Rate the Mario role-playing games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Gamer, Jan 8, 2009.

Jan 8, 2009
  1. Gamer
    OP

Member Gamer DS Gamer

Mexico
    So, I was thinking in replaying a turn-based Mario role-playing game while waiting for M&L 3 ^^ And was debating with my brother which one was the best in series.

I'm not counting Super Paper Mario (Wii), because it was more like an Platform/Action/RPG for me, and I would like to evaluate only the turn-based ones. This is my opinion:

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES). The most traditional one, and for me, the best in the RPG series. You know, it wasn't only because Square made it, but has great music, nice story and a bunch of great characters. It was some kind of hard, so it has a good challenge and it's lengthy. Hope we see a remake for DS with extras (like CT) someday.

2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN). This one was a great improvement over Paper Mario 1. Nice music, graphics, characters and better story than the first one. It was also very lengthy and somewhat easy and linear, but for me that wasn't a bad thing.

3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA). This and the 4th place were a bit hard to rate, but I think Mario & Luigi 1 was better than Paper Mario 1 because IMO: has a bit better story, somekind sticky music and a final Boss that it's not Bowser. You know, Paper Mario 1 wasn't bad, but didn't like a lot the story and the lengthy/somekind boring places to explore. That didn't happen with Paper Mario 2 for me.

4. Paper Mario (N64). OK, like I said, it wasn't bad. It has lovely graphics (for the N64), more characters and it was lengthy, but didn't like the story a lot. Anyway, like I said, this was hard to rate.

5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS). A disappointment. You know, It WASN'T THAT BAD, but definitely has forgettable story and music. The baby mario/luigi were more a gimmick for me. I think about it more like an expansion to the first Mario & Luigi. I have high hopes on third though.

So, what do you think??

2. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I only played a short bit of the first Super Mario RPG (save deleted [​IMG] ), and I'm playing Mario & Luigi for the DS. It's not bad, but it's nothing memorable, and the babies are an annoying gimmick, yes.

3. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Agreed, I found the first Mario and Luigi for GBA to be better than the DS, Never played the Super Mario RPG though...

4. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Super Mario RPG is the best by far of the lot if you really want an honest RPG. The handheld M&L games are very nice too, but not quite as good as they semi-rely on weird timed shots to increase damage. Both the Paper Mario games need to be used by a hacker to wipe the memory and store another game on them, all the while using the manuals for toilet paper and the boxes for storage of something of value. Paper Mario titles are awful mockeries of RPGs where you can't really level up as the game won't allow it and it requires to have precision timing to do enough damage to matter, and to be able to defend or you'll die due to piss poor HP you've given.

5. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    Superstar Saga > Partners in time [​IMG]

6. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    There all amazing. Period.....

Paper Mario TTYD was my fav though.

7. Rod

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I was about to say you've completely ripped off GaussTek's thread at Neogaf, but since your post is EXACTLY like the one there, I'm bound to believe you're the same person. D:

1. Super Mario RPG (Snes)
    2. Paper Mario (N64)
    3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
    4. -------
    5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

I've yet to play TTYD, never found it around here. I'm about to borrow a Wii for some time, and that's probably the first game I'll play in it.
    Love the other 3 games to death, and finished them countless times. Must have beaten SSS 4 or 5 times, Paper Mario at least 6 or 7, SMRPG is well over 10. Partners in Time was a chore, though: finished it once, don't think I'll ever play it again. =|

8. Gamer
    OP

Member Gamer DS Gamer

Mexico
    Yeah, I posted there too since there aren't many users checking this sub-forum and saw more opinions there. But I'm the same person [​IMG]

9. DrYHeLL

Member DrYHeLL GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Personally I couldn't handle any but Super Paper Mario which isn't even being accounted for. Mario in an RPG just doesn't sit right with me....

Or maybe it's that I dont like RPGs all that much...

10. davedeluxe

Member davedeluxe GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    clearly... super mario rpg is my favorite

11. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    ML:SS is my favourite mario game ever

12. ArchangelX

Banned ArchangelX Banned

United States
    Super Mario RPG, hands down.

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i don't like the mario rpgs, paper mario on the wii was ok though as i like action based rpgs anyway.

14. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I've only played 4 of them, so this is the only ranking I can give:

1: Mario RPG SNES (probably my favorite game of all time)
    2: Paper Mario N64
    3: M&L SSS GBA
    4: M&L PIT DS

I really want Paper Mario TTYD, but I don't have a Cube or Wii...