CFShadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
twiztidsinz said:
Canonbeat234 said:
I don't want the project to be rush but IMO this should be first priority instead of the PSO for the DS since its coming out this year around winter of 2009. I can wait until that time comes you know.
Story is secondary to the game itself. Always has been, always will be.

I'm not sure who's on the PS0 translation project, but this team (as in the whole, not individual members) is not working on it.

Ahmm..I dont want to be a killerjoy or anything like that, but...Why story is secondary?? If you dont understand the story, you will be lost, which makes a lot of people give up playing the game. Also, people who are waiting for the translation must be the same who played Ragnarok Online once in life, which means that they can guess which items are in their menu. Elsewhere, they could look on the database =/ If i could choose, i would translation the story first, THEN i translate the menus and items. But, as i cannot help with the project, i cannot complain either. Good luck with the project, its very good so far^^
yaynds.gif

Anubis

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
CFShadow said:
twiztidsinz said:
Canonbeat234 said:
I don't want the project to be rush but IMO this should be first priority instead of the PSO for the DS since its coming out this year around winter of 2009. I can wait until that time comes you know.
Story is secondary to the game itself. Always has been, always will be.

I'm not sure who's on the PS0 translation project, but this team (as in the whole, not individual members) is not working on it.

Ahmm..I dont want to be a killerjoy or anything like that, but...Why story is secondary?? If you dont understand the story, you will be lost, which makes a lot of people give up playing the game. Also, people who are waiting for the translation must be the same who played Ragnarok Online once in life, which means that they can guess which items are in their menu. Elsewhere, they could look on the database =/ If i could choose, i would translation the story first, THEN i translate the menus and items. But, as i cannot help with the project, i cannot complain either. Good luck with the project, its very good so far^^
yaynds.gif

Seriously... If you're playing this game for the story you're better off quitting, because it's just terrible.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CFShadow said:
yaynds.gif

Well... here's the thing.
You can get more playability out of having the menu and other things translated and using a guide for the story than you can using the guide for the menu/items/etc and having the translated story.

QUOTE(Anubis @ Jan 14 2009, 01:57 PM) Seriously... If you're playing this game for the story you're better off quitting, because it's just terrible.
Yeah... Hate to say it but I agree with anubis.
When I started on this project, I basically wanted to stay away from the story and lend whatever help I could to the other half of the translation so that when the game was completed, I could play the game with as little information about the story as I could.
Eventually though, there was more work to be done on the translated story than on the other translated files so I hopped over there.
Going through parts of the story for the intro and first chapters gave me a taste of the story... its rather bland and not something that can be spiced up with a better translation.
The various chapter scripts are basically trash dialogue / filler / fluff that revolve around particular "story"-progressing quests.
Lucifi
Then, that must mean
it's around here

Lucifi
somewhere...

What do you mean,
'that must mean?'

Lucifi
Ah...

Lucifi...? Don't tell
me you forgot where

it was??

Lucifi
Hahaha.

Hey!

Lucifi
We, well... I said it
before, but the test is

Lucifi
for you to find it
yourselves.

Lucifi
Lo, look. I'm helping
you out so let's hurry

Lucifi
up and find the
Dogs Tag.

... Whatever.

Geez, an investigator who
forgets where it is...

Lucifi
These two show
promise...

Lucifi
Now, shall we begin...

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If someone can rip the images that need translating and send them to me, I'll start working on them.

Just to clarify, I'll be translating them only. Someone else will have to Photoshop the translated text into the images since I'm sh*t at image editing.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
If someone can rip the images that need translating and send them to me, I'll start working on them.

Just to clarify, I'll be translating them only. Someone else will have to Photoshop the translated text into the images since I'm sh*t at image editing.I can handle the photoshopping...
and the translation is done actually, it's on the GoogleDocs (along with what each base stats effects and how much).
I just don't know how to extract/repack them.

CODEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂATKÂÂÂÂÂÂ= STR+(STR/10) + DEX/5 + LUK/5
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDEFÂÂÂÂÂÂ= VIT/1
STRÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ M.ATKÂÂÂÂ= INT/1* + LUK/1
AGIÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ M.DEFÂÂÂÂ= INT/1
VITÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ HITÂÂÂÂÂÂ= DEX/1
INTÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ FleeÂÂÂÂ = AGI/1
DEXÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ CritÂÂÂÂ = LUK/3
LUKÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ASPDÂÂÂÂ = AGI/4 + DEX/12

*M.Atk gets a bonus from INT at odd levels
Initial testing shows: 1pt @ 7, 8, 14 || 4pts @ 12, 16, 20

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
twiztidsinz said:
CFShadow said:
yaynds.gif

Well... here's the thing.
You can get more playability out of having the menu and other things translated and using a guide for the story than you can using the guide for the menu/items/etc and having the translated story.

QUOTE(Anubis @ Jan 14 2009, 01:57 PM) Seriously... If you're playing this game for the story you're better off quitting, because it's just terrible.
Yeah... Hate to say it but I agree with anubis.
When I started on this project, I basically wanted to stay away from the story and lend whatever help I could to the other half of the translation so that when the game was completed, I could play the game with as little information about the story as I could.
Eventually though, there was more work to be done on the translated story than on the other translated files so I hopped over there.
Going through parts of the story for the intro and first chapters gave me a taste of the story... its rather bland and not something that can be spiced up with a better translation.
The various chapter scripts are basically trash dialogue / filler / fluff that revolve around particular "story"-progressing quests.
Lucifi
Then, that must mean
it's around here

Lucifi
somewhere...

What do you mean,
'that must mean?'

Lucifi
Ah...

Lucifi...? Don't tell
me you forgot where

it was??

Lucifi
Hahaha.

Hey!

Lucifi
We, well... I said it
before, but the test is

Lucifi
for you to find it
yourselves.

Lucifi
Lo, look. I'm helping
you out so let's hurry

Lucifi
up and find the
Dogs Tag.

... Whatever.

Geez, an investigator who
forgets where it is...

Lucifi
These two show
promise...

Lucifi
Now, shall we begin...

I did not read the spoiled story because I don't want to "ruin" my future playthrough of the game, however I agree with whoever said the story is "important" to play the game. And, in my point of view as a casual RPG gamer, in this case it's not because it has to be original or funny or adventuring or whatever feel most players need in a good RPG, but just to understand what the hell I'm doing in the game and why I'm doing so. I don't care if the main character dies, if he falls in love with a dead horse or whatever stuff those crazy japanese people can come up with, but I just want to understand if people ask me to finish a quest for them, or why that said girl is running away from two black hooded people... Stuff like that.

If you people don't want to bother with the script in a 100% translation, for me it's fine. I'm happy with just a menu-item-skill-job translation to play the game (hell, I'll take whatever you guys want to give me, since I'd be happy already
biggrin.gif
)... But actually, I just want to be able to play the game in a straight line (not feeling the need to wander like a lost soul in different towns just to find a random NPC which I don't even understand).

Would it be possible if a single person in the team tried to sum up the story (like in the quoted spoilers) and the dialogues and then put them into the game just as a "beta" or "incomplete" release so everyone else can focus on the menu-item-skill-job translation?
For me it's fine if it's something like this:
Character 1: We have to go because said we have to kill a !!
Character 2: Oh no! It's too difficult for us!
Character 3: Don't worry, I've got my sword of lightning!!
instead of a fully 100% translated:
Character 1: Okay people, I talked to the barman, he said we have to go north, through the wasteland of destruction and across the fields of eternal sorrow to find clues about the death of the barman's daughter's son's dog. Also there are lots of beast wandering around here, so we all have to be careful. Ready your weapons!
Character 2: Oh my God, I swore to my dead grandmother's grandmother, upon her grave, that I'd never wield a sword again. What do we do? I don't feel we'll be able to get out safe from here this time. I've got a bad feeling about this.
Character 3: Don't worry guys, when Character 1 was talking to the barman I went on a quest to find out my dad's brother's true identity and I found out it was my cousin (wtfux?). He's the overlord of destruction, death, sorrow and little ponies. After saving him from barbie and ken and their relatives he gifted me the bloody hellish soul of the Sword of Lightning of destruction of sorrow of your dead mother. We can do it.

