[WIP] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - True Love Edition Patch

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Silrae, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Silrae
    OP

Silrae GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    This is a patch for Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns that allows the player to romance any bachelor or bachelorette regardless of their gender!

I've been working on this hack for the past month or so since the game's US release, and although the hack isn't quite finished yet, I've tested it enough to be comfortable with releasing it. The majority of dialogue hasn't been changed yet, but I'm sifting through it all little by little.

Changelog:
    Changelog
    Download:
    v3.1.2

Installation:
    Luma LayeredFS:
    If you're using Luma as your CFW, then you're in luck! Luma has a built in LayeredFS feature, so you won't have to deal with NTR unless you want to!

To set up Luma LayeredFS:

1. Boot up your 3DS into Luma's configuration menu by holding the SELECT button.
    2. Turn on "Enable Game Patching"
    3. In the root of your SD card, there should already be a "luma" folder present (if not make a new one). Make a folder inside the "luma" folder named "titles".
    4. Inside the titles folder make another folder named after the TitleID of the game you are patching. Trio of Towns' TitleID is: 000400000019F500
    5. Inside the TitleID folder, make another folder named "romfs"
    6. From here all you need to do is download the patch (if you haven't already) and put the contents of the "SoSToT" folder into the the "romfs" folder.
    7. If you have the Hamtaro Restoration Patch move the "constdata.xbb" file from the "Hamtaro Patch Constdata" folder to the "romfs" folder, and overwrite. Otherwise, you're done!

NTR CFW:

If you have NTR already:

You probably know the drill; download the build you're going to be using and paste the SoSToT and plugin folders into the root of your SD card. If you have the Hamtaro Restoration Patch installed, move the "constdata.xbb" file from the "Hamtaro Patch Constdata" folder to the "SoSToT" folder, and overwrite.

If you don't have NTR:

1. Boot your 3ds in emunand and open FBI.
    2. Go to "QR Code Install" and the bottom of the menu.
    3. Go to BootNTR Selector's Gbatemp page on your web browser.
    4. Scan one of the first two QR Codes. The only difference between them is their banner.
    5. FBI will begin to install BootNTR Selector on your 3ds, wait for it to finish.
    6. If the QR code installer doesn't seem to be working for you, go to step 13.
    7. Once the BootNTR is installed go to your home menu and open the app.
    8. Follow its instructions.
    9. When you're done setting it up, you'll have NTR! Boot this up before loading the game to play with the patch.
    10. If you haven't already, download the patch and put the "SoSToT" and "plugin" folders in the root of your SD card.
    11. If you have the Hamtaro Restoration Patch installed, move the "constdata.xbb" file from the "Hamtaro Patch Constdata" folder to the "SoSToT" folder, and overwrite. Otherwise, skip this step.
    12. If everything worked well up to here, skip the rest of the steps.
    13. Download BootNTR Selector and put the cia in /CIA on your SD card.
    14. Boot your 3ds in emunand and open FBI (or any cia installer) to install BootNTR Selector.
    15. For FBI go to "SD Card" on the menu, then "CIA", select the BootNTR Selector CIA, press A, and "Install CIA".
    16. FBI will begin to install the CIA. Once finished, go back to step 7.

HANS:
    Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns doesn't seem to be compatible with Hans and there is no working method yet to get this patch without CFW.

If you're on firmware 11.3 or lower I highly recommend installing CFW using this guide.

How To Know The Patch Is Installed:
    If installed correctly, all of the bachelors and bachelorettes should have the flower showing their FP by their names. Talk to a candidate of the same gender of your farmer to check if the patch is working.

Last edited by Silrae, Aug 17, 2017
  2. Cleru

Cleru Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    Is it compatible with original saves?

3. Silrae
    OP

Silrae GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    I honestly haven't extensively tested on original saves yet, but so far it doesn't seem to corrupt any save data. I would keep a backup just in case.

Last edited by Silrae, Mar 28, 2017
  4. Cleru

Cleru Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    Alright, I'll try it out and report back on how it goes.

5. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    So it's like the Fire Emblem Fates/Awakening Same-Sex Marriage patch in a way? Neat.

Silrae likes this.
  6. x06xpower

x06xpower GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2016
    United States
    wow xD

7. Cleru

Cleru Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    Couldn't get the Hans patch to work, so I don't know if the original save works with that. But the plugin worked fine with my save.
    This is really awesome, thanks for the all the hard work you put into it.

Are you working on any other projects?

8. Silrae
    OP

Silrae GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Did you have problems with using Hans or did the patch not load with Hans? I'm glad its working with NTR, let me know if you run into any problems!

And thank you! I'm only working on this right now. Unfortunately, I was never able to figure out how to edit NPC data like I did here on other HM and SoS titles for 3ds.
    Sprite switches are possible, but editing the dialogue would be really tedious, so this'll probably be the only romhack I do.

9. djalmafreestyler

djalmafreestyler GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 31, 2011
    Brazil
    Good job! Developers should make this kind of games with Same-Sex Marriage option :)

Silrae likes this.
  10. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Don't you think that's a little sociopathic to demand the young, single people of these towns to be bisexual? Homosexuality is such a small percentage of the human population it would be rather surprising to find more than one person in these little towns.

Anyway, the game already allows the protagonist to change the model to male and female clothes (clothes change the body type). The only problem was that you're still referred to as your chosen sex despite running around with the opposite sex's model.

This patch is for people who want a seamless homosexual experience where they are identified as the pronouns they prefer and be able to marry the same sex.

How is child-bearing treated, though? Is it hacked so that children appear out of nowhere like with Inari? Are such events edited to refer to you as your respective sex?

11. Silrae
    OP

Silrae GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    I feel as if you're overreacting a bit. The characters are fictional, no one is demanding anything from them because they're not real lol. This hack is simply to widen the gameplay for people who would like to romance the characters without restrictions. I don't really think the amount of non-straight characters being realistic or not matters because it's a game, fictional you know?

To answer your questions: Yes events are being edited to fit the player's gender. No, the children won't pop out of nowhere, the pregnancy and childbirth events are currently untouched. There are limitations to what I can accomplish with this hack and those two events are very difficult to change, unfortunately.

12. seagrot

seagrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Canada
    Signed up to say thank you for making this patch! Trio of Towns won't load for me using HANS at the moment (and I'm on 11.3.0 so unfortunately cfw isn't an option), but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the patch but with HANS itself since I can't load it even without the romfs.

Really excited to play whenever I can, I'm looking forward to seeing how you handled the love events in particular since Ludus' were pretty heavily gendered iirc.

13. Silrae
    OP

Silrae GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    I actually haven't fully edited Ludus' events to my liking, I just rewrote some lines to be gender-neutral. In a future version I might clean it up more to make it less... old-fashioned?
    But because of how the message file works, it's pretty difficult to change an entire event's dialogue. That's why I've mostly just done small edits for the first release.
    (All of the guys' love events are super heavily gendered tbh, it's an absolute nightmare to edit.)

Also, which version of the game are you using with Hans? Digital or the physical cartridge? I remember FE Fates' digital version having issues with Hans, so that might be the issue here.

14. seagrot

seagrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Canada
    Hopefully the message files get easier to work with as time goes on... I'd love to rewrite some of the dialogue to smooth it out and make it more neutral but the actual file editing itself is super intimidating so I'm thankful you're able to do even this much.

I'm on the cartridge version! I don't have access to the digital version, but I'd be interested to hear if that works any better for anyone.

15. Noroxus

Noroxus Margen67 Supporter

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Glorious Nippon
    I love this so much. I tried to do the same thing with the first SoS but it didnt work....

Seriously, thanks so much for this <3

Gon Freecss likes this.
  16. Cleru

Cleru Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    Well I'm a CFW user so I used another method. I followed all the instructions but when loading, the game just gave me an error and had to reboot.
    The plugin is a lot more faster and convenient to use, especially if the plugin patch gets updated, I don't have to patch the whole game.

17. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    And that's what I love above NTR. No need to patch anything other than update a file or two.

18. KariRaquan

KariRaquan GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    I actually think this is one of the first patches to be made for a 3ds Story of Seasons game. I can't wait to try this hack out. Thanks for this!!

Silrae likes this.
  19. Silrae
    OP

Silrae GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    I'd actually be really happy to get some help with dialogue if the xbb message file weren't such a pain :/ I might try to make a transcript for easy editing when I have some time.

@Cleru I checked out Hans and it looks like Trio of Towns isn't compatible with it at all, it crashes on the main title screen with the patch and without. Looks like this'll be an ntr cfw exclusive patch for now until that gets fixed (if it ever does).
    Thank you! I actually tried this with SoS too, but for some reason its main data files were no where to be found?
    Trio of Towns has all its data nicely compiled in the constdata.xbb file, so it made editing much easier once I actually found what I needed to edit.

Noroxus likes this.
  20. Cleru

Cleru Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    @Silrae I never got to the main title screen. Once running the game I get a black screen on top, and an error message at the bottom telling me to reboot.
    So I don't think I patched it properly. But if it isn't working for you either, it doesn't matter in the end.