Hacking Quick questions about WiiU + updating

Ronin22222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dell sent me a bunch of gift cards so I decided to use them on a new Wii U Deluxe set. The one with Nintendo Land + Super Mario 3D World. I was able to get it for 150 bucks out of pocket so I'm pretty happy with that. Anyway, it's coming tomorrow and I'm prepping to install Homebrew Channel + WiiFlow. I already have an old Wii with everything set up so I'm up to speed for the most part, except for working with the new console. I just want to know if I'm on the right track and ask a couple quick questions if you guys could help me out

I'm planning on using the SD card + USB hard drive from my Wii. I'm going to delete everything off the SD card to prevent compatibility problems and I'm going to delete everything off the USB except for the GameCube games and Wii games for the same reason. From there I'm going to follow one of the guides in the FAQ section to set it up.

* - Is it safe to update the Wii U after setting up Homebrew Channel? I see mixed info on this and I see on the official FAQ info about bricking if it detects a mod. For the most part I just want to be able to update so I can use the eShop
* - Do the Wii + GameCube games work with the gamepad with the built in controls? If not by default, is there a patch or homebrew somewhere to get the gamepad to work fully as a portable without the use of a wii remote and/or gamepad? I was hoping to be able to use the wii u gamepad as a fully functional portable
* - I have a 3DS XL with a Gateway 3DS. Is it safe to use the same account on both consoles as far as anybody knows at this point?
* - Is it safe to use any connectivity features with the 3DS + Gateway and the Wii U games? All of my backups are only trimmed to save space and not patched for online play
* - Do all games play at native 1080 or at least upscaled 1080? The reason I ask is the TV I want to use it on only supports 480 + 1080. It doesn't support 720. It was one of the early 1080 tv's and I haven't replaced it yet
* - I see it's not a good idea to install most wads. Is it OK to install the WiiWare/VC games and can they still be run through USB?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
* - Is it safe to update the Wii U after setting up Homebrew Channel? I see mixed info on this and I see on the official FAQ info about bricking if it detects a mod. For the most part I just want to be able to update so I can use the eShop It is safe, but if you have a version under 5.1.0, you can will be able to access Wii U homebrew sooner. If not, you may as well update
* - Do the Wii + GameCube games work with the gamepad with the built in controls? If not by default, is there a patch or homebrew somewhere to get the gamepad to work fully as a portable without the use of a wii remote and/or gamepad? I was hoping to be able to use the wii u gamepad as a fully functional portable No, nothing currently works on the vWii side of things with the GamePad (except with eShop-bought Wii games that are classic controller compatible)
* - I have a 3DS XL with a Gateway 3DS. Is it safe to use the same account on both consoles as far as anybody knows at this point? Safe as houses
* - Is it safe to use any connectivity features with the 3DS + Gateway and the Wii U games? All of my backups are only trimmed to save space and not patched for online play Should be, but I'm not the one to ask
* - Do all games play at native 1080 or at least upscaled 1080? The reason I ask is the TV I want to use it on only supports 480 + 1080. It doesn't support 720. It was one of the early 1080 tv's and I haven't replaced it yet All first party Wii U games do, those that don't upscale to 1080p. Wii games are upscaled to 480p

Ronin22222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers. I think that's everything. I forgot to ask if it's OK to update the Wii U first to the latest version, then install the Homebrew Channel or if installing the Homebrew Channel needs to be done before updating. The reason I'm asking is the Wii U is getting delivered tomorrow and I haven't picked up an exploit game yet. I tried to head to the local GameStop a few minutes ago to get it squared away and my truck spun out on the ice and slid down the hill. It's stuck until the snow/ice melts which won't be for a few days. Just wanting to know if I can check out all the features while I'm stuck at home or if I need to wait til I can get everything I need

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers. I think that's everything. I forgot to ask if it's OK to update the Wii U first to the latest version, then install the Homebrew Channel or if installing the Homebrew Channel needs to be done before updating. The reason I'm asking is the Wii U is getting delivered tomorrow and I haven't picked up an exploit game yet. I tried to head to the local GameStop a few minutes ago to get it squared away and my truck spun out on the ice and slid down the hill. It's stuck until the snow/ice melts which won't be for a few days. Just wanting to know if I can check out all the features while I'm stuck at home or if I need to wait til I can get everything I need

vWii homebrew is fine in all versions to date, but be wary when updating anyway, as that (or potential for Wii U kernel-level homebrew) may change. Whenever an update is announced, disconnect your Wii U from the internet and check this subforum FIRST before updating. There will always be a new thread that states the perceived changes from those of us that are willing to take the risk

Ronin22222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks man. That's everything. I'm not too concerned with Wii U kernel level homebrew at this point. There's not enough progress right now for my taste. It'll be a while before anything exciting happens. As far as I know it's just a webkit exploit at this point like the Vita and PS4 and nothing's come from them yet either. I'm fine with just the vWii side for homebrew + eShop for the Wii U side. Now it's just a waiting game for UPS. Thanks again. :)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks man. That's everything. I'm not too concerned with Wii U kernel level homebrew at this point. There's not enough progress right now for my taste. It'll be a while before anything exciting happens. As far as I know it's just a webkit exploit at this point like the Vita and PS4 and nothing's come from them yet either. I'm fine with just the vWii side for homebrew + eShop for the Wii U side. Now it's just a waiting game for UPS. Thanks again. :)

Sounds good! Also, another word of warning, READ THE STICKIES and don't use any Wii application that writes to the NAND, only use stuff that loads into memory (i.e. it is stored on a USB stick or SD card). Forwarders are fine, as long as they are built for vWii. Use DumpMiiNAND to dump your NAND and keys BEFORE you install anything (post homebrew-installation, of course). And if you know what's good for you, don't directly patch vIOSs without said backup. THAT should be it now :)

Enjoy your Wii U, man!

Ronin22222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good! Also, another word of warning, READ THE STICKIES and don't use any Wii application that writes to the NAND, only use stuff that loads into memory (i.e. it is stored on a USB stick or SD card). Forwarders are fine, as long as they are built for vWii. Use DumpMiiNAND to dump your NAND and keys BEFORE you install anything (post homebrew-installation, of course). And if you know what's good for you, don't directly patch vIOSs without said backup. THAT should be it now :)

Enjoy your Wii U, man!

Just to be clear when you say don't install anything to NAND you mean any IOS mods not designed specifically for the Wii U. You're not talking about the WiiWare or Virtual Console wads right? I'm not really clear on where they install on the Wii U. Do they install to the built in 32 gigs or do they install to the SD card by default like they used to? Sorry to be a pest, but it's better to ask then to mess something up. I've read the stickies and am planning on backing everything up first so no worries there.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear when you say don't install anything to NAND you mean any IOS mods not designed specifically for the Wii U. You're not talking about the WiiWare or Virtual Console wads right? I'm not really clear on where they install on the Wii U. Do they install to the built in 32 gigs or do they install to the SD card by default like they used to? Sorry to be a pest, but it's better to ask then to mess something up. I've read the stickies and am planning on backing everything up first so no worries there.

The vWii section has a whopping 512 MB allocated to it, so your best bet is with an SD card. But yes, I'm mainly talking about things like .wads and IOSs that are not designed for the vWii, but also doing stuff like BootMii and Priiloader. If you've read the stickies, you should be good to go. Also, vWii neek2o just launched a beta that actually works, so that's another option for WiiWare/Virtual Console (this is especially beneficial since you said you're installing WiiFlow, which natively supports it)

Reactions: sideskroll

Ronin22222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The vWii section has a whopping 512 MB allocated to it, so your best bet is with an SD card. But yes, I'm mainly talking about things like .wads and IOSs that are not designed for the vWii, but also doing stuff like BootMii and Priiloader. If you've read the stickies, you should be good to go. Also, vWii neek2o just launched a beta that actually works, so that's another option for WiiWare/Virtual Console (this is especially beneficial since you said you're installing WiiFlow, which natively supports it)

Thank you so much for all your help clearing things up for me. I shouldn't have any trouble with it when it comes in and now have a game plan on a quick + straight forward set up. UPS can't get here fast enough.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for all your help clearing things up for me. I shouldn't have any trouble with it when it comes in and now have a game plan on a quick + straight forward set up. UPS can't get here fast enough.

No problem! If you need anything, just say so! Just remember that in general, if you can avoid installing something to the console (hack-wise), do so. The less you mess around with the NAND, the better, I cannot stress that enough

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

Could you point me to a tutorial for neek2o? I've been waiting for that for a long long time (I've been wanting to play TIN-TIN and install my VC games to emunand. ALL of them instead of worrying about space)
And, I'd like to keep my vWii as clean as possible.;)
Thanks.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you point me to a tutorial for neek2o? I've been waiting for that for a long long time (I've been wanting to play TIN-TIN and install my VC games to emunand. ALL of them instead of worrying about space)
And, I'd like to keep my vWii as clean as possible.;)
Thanks.

I would say read the readme, I've been trying to find a good tutorial as well (and failing), and haven't had time to download it

Ask me about anything but emuNAND, because my knowledge of that is still foggy lol

Reactions: sideskroll

Ronin22222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say read the readme, I've been trying to find a good tutorial as well (and failing), and haven't had time to download it

Ask me about anything but emuNAND, because my knowledge of that is still foggy lol

I'm so bummed right now. UPS showed up, I open the box and start unwrapping everything. I get it all connected. I get ready to pop a disc in and neither of the games are inside the box. I don't even have the Lego exploit game yet so all I have is a couple paperweights. I've been trying to talk to Dell to get it straightened out. I'm on hold with the 4th person I've been told to contact. The first two just passed me off, the third told me I had to talk to technical support even though I told him that I could clearly see that the discs weren't physically in the box

DELL sucks ass

Edit: OK, apparently I'm the one that's the moron. I see on the front of the WiiU box that it says the games are pre-installed. I just saw the space in the box for retail game discs being empty and jumped the gun

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so bummed right now. UPS showed up, I open the box and start unwrapping everything. I get it all connected. I get ready to pop a disc in and neither of the games are inside the box. I don't even have the Lego exploit game yet so all I have is a couple paperweights. I've been trying to talk to Dell to get it straightened out. I'm on hold with the 4th person I've been told to contact. The first two just passed me off, the third told me I had to talk to technical support even though I told him that I could clearly see that the discs weren't physically in the box

DELL sucks ass

Edit: OK, apparently I'm the one that's the moron. I see on the front of the WiiU box that it says the games are pre-installed. I just saw the space in the box for retail game discs being empty and jumped the gun

Haha yeah, when I got my Wind Waker bundle I had that same "WTF?!?!" moment :P I even registered that I wanted the disk version of The Wind Waker HD on Club Nintendo lol

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

So... Where should I look for it then? :)
There's no thread in here as far as I can see...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf