Hacking RawkSD

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still can't believe this hasn't been released yet... Just saying.
yaywii.gif

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
titiln said:
maybe they'll release it because of your post

Haha very funny. I am patient, I really don't care how long it takes, just saying. =)
Wow I put "just saying" at the end of my last 2 posts....

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crwys said:
Wow I put "just saying" at the end of my last 2 posts....
i feel like pressing the 'add reply' button should provide both the proof and validation you require, therefore obviating the need for the superfluous 'just saying.'

ya know?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ourewaeller said:
But while playing the songs, I realized that many of them sound as if the audio compression during the import was too high. The songs sound sort of mechanic, with a lot of clipping, and way too many high frequencies (like mp3 songs with a bit rate of 64kBit or even less).

Is there a way to tell RawkSD to use less compression when importing from GH (e.g. via a config file or something alike)? Or did I simply do something wrong? Has anyone else suffered from the same problem?The audio re-encoding is, or was, a little screwy when handling Guitar Hero imports (since the audio format is different from Rock Band's, everything has to be transcoded). First off, make sure you have the fixed version of the RawkAudio.dll file in your RawkSD folder, as this fixes broken GH2 imports and should improve audio quality for the GH games (IIRC, this fixed DLL requires a core2 processor). The audio bugs should also be ironed out in the next RawkSD release.

QUOTE(crwys @ Mar 1 2010, 04:03 PM) Haha very funny. I am patient, I really don't care how long it takes, just saying. =)
If you were genuinely patient you probably wouldn't have bumped the thread and dropped hints that you're tired of waiting, just saying.

Ozzy1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Ourewaeller said:
But while playing the songs, I realized that many of them sound as if the audio compression during the import was too high. The songs sound sort of mechanic, with a lot of clipping, and way too many high frequencies (like mp3 songs with a bit rate of 64kBit or even less).

Is there a way to tell RawkSD to use less compression when importing from GH (e.g. via a config file or something alike)? Or did I simply do something wrong? Has anyone else suffered from the same problem?The audio re-encoding is, or was, a little screwy when handling Guitar Hero imports (since the audio format is different from Rock Band's, everything has to be transcoded). First off, make sure you have the fixed version of the RawkAudio.dll file in your RawkSD folder, as this fixes broken GH2 imports and should improve audio quality for the GH games (IIRC, this fixed DLL requires a core2 processor). The audio bugs should also be ironed out in the next RawkSD release.

QUOTE(crwys @ Mar 1 2010, 04:03 PM) Haha very funny. I am patient, I really don't care how long it takes, just saying. =)
If you were genuinely patient you probably wouldn't have bumped the thread and dropped hints that you're tired of waiting, just saying.

HAHAHAHA I'm not patient and do care how long it takes... but it doesn't matter either way as my time is not of importance... and shouldn't be... hahahahaha

spiderjjr45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would really like to know what's up with my installer. I ripped songs from GHWT onto the SD card, copied it over using RawkSD, and put it in my wii. But when the RawkSD installer starts to install the customs, it has an error. I HAVE patched.

Ourewaeller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Ourewaeller said:

Is there a way to tell RawkSD to use less compression when importing from GH (e.g. via a config file or something alike)? Or did I simply do something wrong? Has anyone else suffered from the same problem?
The audio re-encoding is, or was, a little screwy when handling Guitar Hero imports (since the audio format is different from Rock Band's, everything has to be transcoded). First off, make sure you have the fixed version of the RawkAudio.dll file in your RawkSD folder, as this fixes broken GH2 imports and should improve audio quality for the GH games (IIRC, this fixed DLL requires a core2 processor). The audio bugs should also be ironed out in the next RawkSD release.

Thank you very much for providing the updated DLL. I re-encoded a couple of my GH3 songs, and the quality improved dramatically. There is still some clipping, but far less then before. I can not wait to get next RawkSD release in order to remove those glitches as well.

Once again many thanks for your support, and keep up the good work. This is really one of the best HB applications around.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
crwys said:
Haha very funny. I am patient, I really don't care how long it takes, just saying. =)
I didn't bump the thread, at least I didn't intentionally bump it. And that wasn't a hint that I was tired of waiting, I was making a simple statement, how you take it is up to you. And I know that I am "genuinely" patient, whether you believe me or not, well I don't care. =P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
First of all: I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I've got that "your customs are out of date" error. From the FAQ:

QUOTE said:
Why does Rock Band 2 say my customs are "Out of Date"?

If you're playing Rock Band 2 through a backup loader, the cIOS you are using is incompatible with Rock Band 2 DLC, and therefore RawkSD.
I admit it: I run Rock Band 2 (just as pretty much everything else) through configurable USB loader. However...not as a backup: cfg has an option to boot whatever disc is in the drive. So I figured this would be a shortcut to booting games in just the same way as booting from the wii menu.

My wii menu itself refused to boot rock band 2 at first (alongside any other disc). It was only after stopping all priiloader system hacks that I was able to boot it. However...that caused it to prompt the disc's update thingumy. But before I go ahead and agree on updating anything, I would like to know a couple things:

1. Is the update on the game safe to perform? In fact: what changes DOES that disc update actually make?
2. I tried the rawkSDPatch homebrew (the PAL one), but it didn't work. Should this be performed after the disc update does whatever it does?
3. Once all is fixed an in order...do I have to remake the now-out-of-date customs, or will they be fine?
4. I've got a wireless connection at home that is disabled most of the time. That causes the game to complain about not being able to find an internet connection. But is that in any way a problem to playing the customs itself?
5. (this may be off-topic here) is there any way to tell configurable usb loader to load the disc without using any cIOS'es? In other words: is it possible to use the legitimate disc in combination with cfg's boot loading capabilities?

That's about all I can think of right now. Thanks in for any replies or helpful links it may bring.
smile.gif

(no, I haven't read the entire thread...it's a bit too long for that).

NOTE: I'm on 4.2E firmware, got legitimate PAL versions of both Rock band 2 and GHWT (I want to import songs of the latter game). I also got a whole bunch of cIOS'es on my system I'd rather not lose.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nublet says: Run it through GeckoOS and see what it wants. If it wants IOS37, you're clear. If it wants something else, well, make sure you get confirmation from someone else that it's safe.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
First of all: I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I've got that "your customs are out of date" error. From the FAQ:

QUOTE said:
Why does Rock Band 2 say my customs are "Out of Date"?

If you're playing Rock Band 2 through a backup loader, the cIOS you are using is incompatible with Rock Band 2 DLC, and therefore RawkSD.
I admit it: I run Rock Band 2 (just as pretty much everything else) through configurable USB loader. However...not as a backup: cfg has an option to boot whatever disc is in the drive. So I figured this would be a shortcut to booting games in just the same way as booting from the wii menu.

My wii menu itself refused to boot rock band 2 at first (alongside any other disc). It was only after stopping all priiloader system hacks that I was able to boot it. However...that caused it to prompt the disc's update thingumy. But before I go ahead and agree on updating anything, I would like to know a couple things:

1. Is the update on the game safe to perform? In fact: what changes DOES that disc update actually make?
2. I tried the rawkSDPatch homebrew (the PAL one), but it didn't work. Should this be performed after the disc update does whatever it does?
3. Once all is fixed an in order...do I have to remake the now-out-of-date customs, or will they be fine?
4. I've got a wireless connection at home that is disabled most of the time. That causes the game to complain about not being able to find an internet connection. But is that in any way a problem to playing the customs itself?
5. (this may be off-topic here) is there any way to tell configurable usb loader to load the disc without using any cIOS'es? In other words: is it possible to use the legitimate disc in combination with cfg's boot loading capabilities?

That's about all I can think of right now. Thanks in for any replies or helpful links it may bring.
smile.gif

(no, I haven't read the entire thread...it's a bit too long for that).

NOTE: I'm on 4.2E firmware, got legitimate PAL versions of both Rock band 2 and GHWT (I want to import songs of the latter game). I also got a whole bunch of cIOS'es on my system I'd rather not lose.
1. I know RB2 NTSC has SM 3.1U and several IOSes as well as an early version of IOS37, which is what it depends on. It's likely found some system channel or obscure IOS that you're missing or haven't updated. You'd *probably* be safe updating, but it'd be easier to Priiloader-block update messages.
2. The patcher requires a wifi connection. Aside from that I personally don't know any of its requirements.
3. Nope, the customs themselves are fine.
4. Nope, won't affect the customs. You can play them offline as if they were DLC you bought earlier. Also, I generally delete my connection settings if my network is disabled, since the timeout length for RB2's network check is ridiculously long.
5. cfg doesn't do this that I know of. I load discs from the disc channel, and even with a few Priiloader hacks (such as Block Disc Updates) with no consequences on the game or customs. Your original problem is likely just from loading the game through a cIOS.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1. I see. Hmm...I'm mostly on a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" base. That means that the ©IOS'es I use are up to date, and the others...well, I guess there are a few that just hang around in my system memory (never bothered with cioscorp, for example). I'll give this some thought, but priiloader hacks were what caused the system menu to act weird in the first place, so that's not going to happen (not that it matters that much...I've got bootmii as boot2, and just made a backup two or three days ago).
2. true. I forgot to mention that I also ran it with wifi-connection (it gave 'installation failed' or something).
3 & 4. Thanks. I'm also thinking of deleting the wii connection settings, 'cuz it's indeed a bit too long.
5. ok. I guess I'll go the long route, then.
smile.gif
(I have it configured to boot directly into CFG...I guess a bit of a detour doesn't hurt).

