Rainway developer shows off game streaming to the Nintendo Switch

tB6nVKT.png

Andrew Sampson, the developer behind the upcoming application "Rainway", has taken to Twitter to showcase how it works on the Nintendo Switch. Rainway is a game streaming app, that allows for a console's browser to receive connections from a host machine PC, and stream the games to the console via the internet. This is similar in function to other programs, like Moonlight, and Steam's own in-home streaming. Games shown were titles like Nier Automata, Witcher 3, and Undertale, all being smoothly streamed to the Switch.

Rainway is planned for release on November 25, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android. A Nintendo Switch version is scheduled for early 2018. Though the developer has intent to release this program for the Switch, it's not confirmed, nor known if Nintendo themselves would allow something like this onto the eShop. Stay tuned to GBAtemp for further updates.

:arrow: Developer's Twitter

ninjafrog658

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Andrew Sampson, the developer behind the upcoming application "Rainway", has taken to Twitter to showcase how it works on the Nintendo Switch. Rainway is a game streaming app, that allows for a console's browser to receive connections from a host machine PC, and stream the games to the console via the internet. This is similar in function to other programs, like Moonlight, and Steam's own in-home streaming. Games shown were titles like Nier Automata, Witcher 3, and Undertale, all being smoothly streamed to the Switch.

Rainway is planned for release on November 25, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android. A Nintendo Switch version is scheduled for early 2018. Though the developer has intent to release this program for the Switch, it's not confirmed, nor known if Nintendo themselves would allow something like this onto the eShop. Stay tuned to GBAtemp for further updates.

:arrow: Developer's Twitter
So how will it stream? Does it need NVIDIA, or proprietary software, or what? Because I'm hoping I can play PaRappa the Rapper 2 on iOS, lol

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done some streaming with a shield tv (so Wired), and even using TriDef (for streaming games in 3D) i could not notice lag. Now I'm not an FPS addict and those games are usually the most sensible to it.

If thats any indication to what the switch can do, its good. But people are gonna want it over wifi and that will add to the lag.

Last edited by deinonychus71,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I could have a good enough computer to be able to play nier automata on :'(
Anyways this looks awesome I cant wait to play AM2R on the switch

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Regarding the framerate, the dev addressed it on Reddit when someone mentioned it looks like 10fps:

"25 actually, there is a glitch on the Switch's hardware decoder that seems to be dropping frames. I can't do anything about it since its outside of my software. I'm sure they will patch it themselves."

He later replied that he's reported it to Nintendo.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Input lag? I thought we talking about FPS?
FPS result is the same as the host machine, at least on Shield TV. Via @specht, the hardware decoder in Switch apparently is glitched, but I'd assume it's the same one in Shield TV, so it should be fixable.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is interesting especially it's on a multiple platform. This would work well on the new iPad 2017 which has 120hz. I'd love to see someone review that paired with a controller for xbox or ds4 or ds3.

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
The number of copies the game sold beg to differ.
And this isn't just me saying it since I'm a fan of the game and where it came from, but the fact that many people who criticize it never played, same goes with Minecraft.
And by playing I don't mean a 5 minute session but a full in-depth hour.
I respect what you are saying... I thought minecraft was for children until I downloaded it on my kindle and it was fun to build anything I wanted... also I'm going to try undertale despite what appears to be another weird fanbase to be a part of... (this coming from being in the dark, shady and, "weird" parts of the pokemon fanbase) undertale sounds like a good game from what my girlfriend and my buds in high school had said about the game as a whole...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is amazing! NieR looks pretty smooth * o * Now I don't have to be strapped down to my room, I can roam around haha
yeah... can't wait to play danganronpa on the crapper lol

I hope the lag doesn't end up so poor that streaming isn't even worth it. There have been quite a few instances where I've wished for a device to stream my PC games, but I'm very sensitive to lag. I don't know anything about the streaming process, but is it a pipe-dream to ask for at least <90ms of lag?
i have a crappy cable company router so streaming is not worth anything to me at this point...

Reactions: Yepi69

FierceDeityLinkMask

GbaTemp's Official Deity
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Am Hyped. This is still in early testing and won't be anywhere near done ti'll early 2018. Given all the details, the fact that the games are looking as smooth as they are is nothing short of amazing. The Rainway Dev(s) deserve so much praise. He also had this too say on twitter, ("Interesting fact about the Switch hardware, it is capable of streaming 4k content at 60FPS and 1080P content at 120FPS. Capped framerates.") so we know that the streaming won't really be limited by the hardware of the switch. I wish people could enjoy a very early showing for what it is, A preview of things too come.

Reactions: DarkRioru

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo is too traditional for something like this. they probably will block it because it may cause decline of their game sales :P
unless it's shitty enough that unless you are desperate for a game you will buy it on the switch ;P

also, one thing I forgot to mention, if this does come out it means we could have piracy on switch before you can pirate switch games, you dam dirty pirates can just pirate games on your pc and stream them to switch

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
nintendo is too traditional for something like this. they probably will block it because it may cause decline of their game sales :P
and that is why people need to download this as soon as possible... but, seriously... nobody is going to use this unless the people who download this know their pc and bandwidth can support streaming...

unless it's shitty enough that unless you are desperate for a game you will buy it on the switch ;P

also, one thing I forgot to mention, if this does come out it means we could have piracy on switch before you can pirate switch games, you dam dirty pirates can just pirate games on your pc and stream them to switch
well that involves making a switch emulator and somehow dumping the games so, the jailbreak for the switch will have to come out before you can get emulated games on pc...

FierceDeityLinkMask

GbaTemp's Official Deity
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine the HD rumble working on your... (other hidden) library of (unsavory 18+) games... VERY Unlikely in my opinion, but the rainway dev has said something about getting the joycons to work with this rainway app natively. We also know that other bluetooth controllers work for the switch and straight from the rainway FAQ, "You're able to remap controls for any device." The more I look into this the more I become hyped.

Last edited by FierceDeityLinkMask,

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Imagine the HD rumble working on your... (other hidden) library of (unsavory 18+) games... VERY Unlikely in my opinion, but the rainway dev has said something about getting the joycons to work with this rainway app natively. We also know that other bluetooth controllers work for the switch and straight from the rainway FAQ, "You're able to remap controls for any device." The more I look into this the more I become hyped.
this got me thinking... the n3ds browser runs on html (if I'm correct) will I be able to stream my pc game to my n3ds through its browser??

well senran kagura is coming to the switch with hd boob feeling support I mean, hd rumble support so anything is possible...

Last edited by DarkRioru,
Reactions: FierceDeityLinkMask

FierceDeityLinkMask

GbaTemp's Official Deity
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this got me thinking... the n3ds browser runs on html (if I'm correct) will I be able to stream my pc game to my n3ds through its browser??

That depends, if you're sleeping and think really hard about it then maybe in your dreams. Seriously though, I don't really think that's practical.
Even if it was, would you really want to play PC games on the 3DS?? I like the hand-held but I need my good graphics. Ya, I heard about the HD rumble boobs. That's where I got the idea.

Reactions: DarkRioru

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...