ROM Hack Ragnarok DS - English Translation Project

triften

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Save files are independent of the ROM and as far as I can tell, are compatible with each progressive version.
All you have to do is keep the save file the same name as your ROM.

Awesome. This is really good news. The Japanese naming is no big deal--compromises must be made until the English version comes out!
smile.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
poomsss0 said:
I dont know what to say but flledropper is wrost
Then don't use it... There are two places to get the current download (and the dev patch isn't on Filedropper).
Don't like it? Don't use it... it's not a hard concept.

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
Zaiga said:
Edit: I don't know if this has been said already.. as I'm to lazy to look through 56 pages. But changing the save file's name results in it not being able to be used. I found this out when I changed it on my Supercard. Simply changing it back will fix it.
.nds = .sav
They have to match exactly.

I know that the saves have to match, but the Supercard DS One always names the saves like R~~1.sav. On all of my other games, I could change the saves name to match the roms name and it would still work. All I am saying is that when I changed my Ragnarok save to matcht the roms name. It didn't work anymore.

Edit: Also, what's the difference with the normal patch and the dev patch? Besides the characters names.

malodorous101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I only have a couple of hours a week (if that) available to work on this project now. I will use this time to update and improve the NitroPE and Diafrog tools, hopefully by the end of next weekend NitroPE will have the functionality required for the new patches - that's one reason why there is a separate dev patch at the moment.

Are there any more translators willing to jump on board to help translate the dialog text?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The "dev patch" basically has a bunch of partially untested, major changes.

Typically, the patches up till now have just had the text files translated. Any issues caused by this would be simplistic to fix (just re-edit the text) so there was no real concern with putting them out as soon as we felt there was enough to warrant a patch.

Artlan has been busy over the past two weeks hacking away at some of the inner workings of the game, digging around in the ARM9 and Overlay and fonts and other goodies.
Originally, there was a bunch of crashes (Learning Process FTW!!!) that were slowly worked down to a handful of crashes... and then to just random crashes (I believe it's the same random crashes that people have been experiencing from the start of the translation project, where the game would crash seemingly at random and was extremely difficult to reproduce).

A few days before the dev patch was uploaded, all the crashes relating to the files were fixed.
I held off on uploading the new version for a few days for two reasons:
1). The patch was going to be a big one (~32MB) because I couldn't use Andy (malodorus)'s tool to pack all the files and I was hoping that Andy could squeeze in some time in to get it working so that a proper and smaller file could be made.
2). I wanted to further test the changes to make sure there wasn't anything overlooked in our initial testing.

For those unsure of which to get:
If you care about having the most "complete", newest and updated translation, get the dev patch.
If you care more about having fewer crashes and don't care for the story, grab the regular patch.

triften

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Is the current patch relatively stable? I mean, are a lot of people experiencing random black-screen freezing with the current patch? If not, it's probably my flashcart. I'm using an EZ-Flash Vi with 8GB Kingston microSDHC, and a number of DS games & DPG video have been locking up on me lately. I'm hoping this is just the buggy Vi firmware that is supposed to be updated soon.

Has anyone else here been playing Ragnarok on an EZ-Flash Vi? Is your experience like mine?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
triften said:
Question: Is the current patch relatively stable? I mean, are a lot of people experiencing random black-screen freezing with the current patch? If not, it's probably my flashcart. I'm using an EZ-Flash Vi with 8GB Kingston microSDHC, and a number of DS games & DPG video have been locking up on me lately. I'm hoping this is just the buggy Vi firmware that is supposed to be updated soon.

Has anyone else here been playing Ragnarok on an EZ-Flash Vi? Is your experience like mine?
I have been using the dev patch (exact one thats up there) for a few days now and haven't had a single issue.
Good for me.... bad for you. Hope they update the firmware soon.

triften

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
I have been using the dev patch (exact one thats up there) for a few days now and haven't had a single issue.
QUOTE(valyr @ Mar 2 2009, 12:45 PM) @ triften am using an ezv+ 1.90 ob8 an its fine for me

Thanks for the replies. This is probably an EZ-Flash Vi issue, as many other apps are freezing on me, too. Maybe I'll try the dev patch, but I doubt it will be any different. I'll report back my findings. And I'll keep praying for that Vi firmware update that will magically solve all of life's problems.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Just as a follow-up, I tried a different microSD card and the game hasn't frozen once. It is a problem with SDHC cards and the EZ-Flash Vi...

samuraipingu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wooot great job on the patch everyone who was involved in it no bugs so far as of where i am which is where i have to go to like mjolnir or something

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
War said:
I've been using an old patch from February (not dev) and it's been stable. Never had any random crash.Why you still using the old patch?
tongue.gif

You wanted the new one, quite adamantly:QUOTE(War @ Feb 27 2009, 12:54 AM) Psh, who cares if the ID changes? Oh BAAAAW, the poor little babies will have to spend 2 minutes using R4CCE to chane the GameID of the cheat codes. Big deal.

Updates > cheats

harjaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
triften said:

I've been playing on a DSTT using the dev patch for about 6 hours in-game and have beaten the GTB. I haven't had a single crash or freeze yet, although I needed a faq for untranslated chunks of the game, particularly after the GTB battle, since the cut scene that tells you where to go next is in Japanese. Otherwise, it's an amazing patch and I couldn't play the game without it.

For your card, have you tried using a different microSD or formatting the card and reinstalling/upgrading the firmware.

Also, I can't get the cheat codes to work, the max level or level exp codes o nothing, no matter when I press select. I have the newest database, so it's a bit weird. Anyone know how to fix it?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
harjaz said:
although I needed a faq for untranslated chunks of the game, particularly after the GTB battle, since the cut scene that tells you where to go next is in Japanese. Otherwise, it's an amazing patch and I couldn't play the game without it.Use the Quest Info menu. It should tell you what you need to do next.

QUOTE(harjaz @ Mar 3 2009, 05:48 PM) Also, I can't get the cheat codes to work, the max level or level exp codes o nothing, no matter when I press select. I have the newest database, so it's a bit weird. Anyone know how to fix it?
Rewrite the codes to match the new memory addresses due to translation.

RyuKisargi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I'm really liking this patch. I'm gonna hold off on playing RODS for a bit longer, since the rest of the game after a few hours'll be in Japanese from what I'm seeing here though.

Looking forward to the finished project.
smile.gif

shapeshifter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
I'm having doubts here, anybody who restarted the game can confirm whether the prontera culverts map (1st and 4th floor) is smooth or grainy?
dunno if I were just seeing things, but I have a memory of seeing it smooth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: @K3Nv2 looks neat, i would want one in the boonies