Thanks for the reply.
yaywii.gif

EDIT: hmm...still can't get things working correctly. The update from the disc turned out okay. At least, it didn't caused any harm. And by disabling all the priiloader hacks, my system is pretty much as it was when it was new. However...even though I now load the game from the wii loading menu, it still gives that "out of date" error.

Though probably riskier than it should, I tried the NTSC-version of the rawkSDpatcher. That one seemed to do its thing without error.

Alas...it didn't make the error go away either.
unsure.gif

Right now, the only idea I can come up with is that I must have replaced the IOS rock band 2 uses by default with a cIOS somewhere in the past. I ran DOP-IOS, and that told me that IOS37 is the one used by music games, and that the version I've got installed is 653553...well, that maxed out number (I forgot which one, exactly).
It may be a long shot, but...if I replace that one by the last original one (not counting stubs)...would that make the DLC work?

(please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone...this is delicate sh**, and I'm talking hypothesises here).

EDIT 2 (a day later): SUCCESS!!!
biggrin.gif

Turns out my long shot guess was indeed what caused things to go messy. I had IOS37 "v65535" installed, and used DOP-Mii to change that to v5661 (including Trucha, ES_Identify and NAND permissions...not that the latter two options matter, but anyway...).

As pointed out, the customs itself didn't have to change, and the internet connection wasn't needed. Unfortunate enough, it's still required to start the game from the disc channel. The game loads and plays from CFG's disk loader, but that causes the error to pop up again (I'll have to check out the options within that loader).

In any case: YAY! This - quite literally - ROCKS!!!
yaywii.gif

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I had the "Out of Date" error, even with legit DLC, the reason (after much annoyance) that I discovered was that I have preloader reloading cIOS249 for the system menu. This meant nothing used the right IOS, especially RB2, so every time, it wouldn't see the SD DLC, and then when you redownload the songs, it would try to copy to the SD (although it didn't really) then it would fill up the Wii NAND. IOS reload=BAD.

Weird problems.

Love RAWKSD. Super excited about RAWKSD 3.0!!!!

Cheers

Wever said:
1. I see. Hmm...I'm mostly on a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" base. That means that the ©IOS'es I use are up to date, and the others...well, I guess there are a few that just hang around in my system memory (never bothered with cioscorp, for example). I'll give this some thought, but priiloader hacks were what caused the system menu to act weird in the first place, so that's not going to happen (not that it matters that much...I've got bootmii as boot2, and just made a backup two or three days ago).
2. true. I forgot to mention that I also ran it with wifi-connection (it gave 'installation failed' or something).
3 & 4. Thanks. I'm also thinking of deleting the wii connection settings, 'cuz it's indeed a bit too long.
5. ok. I guess I'll go the long route, then.
smile.gif
(I have it configured to boot directly into CFG...I guess a bit of a detour doesn't hurt).

Thanks for the reply.
yaywii.gif

EDIT: hmm...still can't get things working correctly. The update from the disc turned out okay. At least, it didn't caused any harm. And by disabling all the priiloader hacks, my system is pretty much as it was when it was new. However...even though I now load the game from the wii loading menu, it still gives that "out of date" error.

Though probably riskier than it should, I tried the NTSC-version of the rawkSDpatcher. That one seemed to do its thing without error.

Alas...it didn't make the error go away either.
unsure.gif

Right now, the only idea I can come up with is that I must have replaced the IOS rock band 2 uses by default with a cIOS somewhere in the past. I ran DOP-IOS, and that told me that IOS37 is the one used by music games, and that the version I've got installed is 653553...well, that maxed out number (I forgot which one, exactly).
It may be a long shot, but...if I replace that one by the last original one (not counting stubs)...would that make the DLC work?

(please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone...this is delicate sh**, and I'm talking hypothesises here).

biggrin.gif

Turns out my long shot guess was indeed what caused things to go messy. I had IOS37 "v65535" installed, and used DOP-Mii to change that to v5661 (including Trucha, ES_Identify and NAND permissions...not that the latter two options matter, but anyway...).

As pointed out, the customs itself didn't have to change, and the internet connection wasn't needed. Unfortunate enough, it's still required to start the game from the disc channel. The game loads and plays from CFG's disk loader, but that causes the error to pop up again (I'll have to check out the options within that loader).

yaywii.gif

yaozer

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
biggrin.gif

yaywii.gif

To Wever: I'm a new guy here. I am also experiencing the "out of date" error (but everything in the music store are marked "purchased", and that I can download them and play them). The "out of date" error only shows when I use the songs that came out of Hairy Ballasagna's PC Tools. I would love to be able to use Hairy's output so I don't need to download the songs one by one. Upon reading your post here, I also tried DOP-Mii, and found out that my IOS37 is at v65535 too. I have some questions:

1) What does it really mean to have an IOS version of v65535? Is it really installed or is this just a "placeholder" version? Or did they make it real high so the game itself would just accept and use it since it is the higher version of the two?
2) I tried navigating around DOP-Mii and saw the option to install IOS36 w/ Fakesigning. How did you install the IOS37 v5661 using DOP-Mii?

Thanks for your time.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
For the millionth time, DLC piracy has nothing to do with RawkSD, stop talking about it here and congesting the thread.
correct, it for playing our bad ass system of a down and mars volta customs
biggrin.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yaozer said:
To Wever: I'm a new guy here. I am also experiencing the "out of date" error (but everything in the music store are marked "purchased", and that I can download them and play them). The "out of date" error only shows when I use the songs that came out of Hairy Ballasagna's PC Tools. I would love to be able to use Hairy's output so I don't need to download the songs one by one. Upon reading your post here, I also tried DOP-Mii, and found out that my IOS37 is at v65535 too. I have some questions:

1) What does it really mean to have an IOS version of v65535? Is it really installed or is this just a "placeholder" version? Or did they make it real high so the game itself would just accept and use it since it is the higher version of the two?
2) I tried navigating around DOP-Mii and saw the option to install IOS36 w/ Fakesigning. How did you install the IOS37 v5661 using DOP-Mii?

Thanks for your time.
You say the songs 'only' give an error if you used the piracy hack. Do you mean that other customs (legally downloaded and/or imported ones) play fine? I can't say anything about DLC hacking, though (unless you count importing from guitar hero as DLC hacking).

As for your questions:

1) The IOS is certainly installed. It must be...if it was a placeholder, the game wouldn't start to begin with. However, nintendo doesn't sign original IOS'es with that number, which makes the only logical explanation that it is replaced with a cIOS somewhere (the high number is to prevent a firmware-update from overwriting it).
2) I used DOP-Mii, yes. I just clicked okay and answered yes to the questions (only the trucha one should matter). Of course an internet connection is needed, and since it's about changing an IOS, I'd take precautions (have bootmii and priiloader installed, and a nand backup from not too long ago). But if all goes well, it should be a breeze.
smile.gif

yaozer

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
You say the songs 'only' give an error if you used the piracy hack. Do you mean that other customs (legally downloaded and/or imported ones) play fine? I can't say anything about DLC hacking, though (unless you count importing from guitar hero as DLC hacking).

As for your questions:

1) The IOS is certainly installed. It must be...if it was a placeholder, the game wouldn't start to begin with. However, nintendo doesn't sign original IOS'es with that number, which makes the only logical explanation that it is replaced with a cIOS somewhere (the high number is to prevent a firmware-update from overwriting it).
2) I used DOP-Mii, yes. I just clicked okay and answered yes to the questions (only the trucha one should matter). Of course an internet connection is needed, and since it's about changing an IOS, I'd take precautions (have bootmii and priiloader installed, and a nand backup from not too long ago). But if all goes well, it should be a breeze.
smile.gif

Wever: If I use the downloads from the in-game music store, it plays fine, if I use Hairy's output or any of the DLC customs from RawkSD, it doesn't. Thank you very much for the explanation, I will try this and see if it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...