Question about the circle pad/analog stick thing whatever

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Chaos Rush, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Chaos Rush
    OP

Member Chaos Rush GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So a couple of years ago I bought Super Mario 64 DS, but I never beat it because it's a pain in the ass to play using a D-Pad. I just realized that if I get a 3DS, I can finally play Super Mario 64 DS with an analog stick.

But my question is, how good does the 3DS analog stick feel with regular DS games? Does it feel fine, or is it 8-direction movement?

2. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

It's nice smooth 8-direction movement. I've tried it with a few games and it feels more natural than a D-Pad.

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Smooth 8-direction though I understand it doesn't do true analog gameplay i.e. the way you move the pas affects whether you walk or run.

In reply to your PM, I don't remember beating that boss. I do remember I was writing an essay on Marx and Nietzche at the time which seems to take precedence in my mind sorry.

4. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I use the circle pad in all my DS games and they turn out great. It feels more natural than a DPad

5. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    im pretty sure it's capable of a full 360-direction or more but with DS games it's limited to 8-direction.
    It is still great though.

6. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    What everyone else said. It's definitely smoother and more natural feeling than the dpad for games with 3 dimensional planes of movement, but it's still only 8 ways.

7. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Dude you gotta play Mario 64 DS with the thumbstrap, people bitch and gripe about it but it works wonderfully once you get used to it

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It does make a difference, watch this video and it compares the slide pad with the D-pad.

9. YamiHoshi.nl

Member YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

Japan
    It's not as great as you might think, but at least the Bowser Battles aren't that annoying.

10. xwatchmanx

United States
    The only problem I have with Super Mario 64 DS is the lack of a default run button. It was such a pain to have to hold down the run button, AND then a button to jump, and then a separate button to punch. I'm really surprised there's no hack out there to make a default run button. I can't find one anywhere.

11. Chaos Rush
    OP

Member Chaos Rush GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So it's not full analog, it's 8 direction movement, but it still feels better because you're using an analog stick? Meh I think I'll pass...

Oh wow, I had no idea that thing even existed until now. Shame that they stopped shipping it starting with DSLite.

Since I don't feel the need to get a 3DS just yet, I might get a thumb strap instead. I'll probably get a 3DS once a main series Pokemon game comes out on it. Thanks for the info guys!

12. YamiHoshi.nl

Member YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

Japan
    Do you mean, something like the running from Super Mario 64 DS?
    This game is made for the Nintendo DS, which only has a D-Pad.
    D-Pads can't be programmed to differ per movement, unlike Joysticks or Circle Pads.

13. xwatchmanx

United States
    I know, but that's not what I mean.... I mean just a hack that allows you to run without holding down the run button. Instead, the run button would make you walk. A lot of games have this feature on the DS.

14. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    You do things besides bash games and companies? :O