DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
So, I was thinking in replaying a turn-based Mario role-playing game while waiting for M&L 3 ^^ And was debating with my brother which one was the best in series.

I'm not counting Super Paper Mario (Wii), because it was more like an Platform/Action/RPG for me, and I would like to evaluate only the turn-based ones. This is my opinion:

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES). The most traditional one, and for me, the best in the RPG series. You know, it wasn't only because Square made it, but has great music, nice story and a bunch of great characters. It was some kind of hard, so it has a good challenge and it's lengthy. Hope we see a remake for DS with extras (like CT) someday.

2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN). This one was a great improvement over Paper Mario 1. Nice music, graphics, characters and better story than the first one. It was also very lengthy and somewhat easy and linear, but for me that wasn't a bad thing.

3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA). This and the 4th place were a bit hard to rate, but I think Mario & Luigi 1 was better than Paper Mario 1 because IMO: has a bit better story, somekind sticky music and a final Boss that it's not Bowser. You know, Paper Mario 1 wasn't bad, but didn't like a lot the story and the lengthy/somekind boring places to explore. That didn't happen with Paper Mario 2 for me.

4. Paper Mario (N64). OK, like I said, it wasn't bad. It has lovely graphics (for the N64), more characters and it was lengthy, but didn't like the story a lot. Anyway, like I said, this was hard to rate.

5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS). A disappointment. You know, It WASN'T THAT BAD, but definitely has forgettable story and music. The baby mario/luigi were more a gimmick for me. I think about it more like an expansion to the first Mario & Luigi. I have high hopes on third though.

So, what do you think??

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I only played a short bit of the first Super Mario RPG (save deleted
frown.gif
), and I'm playing Mario & Luigi for the DS. It's not bad, but it's nothing memorable, and the babies are an annoying gimmick, yes.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario RPG is the best by far of the lot if you really want an honest RPG. The handheld M&L games are very nice too, but not quite as good as they semi-rely on weird timed shots to increase damage. Both the Paper Mario games need to be used by a hacker to wipe the memory and store another game on them, all the while using the manuals for toilet paper and the boxes for storage of something of value. Paper Mario titles are awful mockeries of RPGs where you can't really level up as the game won't allow it and it requires to have precision timing to do enough damage to matter, and to be able to defend or you'll die due to piss poor HP you've given.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I was about to say you've completely ripped off GaussTek's thread at Neogaf, but since your post is EXACTLY like the one there, I'm bound to believe you're the same person. D:

1. Super Mario RPG (Snes)
2. Paper Mario (N64)
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
4. -------
5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

I've yet to play TTYD, never found it around here. I'm about to borrow a Wii for some time, and that's probably the first game I'll play in it.
Love the other 3 games to death, and finished them countless times. Must have beaten SSS 4 or 5 times, Paper Mario at least 6 or 7, SMRPG is well over 10. Partners in Time was a chore, though: finished it once, don't think I'll ever play it again. =|

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Rod said:
I was about to say you've completely ripped off GaussTek's thread at Neogaf, but since your post is EXACTLY like the one there, I'm bound to believe you're the same person. D:

1. Super Mario RPG (Snes)
2. Paper Mario (N64)
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
4. -------
5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

I've yet to play TTYD, never found it around here. I'm about to borrow a Wii for some time, and that's probably the first game I'll play in it.
Love the other 3 games to death, and finished them countless times. Must have beaten SSS 4 or 5 times, Paper Mario at least 6 or 7, SMRPG is well over 10. Partners in Time was a chore, though: finished it once, don't think I'll ever play it again. =|

Yeah, I posted there too since there aren't many users checking this sub-forum and saw more opinions there. But I'm the same person
biggrin.gif

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personally I couldn't handle any but Super Paper Mario which isn't even being accounted for. Mario in an RPG just doesn't sit right with me....

Or maybe it's that I dont like RPGs all that much...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only played 4 of them, so this is the only ranking I can give:

1: Mario RPG SNES (probably my favorite game of all time)
2: Paper Mario N64
3: M&L SSS GBA
4: M&L PIT DS

I really want Paper Mario TTYD, but I don't have a Cube or Wii...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free