Hardware Question about the circle pad/analog stick thing whatever

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a couple of years ago I bought Super Mario 64 DS, but I never beat it because it's a pain in the ass to play using a D-Pad. I just realized that if I get a 3DS, I can finally play Super Mario 64 DS with an analog stick.

But my question is, how good does the 3DS analog stick feel with regular DS games? Does it feel fine, or is it 8-direction movement?

loco365

Trophies
XP
So a couple of years ago I bought Super Mario 64 DS, but I never beat it because it's a pain in the ass to play using a D-Pad. I just realized that if I get a 3DS, I can finally play Super Mario 64 DS with an analog stick.

But my question is, how good does the 3DS analog stick feel with regular DS games? Does it feel fine, or is it 8-direction movement?
It's nice smooth 8-direction movement. I've tried it with a few games and it feels more natural than a D-Pad.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smooth 8-direction though I understand it doesn't do true analog gameplay i.e. the way you move the pas affects whether you walk or run.

In reply to your PM, I don't remember beating that boss. I do remember I was writing an essay on Marx and Nietzche at the time which seems to take precedence in my mind sorry.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I use the circle pad in all my DS games and they turn out great. It feels more natural than a DPad

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What everyone else said. It's definitely smoother and more natural feeling than the dpad for games with 3 dimensional planes of movement, but it's still only 8 ways.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I have with Super Mario 64 DS is the lack of a default run button. It was such a pain to have to hold down the run button, AND then a button to jump, and then a separate button to punch. I'm really surprised there's no hack out there to make a default run button. I can't find one anywhere.

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's not full analog, it's 8 direction movement, but it still feels better because you're using an analog stick? Meh I think I'll pass...

Dude you gotta play Mario 64 DS with the thumbstrap, people bitch and gripe about it but it works wonderfully once you get used to it
Oh wow, I had no idea that thing even existed until now. Shame that they stopped shipping it starting with DSLite.

Since I don't feel the need to get a 3DS just yet, I might get a thumb strap instead. I'll probably get a 3DS once a main series Pokemon game comes out on it. Thanks for the info guys!

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Do you mean, something like the running from Super Mario 64 DS?
This game is made for the Nintendo DS, which only has a D-Pad.
D-Pads can't be programmed to differ per movement, unlike Joysticks or Circle Pads.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean, something like the running from Super Mario 64 DS?
This game is made for the Nintendo DS, which only has a D-Pad.
D-Pads can't be programmed to differ per movement, unlike Joysticks or Circle Pads.
I know, but that's not what I mean.... I mean just a hack that allows you to run without holding down the run button. Instead, the run button would make you walk. A lot of games have this feature on the DS.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smooth 8-direction though I understand it doesn't do true analog gameplay i.e. the way you move the pas affects whether you walk or run.

In reply to your PM, I don't remember beating that boss. I do remember I was writing an essay on Marx and Nietzche at the time which seems to take precedence in my mind sorry.
You do things besides bash games and companies? :O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn