzimi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm intrigued but there really aren't many mobile games I want to play. Ports (of a limited number of games) and emulation are nice to have but I wouldn't consider them selling points.

That aside, I'm curious to know if the controllers work well with Xbox Game Pass streaming. That's something I can't do on the consoles I own, nor on PC for now

Last edited by xatzimi, Oct 20, 2020
    Scarlet likes this.
  17. Scarlet

OP Scarlet Pretty Pretty Princess
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I'll be sure to try that for the review. In all honesty I had no idea the Game Pass stuff was even out for Android yet!

18. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is such a niche device already, I wonder why they didn't try something more radical like the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Anyone willing to buy a dedicated gaming phone would probably prefer physical controls, and clearly wouldn't care about aesthetics (evidenced by this monstrosity Red Magic is calling a phone)

19. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Imagine having to pair a touchscreen with a phone.

DarkCrudus likes this.
  20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Never had to calibrate a screen?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - gaming, Hands, first