President
OP
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
I read across the interwebs that Nintendo is working on releasing an update to block the hacked VC wads (roms) from being used and you'll have to use the update in order to continue using the console.

Problem I have is my wii isn't modded but I want to play vc games on it but I don't see the point in paying 5-15 for games I have sitting in my closet.

Has anyone heard anything?

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only thing that is definite, so far, is the IOS37 update, which is already on many Wii, but which has yet to be 'activated' ...

This IOS, once 'activated' will disable the Trucha signer, and the FreeLoader ...

tredes

Trophies
XP
Country
have u got a link to this report that was released by nintendo?

id like to have a read...i dont think that its possible for them to stop all o this...

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
pikachucrackpipe said:
you'll have to use the update in order to continue using the console.
How can they force the update for wii's who are not connected to the internets then? They can't force updates, only when you want new stuff like WiiWare, they may bundle that update with a fix against trucha stuff, but they can't block the way you are using your Wii now until you update or something...

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Monkey01 said:
pikachucrackpipe said:
How can they force the update for wii's who are not connected to the internets then? They can't force updates, only when you want new stuff like WiiWare, they may bundle that update with a fix against trucha stuff, but they can't block the way you are using your Wii now until you update or something...

They can force the update by making it an absolute requirement on up-coming games ... being only able to play older games isn't going to work with many users, is it?

They put the update on the disc, and make the game unplayable with out it ... quite simple, really ...

mojario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil.. i think you *might* be missing the point..
you obviously dont have to update via the net and if new games require an update surely with all this hacking business it can be overcome. -i realize its probably not as easy as im making it out to be but still surely its possible

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mojario said:
thebobevil.. i think you *might* be missing the point..
you obviously dont have to update via the net and if new games require an update surely with all this hacking business it can be overcome. -i realize its probably not as easy as im making it out to be but still surely its possible

No, it is you who are missing the point ... you assume Nintendo cannot fix these problems sufficiently to prevent further abuse, and that is naive ...

More and more, companies are working to prevent this kind of thing, and more and more, they are succeeding ... played any copied PS3 games lately? No, I didn' think you had ...

I've been pirating for 25 years now, and my instincts are telling me that Nintendo may very well overkill in their response to this current situation ...

pikachucrackpipe

President
OP
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
from bushing
QUOTE said:
A lot of stuff has happened lately, and I haven’t written in a while. VC piracy has (as expected) flourished, and we’re still waiting to see what form Nintendo’s reaction will take — at least, I don’t really feel like releasing any code until I see what happens.

http://hackmii.com/2008/04/brickmii/

i guess it's just a waiting game at this point.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thebobevil said:
Monkey01 said:
pikachucrackpipe said:

They can force the update by making it an absolute requirement on up-coming games ... being only able to play older games isn't going to work with many users, is it?

They put the update on the disc, and make the game unplayable with out it ... quite simple, really ...
Well that's possible, but I was saying they can't force an update in the way he said it, like if you don't update, you can't continue using the console.

And even not being able to play the newer games doesn't seem to be a big problem atm imo, I don't know what new big game I should be waiting for now...

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Or, what if you have an un-modded console, and want to play legitimate imports, but can't, because FreeLoader has been disabled?

mark187 said:
For new releases you can just use the various IOS patching tools to overcome forced updates.

No, you can't because if a game REQUIRES a specific update, and that update inludes the activation for IOS37, which disables the Trucha exploit, you will be unable to use said tools as they use trucha to sign ...

Edit: Don't double post!
lecture.gif
- Sinkhead

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
Or, what if you have an un-modded console, and want to play legitimate imports, but can't, because FreeLoader has been disabled?

mark187 said:
For new releases you can just use the various IOS patching tools to overcome forced updates.

No, you can't because if a game REQUIRES a specific update, and that update inludes the activation for IOS37, which disables the Trucha exploit, you will be unable to use said tools as they use trucha to sign ...

Edit: Don't double post!
lecture.gif
- Sinkhead

To add an example, Super Smash Bros Brawl REQUIRED an update (to read dual layer)

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob,

Come on, you say you've got 25 years in this? Then you should know where there's a will there's a way. Everything can be cracked with time. It doesn't matter HOW they patch it...if they want to try to SELL games, it will be cracked. Bricking Wii's isn't going to sell them games, even most pirates buy games on occasion. Quit playing the "OMG IT'S OVER" card. It's lame for someone with as much "experience" as you say you have...and btw, PS3's copy protection was making huge oversized mediocre games on currently not cheap media that currently just isn't worth the hassle for many but the die hard.

Will Nintendo try to stop the current trend? Yes. Should they? Yes. Will someone find a way around it? Eventually.

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can expect with the cracking of VC Games and the Opera Browser Channel. WiiWare could be next in line. I can bet my last dollar that Nintendo will try to have some sort of update or extra protection for the WiiWare Games. We are sitting here asking the wrong questions. Instead of asking What if we get blocked out of Homebrew? Think a little bit, All tries at "protection" by Nintendo were broken in a minimum of 2 weeks. The workaround will eventually come.

The question we should be asking is How far will Nintendo go when they decide to strike back? Lets forget all the hypothesis and theories and think of the absolute worse case scenario. Nintendo uses a code to brick your console. No work around for that. But as we go up the ladder of scenarios, to where Nintendo simply just disables Trucha Signer. Then I bet that can be easily fixed.

No worries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1