Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
The Original R4's that Shoptemp sells for so cheap? If what I've heard is true, that they produce them to the same specification as the original, then I consider them authentic units.
At best, they'd be counterfeit R4s... but NEVER Authentic.

Anyway.... Anyone get Slot2 booting to work?

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I'm aware Acekard stopped updating their firmware when another Unofficial team had a pretty succesfull run with it, then when they quit Acekard started releasing the Official again and then stopped once they realised AKAIO was doing the job and a much better one.

Who's to say they won't pick up the slack again if AKAIO quits ?
It's actually pretty smart, although they should try to keep posting the newest stuff on their sites :/

Anywho long live R4
biggrin.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
RupeeClock said:
The Original R4's that Shoptemp sells for so cheap? If what I've heard is true, that they produce them to the same specification as the original, then I consider them authentic units.
I don't know...
I mean if they are designing them to the same specification, then they HAVE the specification necessary to make them work the same the originals.
A counterfeit or a clone would have some minor difference, but the "original R4" shoptemp sells appears to be, pretty much identical.

Well I'll know soon enough, I've ordered one since it was so cheap.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
twiztidsinz said:
RupeeClock said:
I don't know...
I mean if they are designing them to the same specification, then they HAVE the specification necessary to make them work the same the originals.
A counterfeit or a clone would have some minor difference, but the "original R4" shoptemp sells appears to be, pretty much identical.

Let me put it this way...
If I make all the parts EXACTLY to specification, and put it together EXACTLY to specification... it's still a counterfeit Rolex.

I know, I know... the comparison is a stretch, but it's the same idea.

I'm not saying the R4's that ShopTemp sells are bad (in comparison to real R4s), because I've heard they are VERY good.
But the fact is that the R4's aren't being made anymore. It's doubtful that any shops, especially new ones, will have real R4s.

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
twiztidsinz said:
RupeeClock said:
I don't know...

Got the R4 "original" today and it's the same as my R4. The difference being the color (my R4 from years ago is white, the "original" is black). Same build quality and everything, however. Nothing more is different from what I've gathered so far. Just testing this "original" and setting it up for my cousin. He'll enjoy this, and it's his first cart, so he'll find it to be the greatest thing ever (he's 7, btw, so that's why I'm setting it up for him instead of him doing it).

I'll probably get him a 2i or SCDS2 for his bday.

laxman0220

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
try it, just put the wood r4 firmware and the dsmenu.dat file on the root of ur card, also put ur clones r4.dat file on the root too, it may work.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Miser said:
twiztidsinz said:
But the fact is that the R4's aren't being made anymore.
Any proof to back this "fact" up?

You've been here a month. If you were around at the demise of the R4 team you wouldn't be asking such a pointless question. R4's are not made any more. Ask any veteran of the scene and they'll tell you that real R4's are not made any more. Do you think people say it because there's some kind of global conspiracy to give the R4 a bad name or to put people off buying them? Do you think we all work for competitors and are merely trying to stop sales? Or could it perhaps be that we tell people because we're genuinely concerned that a newcomer to the flashcart scene makes a sound purchase? Why is it always the newcomers who tell the people who've been in the scene for years that they're wrong?

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Huh. If you rename the unencrypted _DS_MENU.DAT to, say, WoodR4.nds, you can boot back to Wood as if it were a DS game. Also, I just tested now (Real R4 BTW) no freezing when booting up a game.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
You've been here a month. If you were around at the demise of the R4 team you wouldn't be asking such a pointless question. R4's are not made any more. Ask any veteran of the scene and they'll tell you that real R4's are not made any more. Do you think people say it because there's some kind of global conspiracy to give the R4 a bad name or to put people off buying them? Do you think we all work for competitors and are merely trying to stop sales? Or could it perhaps be that we tell people because we're genuinely concerned that a newcomer to the flashcart scene makes a sound purchase? Why is it always the newcomers who tell the people who've been in the scene for years that they're wrong?
What does me having been here a month have to do with anything? I know that Nintendo sued the R4 team and that they stopped updating the firmware etc.
I was just asking for some proof that real R4s are not made anymore. Just like he asked for proof when Jakob stated that the R4li and EX4DS are made by the original R4 team.
Who knows, maybe they still make them.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
i don't think this will work. I'm sure this is built with the R4IO.h header and leaves no space for DLDI Patching. Basically, it will work on carts that have IO instructions like r4ds and nothing else due to no dldi patching space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4