Homebrew Is there a way to use the Switch Pro Controller (or DualShock 4) as a Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS ?

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I currently use the Switch Pro Controller to play some games on the 3DS which I find extremely uncomfortable,
I use the InputRedirection ( )

and it works very well, playing SpiderMan Edge of Time on the 3DS is much better this way, I can even use the right analog stick to control the camera (this game uses the d-pad to control the camera, so I just remap the buttons) :

But that doesn't work for all games unfortunately (after all, not all games use the d-pad to control the camera), so I would like to know if there is any way to make the Switch Pro Controller work as a Circle Pad Pro on the 3DS.

Reactions: FanNintendo

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently use the Switch Pro Controller to play some games on the 3DS which I find extremely uncomfortable,
I use the InputRedirection ( )

and it works very well, playing SpiderMan Edge of Time on the 3DS is much better this way, I can even use the right analog stick to control the camera (this game uses the d-pad to control the camera, so I just remap the buttons) :

But that doesn't work for all games unfortunately (after all, not all games use the d-pad to control the camera), so I would like to know if there is any way to make the Switch Pro Controller work as a Circle Pad Pro on the 3DS.

how you manager get Switch to connect to inputredirectionclient to New 3DS ? I only can manager get XBOX One controller to work not Swithc Pro controller or PS4 controller I'd rather use Switch because it have gyro for Luigi's mansion dark moon or Captain Treasure.

PTanker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are Input Redirection cilents that make the New 3DS’s C-Stick the same as a controller’s right analog, but if the circle pad pro is something different, I have no idea.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are Input Redirection cilents that make the New 3DS’s C-Stick the same as a controller’s right analog, but if the circle pad pro is something different, I have no idea.
right I like to figure out how to connect Switch Pro controller use right analog stick for look up or down as 360 movement but suck that use Y and B to look up and down. Gyro is also in motion.

Dude98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the new 3ds/2ds line emulate the cpad pro when you play a cpad pro supported game, i know this because my new 2ds xl can play MGS 3D with circle pad pro mode enabled, and it shows the c stick test screen without issue. i even can use an input redirect to use my dualsense (with ds4windows emulating an xbox controller) with no issue at all. check if your redirector is set to bind right stick as c stick instead of dpad on the PC side, make sure it applies the settings too.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the new 3ds/2ds line emulate the cpad pro when you play a cpad pro supported game, i know this because my new 2ds xl can play MGS 3D with circle pad pro mode enabled, and it shows the c stick test screen without issue. i even can use an input redirect to use my dualsense (with ds4windows emulating an xbox controller) with no issue at all. check if your redirector is set to bind right stick as c stick instead of dpad on the PC side, make sure it applies the settings too.
do you have the link to it? But on Luigi manison 2 - dark moon has gyro motion you move around. and use c stick for vacumming or flashlight. Do you mind if you can test it out if you dont have issue then Ill know.

Dude98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you have the link to it? But on Luigi manison 2 - dark moon has gyro motion you move around. and use c stick for vacumming or flashlight. Do you mind if you can test it out if you dont have issue then Ill know.
luigi's mansion 2 never used the circle pad pro, c stick or ZL/ZR, and never got an update so they could, so of course they won't work in it. (you can use X and B to move the darklight or vacuum up and down though) i never tried to use the c stick or zl/zr buttons on an original 3ds as i got my N2DSXL specifically for homebrewing (and monster hunter, i even have generations and world set to use dpad camera, no radial for me.)
also, redirection client extended 3.5's on github https://github.com/mastermune/InputRedirectionClient-Qt/releases
on windows it's xinput only, so you need a converter program (DS4Windows, X360ce, BetterJoy, etc.) to use non xbox controllers. last update was in 2018, and i don't know any newer ones. if anyone else does, preferrably with SDL gamepad support, post it in here so we can all enjoy 3ds games with a full controller and not the joy-con like lack of grips.
also, if you want a close experience to what a 3ds would be like turned into a proper controller, use a wii u pro controller. (wiinusoft works great with them) sticks are in the same orientation as N3DS/N2DS, and the buttons match by letter.
Edit: Gyro controls will never work unless you move the 3ds around, because xbox controllers do not support motion controls, which makes the converter programs unable to as well. you'd have to stick the 3ds onto the controller splatoon 1 battle dojo style to get gyro working. this could be fixed with SDL or DSUClient support along with gyro support being added on the 3ds side, but that would take a lot of code and it'd be easier to dump and play the games on citra at that point.

Last edited by Dude98,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
how you manager get Switch to connect to inputredirectionclient to New 3DS ? I only can manager get XBOX One controller to work not Swithc Pro controller or PS4 controller I'd rather use Switch because it have gyro for Luigi's mansion dark moon or Captain Treasure.
Try with BetterJoy.
Edit: Not sure how you're going to get the gyro to work though. Not sure input redirection even supports gyros, but the gyro on the Switch Pro isn't exposed in a way apps can easily take advantage of, it requires special support (which BetterJoy has, but the program the controller is used with also has to specifically support BetterJoy for that part to work, for example Cemu with CemuHook or Ryujinx both support it)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Dude98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try with BetterJoy.
Edit: Not sure how you're going to get the gyro to work though. Not sure input redirection even supports gyros, but the gyro on the Switch Pro isn't exposed in a way apps can easily take advantage of, it requires special support (which BetterJoy has, but the program the controller is used with also has to specifically support BetterJoy for that part to work, for example Cemu with CemuHook or Ryujinx both support it)
SDLGamepad (Dolphin emu uses it) has support from motion input from Switch Pro, DS4, and Dualsense, but again, the input redirectors only support xbox controllers (Xinput) which have never had motion controls, so unless a fairly important part of the code changes with an update to both the redirectors (which is unlikely as ever because last update was 5 to 6 years ago) and Luma's code for inputredirection adds gyro (also unlikely because that's gonna be a whole lot of code which possibly no one will want to do) we're stuck with splatoon 1 battle dojo (zip tying your 3ds to your controller, like you could with a wiimote that had motion plus in splatoon 1)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SDLGamepad (Dolphin emu uses it) has support from motion input from Switch Pro, DS4, and Dualsense, but again, the input redirectors only support xbox controllers (Xinput) which have never had motion controls, so unless a fairly important part of the code changes with an update to both the redirectors (which is unlikely as ever because last update was 5 to 6 years ago) and Luma's code for inputredirection adds gyro (also unlikely because that's gonna be a whole lot of code which possibly no one will want to do) we're stuck with splatoon 1 battle dojo (zip tying your 3ds to your controller, like you could with a wiimote that had motion plus in splatoon 1)
That's pretty much what I figured, but thanks for the confirmation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night