Then, after translating everything and giving a brief storyline (the first one I made up) IF (only IF) the translators feel like it, they can try to fully 100% translate the script in an accurate manner.
But that may be just my opinion, maybe somebody doesn't want to play a badly (or just briefly) translated script... D:

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will not play until tutorial is translated (probably is but wasn't paying attention) but the people working on this project are doing a great job
wink2.gif

kedamono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well im stuck, i dont know if the game froze or if i just dont know what to do.
i just got the third character and i go out side of town and the the chars char in Japanese then i think im suppose to do something but im not sure what and tried almost everything i can think of, all i seem able to do is select the monster and the chars icon in the top left.

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
kedamono said:
i just got the third character and i go out side of town and the the chars char in Japanese then i think im suppose to do something but im not sure what and tried almost everything i can think of, all i seem able to do is select the monster and the chars icon in the top left.
You have to tap on the new acquired character (forgot the name... Lucifi??) which is a warrior-ish class (don't remember job names, I played it in jap zz -.-) and then tap on the slime, ordering the guy to attack it. It's just a part of the tutorial... A lot of people get stuck there because they don't understand what to do.. It happened to me as well, then I started tapping randomly on the screen and it worked XP

kedamono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Morgawr said:
kedamono said:
You have to tap on the new acquired character (forgot the name... Lucifi??) which is a warrior-ish class (don't remember job names, I played it in jap zz -.-) and then tap on the slime, ordering the guy to attack it. It's just a part of the tutorial... A lot of people get stuck there because they don't understand what to do.. It happened to me as well, then I started tapping randomly on the screen and it worked XP
Oh ok thank you very much.

CFShadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Morgawr said:
I did not read the spoiled story because I don't want to "ruin" my future playthrough of the game, however I agree with whoever said the story is "important" to play the game. And, in my point of view as a casual RPG gamer, in this case it's not because it has to be original or funny or adventuring or whatever feel most players need in a good RPG, but just to understand what the hell I'm doing in the game and why I'm doing so. I don't care if the main character dies, if he falls in love with a dead horse or whatever stuff those crazy japanese people can come up with, but I just want to understand if people ask me to finish a quest for them, or why that said girl is running away from two black hooded people... Stuff like that.

If you people don't want to bother with the script in a 100% translation, for me it's fine. I'm happy with just a menu-item-skill-job translation to play the game (hell, I'll take whatever you guys want to give me, since I'd be happy already
biggrin.gif
)... But actually, I just want to be able to play the game in a straight line (not feeling the need to wander like a lost soul in different towns just to find a random NPC which I don't even understand).

Would it be possible if a single person in the team tried to sum up the story (like in the quoted spoilers) and the dialogues and then put them into the game just as a "beta" or "incomplete" release so everyone else can focus on the menu-item-skill-job translation?
Character 1: Okay people, I talked to the barman, he said we have to go north, through the wasteland of destruction and across the fields of eternal sorrow to find clues about the death of the barman's daughter's son's dog. Also there are lots of beast wandering around here, so we all have to be careful. Ready your weapons!
Character 2: Oh my God, I swore to my dead grandmother's grandmother, upon her grave, that I'd never wield a sword again. What do we do? I don't feel we'll be able to get out safe from here this time. I've got a bad feeling about this.
Character 3: Don't worry guys, when Character 1 was talking to the barman I went on a quest to find out my dad's brother's true identity and I found out it was my cousin (wtfux?). He's the overlord of destruction, death, sorrow and little ponies. After saving him from barbie and ken and their relatives he gifted me the bloody hellish soul of the Sword of Lightning of destruction of sorrow of your dead mother. We can do it.

Then, after translating everything and giving a brief storyline (the first one I made up) IF (only IF) the translators feel like it, they can try to fully 100% translate the script in an accurate manner.
But that may be just my opinion, maybe somebody doesn't want to play a badly (or just briefly) translated script... D:

Thx...what i'm trying to say is...I really don't care (and i think no one else would) if the storyline is ridiculous or not. Without it, you get stuck everytime. Right now, i need to get items for Viserk, but which items?? Oh! The text is in jap, i DONT KNOW! -.- Storyline IS very important, principally in an RPG game..As he said, whats the point to wander around for 2 hours, then find one NPC which makes you think you finally found the "story", just to the NPC make you wander around for more 2 hours? -.- As i've been seeing, the menu is very well translated, why dont you just put some menu translations aside and start thinking more on the storyline? Its just a sugestion, you dont have to do it (also, i dont think you would as well...), but im saying that is going to be better and a lot of people would stop asking for you guys rush with the translation.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Morgawr said:
biggrin.gif

The problem is, this makes F A R more work for -US- to do this.
First, WE have to spend time going through the whole game or script or guide to get familiarized with and general idea of the story.
Then WE have to work up a good summary of the story, shrinking it down to fit within on the number of screens given.
Then WE have to edit the summary so that it fits the max character per line limit and won't crash the game.
Then WE (most likely me) have to compile the game, make a patch, upload it to you.
Then WE have to go back, translate the story properly (Our translators are focusing on translating, those who cannot read Japanese -like me- are editing the story to fit).
Then WE have to go back, edit the translations for proper grammar / line length / etc.
Then WE (most likely me) have to compile the game, make a patch, upload it to you.

Essentially, we end up doing twice as much work for those who are too lazy to go read a guide.

Morgawr said:
But that may be just my opinion, maybe somebody doesn't want to play a badly (or just briefly) translated script... D:The problem is, the game is very strict about the message windows.
We cannot add nor remove windows.
For example, the line:CODEAdventurer
... Don't worry!Adventurer
I used to be famous for
a reason.Adventurer
I'll hold them off for
a bit.Adventurer
They won't do me in.Will look like this:
Code:
Adventurer
... Don't worry!
-----New Screen-----
Adventurer
I used to be famous for
a reason.
-----New Screen-----
Adventurer
I'll hold them off for
a bit.
-----New Screen-----
Adventurer
They won't do me in.
This section has 3 tags, which means 4 screens (1+3). The tag signals the game for a new screen, however if we add another , which should give us 5 screens (1+4), the game will lock up as its not expecting the last tag.
We -COULD- break up the story to span multiple lines (the above example was one line), however we run into this not-so-friendly problem:
CODE
Girl
See you again...
Adventurer
Yeah, we'll definitely
meet again...
Guard
The girl has escaped!
Guard
Don't let them get away!
After them!
The first two lines (the Girl and the Adventurer) come towards the middle of the first part of the introduction while the last two come at the very beginning of the intro.
To confuse things more, those 4 lines are at the end of the file.
In short, there is very little order to the lines of the script.
It would be -INSANELY- difficult for us to re-write the scripts to give a summary of the story without translating what is in the script itself.
If we were to translate the script itself (Like we are doing.....), we might as well just translate the whole thing (Like we are doing.....) and have another person who cannot read Japanese edit and fix the line lengths (Like we are doing).

We -ARE- translating the script, no one said we weren't, it's just at a lower priority than the rest of the game.
And honestly, I think more people are working on the scripts than the game right now.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
darksun45230 said:
That sounds...tedious. If the story is terrible then I don't see why you guys should work on it. I mean I would be playing Soma Bringer if it wasn't for the...'story.'

They working on it because they want too, Darksun! Also Twiz, I never knew this takes a lot of effort and patience not only to translate the script but to make sure the sentence in kanji makes enough sense so it can be put into English. I'm not going to rush you guys since this already a huge project on your hands and I appreciate if you people STOP begging them about how long is it going to take?!

I can't imagine myself to be bother by ungrateful SOB's who doesn't realize this project is by fanbase and request alone. This game will be enjoyed by people who doesn't know Japanese and can finally enjoy the game first hand.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Canon
smile.gif

Canonbeat234 said:
They working on it because they want tooQUOTE(Canonbeat234 @ Jan 15 2009, 02:03 AM) This game will be enjoyed by people who doesn't know Japanese and can finally enjoy the game first hand.
What everyone should remember is, more than a few people on the team don't speak/read Japanese, so we're just as anxious as you guys are to get this project done.

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
darksun45230 said:
That sounds...tedious. If the story is terrible then I don't see why you guys should work on it. I mean I would be playing Soma Bringer if it wasn't for the...'story.'

They working on it because they want too, Darksun! Also Twiz, I never knew this takes a lot of effort and patience not only to translate the script but to make sure the sentence in kanji makes enough sense so it can be put into English. I'm not going to rush you guys since this already a huge project on your hands and I appreciate if you people STOP begging them about how long is it going to take?!

I can't imagine myself to be bother by ungrateful SOB's who doesn't realize this project is by fanbase and request alone. This game will be enjoyed by people who doesn't know Japanese and can finally enjoy the game first hand.

Seconded *again*.

Now get back to work!
Just kidding...
tongue.gif

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
twiztidsinz said:
Morgawr said:
biggrin.gif

The problem is, this makes F A R more work for -US- to do this.
First, WE have to spend time going through the whole game or script or guide to get familiarized with and general idea of the story.
Then WE have to work up a good summary of the story, shrinking it down to fit within on the number of screens given.
Then WE have to edit the summary so that it fits the max character per line limit and won't crash the game.
Then WE have to go back, translate the story properly (Our translators are focusing on translating, those who cannot read Japanese -like me- are editing the story to fit).
Then WE have to go back, edit the translations for proper grammar / line length / etc.

Essentially, we end up doing twice as much work for those who are too lazy to go read a guide.

Morgawr said:
But that may be just my opinion, maybe somebody doesn't want to play a badly (or just briefly) translated script... D:The problem is, the game is very strict about the message windows.
We cannot add nor remove windows.
For example, the line:CODEAdventurer
... Don't worry!Adventurer
I used to be famous for
a reason.Adventurer
I'll hold them off for
a bit.Adventurer
They won't do me in.Will look like this:
Code:
Adventurer
... Don't worry!
-----New Screen-----
Adventurer
I used to be famous for
a reason.
-----New Screen-----
Adventurer
I'll hold them off for
a bit.
-----New Screen-----
Adventurer
They won't do me in.
This section has 3 tags, which means 4 screens (1+3). The tag signals the game for a new screen, however if we add another , which should give us 5 screens (1+4), the game will lock up as its not expecting the last tag.
We -COULD- break up the story to span multiple lines (the above example was one line), however we run into this not-so-friendly problem:
CODE
Girl
See you again...
Adventurer
Yeah, we'll definitely
meet again...
Guard
The girl has escaped!
Guard
Don't let them get away!
After them!
The first two lines (the Girl and the Adventurer) come towards the middle of the first part of the introduction while the last two come at the very beginning of the intro.
To confuse things more, those 4 lines are at the end of the file.
In short, there is very little order to the lines of the script.
It would be -INSANELY- difficult for us to re-write the scripts to give a summary of the story without translating what is in the script itself.
If we were to translate the script itself (Like we are doing.....), we might as well just translate the whole thing (Like we are doing.....) and have another person who cannot read Japanese edit and fix the line lengths (Like we are doing).

We -ARE- translating the script, no one said we weren't, it's just at a lower priority than the rest of the game.
And honestly, I think more people are working on the scripts than the game right now.

I understand, don't worry. For me it's not a problem to wait for a little longer, I'm just happy I'll be able to play this game in English one day
tongue.gif

I was just asking a question/suggestion, if it's not possible it's fine for me
wink.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey twiz, just wanted to say "thanks" for all your hard work. I think because the end product that everyone sees is the English translation, they can see the work that the translators put into the game while they're playing it. But while playing the game, no one can see how much work you put into the project, which in my opinion, is much harder than the translators' job.

You're a bad-ass twiz, keep it up
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads