ROM Hack Ragnarok DS - English Translation Project

Manarofl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We really should fix the story line, half of it sounds rather... stupid when it;s in english, and it seems some lines have been shortened too just to make the text fit..

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Manarofl said:
We really should fix the story line, half of it sounds rather... stupid when it;s in english, and it seems some lines have been shortened too just to make the text fit..
You sure that's just not the bad story itself?

If you want to go through and re-work the script, be by guest.
While I'm not 100% sure, I believe you can add to parts of the story outside of the intro cinematics. Which should help with the story feeling rushed (or at lest less rushed than the official story is).
I think most of the translators have disappeared back into RealLife and haven't been spending much time on the project lately (cant blame them), so I would personally prefer having translations finished rather than re-written... but I'm not going to stop you -- honestly I thought about going through and lengthening the story myself, but I've been rather busy with other files.

Anubis

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Manarofl said:

>Implying that the game has a good Japanese story.

Oh you.

GrayFox2510

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
twiztidsinz said:
If you want to go through and re-work the script, be by guest.
While I'm not 100% sure, I believe you can add to parts of the story outside of the intro cinematics. Which should help with the story feeling rushed (or at lest less rushed than the official story is).
I think most of the translators have disappeared back into RealLife and haven't been spending much time on the project lately (cant blame them), so I would personally prefer having translations finished rather than re-written... but I'm not going to stop you -- honestly I thought about going through and lengthening the story myself, but I've been rather busy with other files.

If you can really lengthen the storyline like that (well, the text, even) I could probably try to help extend or add more flavor to what is currently translated (of course, without going too far from what it originally is).

malodorous101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Manarofl said:
You sure that's just not the bad story itself?
I assure you that things haven't been nonsensically shortened, in fact many things had to be lengthened and localised to make sense in English. The story is terrible and almost not worth translating which is one of the reasons that the progress of the story translation is so slow. Another reason is that, as far as I can tell, there are only 2 of us working on the story translations.

gharuda

Trophies
XP
Country
hey!!! i have a problem getting to geffen i don`t know how to get there...my problem is i cannot read the japanese...in prontera west there is a NPC in south.. the dialgoue is written in japanese..

and also the quest CARD COLLECTOR

Thanks!! more power!

im using EDGE CART

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
twiztidsinz said:
Alizor said:
Hey fella, i've got a way to make a patch with 450kb.
If you want, I can upload it.
Care to explain how?

I think he's talking about the trimming bug.. if you trim a rom already on a cart (a "homebrew" game or a patched game) it gets trimmed to an unreal low size (like 400ish KB) but in fact it's not really trimmed and if you try to remove it from the cart or you try to put other games inside, they override the game and it doesn't work anymore.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Morgawr said:
twiztidsinz said:
Alizor said:
Care to explain how?
I think he's talking about the trimming bug.. if you trim a rom already on a cart (a "homebrew" game or a patched game) it gets trimmed to an unreal low size (like 400ish KB) but in fact it's not really trimmed and if you try to remove it from the cart or you try to put other games inside, they override the game and it doesn't work anymore.
Well... the Ragnarok DS Translation patch is unbelievably huge.
I think that it's actually the same size as the ROM itself is when compressed into an archive.
For example, DarthNemesis' Soma Bringer patch is only 517.8 KB.
However, using the same program (xdelta), the RODS is ~32MB and no matter which files I add / don't add, it's always roughly the same size making me think that xdelta is not taking the data that is different or that the game is recompiling 'oddly'... which might explain why I have a different GameID each time I make a build. I don't know, never did this sort of thing before.. should I have a different GameID each time I change something?

malodorous101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Morgawr said:
twiztidsinz said:
Alizor said:
Care to explain how?
I think that it's actually the same size as the ROM itself is when compressed into an archive.
However, using the same program (xdelta), the RODS is ~32MB and no matter which files I add / don't add, it's always roughly the same size making me think that xdelta is not taking the data that is different or that the game is recompiling 'oddly'... which might explain why I have a different GameID each time I make a build. I don't know, never did this sort of thing before.. should I have a different GameID each time I change something?
It's because when you repack the rom using ndstool it won't contain the 'dummy data'. So the xdelta patch contains the trimming information as well as the changes. You can get around it but it's not as quick as just running a batch file to generate a patch file.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
malodorous101 said:
twiztidsinz said:
Morgawr said:
twiztidsinz said:
Alizor said:
Care to explain how?
It's because when you repack the rom using ndstool it won't contain the 'dummy data'. So the xdelta patch contains the trimming information as well as the changes. You can get around it but it's not as quick as just running a batch file to generate a patch file.
If I recall correctly, even Darth said he couldn't get the patch to be smaller.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
twiztidsinz said:
There are three solutions to creating a smaller patch: Inserting all the translated files with NitroExplorer (Really tiring, I did it with the first patch back then), Using a DStool batch file that replaces all the translated file in the rom, there was a guy going by the name ringle93 if I remember correctly that posted such a batch file in the last topic, around the end of it. And last use a different patching utility, there are many patching utilities like bsdiff, rtpatch, Ninja, UPS and so on...
You choose.

malodorous101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Noitora said:
twiztidsinz said:
There are three solutions to creating a smaller patch: Inserting all the translated files with NitroExplorer (Really tiring, I did it with the first patch back then), Using a DStool batch file that replaces all the translated file in the rom, there was a guy going by the name ringle93 if I remember correctly that posted such a batch file in the last topic, around the end of it. And last use a different patching utility, there are many patching utilities like bsdiff, rtpatch, Ninja, UPS and so on...
You choose.
Out of the other patching utilities bsdiff is the only free one that offers a smaller file but it takes a lot more resources (time and memory). The other methods are reasonable, worth considering.

I am working on a tool at the moment that should produce a smaller patch but it won't be ready for a while.

Twiz check your PMs shortly.

Alizor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry for the delay...
anyway, malodorous is correct, because you unpack/pack, the progam automatically trim the rom. if you use the xdelta I think that blank space you be considered and make difference.
but I have a new version of the xdelta. I will test the patch and see if it is OK. If so, then I will upload and post here.

malodorous101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alizor said:
Sorry for the delay...
anyway, malodorous is correct, because you unpack/pack, the progam automatically trim the rom. if you use the xdelta I think that blank space you be considered and make difference.
but I have a new version of the xdelta. I will test the patch and see if it is OK. If so, then I will upload and post here.
xdelta3 seems to actually create slightly larger patches using the same source/target with the same flags. You can reduce the size by about 10% if you use secondary compression -S djw but it's not really that significant, unlike some of the methods Noitora mentioned which will save ~98%.

Alizor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright, so I did it. It worked the intro and should work entire the game as you translated.
http://www.filedropper.com/rag21-01

Note that this patch is the 21/01. twiz you should download it to take this progam and make a patch of the 25/01 version. I think that will be with 500kb.

To create a patch use this line command:

xdelta delta original_rom.nds new_rom.nds patch.delta

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo