Question about "hacked" VC Files

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by pikachucrackpipe, May 1, 2008.

May 1, 2008
  1. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    I read across the interwebs that Nintendo is working on releasing an update to block the hacked VC wads (roms) from being used and you'll have to use the update in order to continue using the console.

Problem I have is my wii isn't modded but I want to play vc games on it but I don't see the point in paying 5-15 for games I have sitting in my closet.

Has anyone heard anything?

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    The only thing that is definite, so far, is the IOS37 update, which is already on many Wii, but which has yet to be 'activated' ...

This IOS, once 'activated' will disable the Trucha signer, and the FreeLoader ...

3. tredes

Member tredes GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    have u got a link to this report that was released by nintendo?

id like to have a read...i dont think that its possible for them to stop all o this...

4. oligore

Newcomer oligore Member

New Zealand
    Does the trucha signer have any relation to the hacked channels or do they just use twilight hack

5. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

United States
    loading the games by the twilight hack is the only softmod i really know of
    let me try to find that link for you, tredes.

6. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    How can they force the update for wii's who are not connected to the internets then? They can't force updates, only when you want new stuff like WiiWare, they may bundle that update with a fix against trucha stuff, but they can't block the way you are using your Wii now until you update or something...

7. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    They can force the update by making it an absolute requirement on up-coming games ... being only able to play older games isn't going to work with many users, is it?

They put the update on the disc, and make the game unplayable with out it ... quite simple, really ...

8. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

United States
    yeah but since this is through a hole in a game, a system update shouldn't have a patch for a video game.

9. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Youre missing the point ... they can just put the fix inside the mandatory system update ...

10. mojario

Newcomer mojario Member

Australia
    thebobevil.. i think you *might* be missing the point..
    you obviously dont have to update via the net and if new games require an update surely with all this hacking business it can be overcome. -i realize its probably not as easy as im making it out to be but still surely its possible

11. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    No, it is you who are missing the point ... you assume Nintendo cannot fix these problems sufficiently to prevent further abuse, and that is naive ...

More and more, companies are working to prevent this kind of thing, and more and more, they are succeeding ... played any copied PS3 games lately? No, I didn' think you had ...

I've been pirating for 25 years now, and my instincts are telling me that Nintendo may very well overkill in their response to this current situation ...

12. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

United States
    from bushing
    http://hackmii.com/2008/04/brickmii/

i guess it's just a waiting game at this point.

13. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well that's possible, but I was saying they can't force an update in the way he said it, like if you don't update, you can't continue using the console.

And even not being able to play the newer games doesn't seem to be a big problem atm imo, I don't know what new big game I should be waiting for now...

14. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Yes, you will still be able to use the console, just not to play any new releases ...

15. mark187

Member mark187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    For new releases you can just use the various IOS patching tools to overcome forced updates.

16. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

United States
    but what if your machine isn't modded like mine and all you want to do is softmod for vc games?
    that's where the problem arises.

17. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Or, what if you have an un-modded console, and want to play legitimate imports, but can't, because FreeLoader has been disabled?

No, you can't because if a game REQUIRES a specific update, and that update inludes the activation for IOS37, which disables the Trucha exploit, you will be unable to use said tools as they use trucha to sign ...

Edit: Don't double post! [​IMG] - Sinkhead

18. blu9987

Member blu9987 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To add an example, Super Smash Bros Brawl REQUIRED an update (to read dual layer)

19. ImpulsE69

Newcomer ImpulsE69 Advanced Member

United States
    Bob,

Come on, you say you've got 25 years in this? Then you should know where there's a will there's a way. Everything can be cracked with time. It doesn't matter HOW they patch it...if they want to try to SELL games, it will be cracked. Bricking Wii's isn't going to sell them games, even most pirates buy games on occasion. Quit playing the "OMG IT'S OVER" card. It's lame for someone with as much "experience" as you say you have...and btw, PS3's copy protection was making huge oversized mediocre games on currently not cheap media that currently just isn't worth the hassle for many but the die hard.

Will Nintendo try to stop the current trend? Yes. Should they? Yes. Will someone find a way around it? Eventually.

20. Gamesphere

Member Gamesphere GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can expect with the cracking of VC Games and the Opera Browser Channel. WiiWare could be next in line. I can bet my last dollar that Nintendo will try to have some sort of update or extra protection for the WiiWare Games. We are sitting here asking the wrong questions. Instead of asking What if we get blocked out of Homebrew? Think a little bit, All tries at "protection" by Nintendo were broken in a minimum of 2 weeks. The workaround will eventually come.

The question we should be asking is How far will Nintendo go when they decide to strike back? Lets forget all the hypothesis and theories and think of the absolute worse case scenario. Nintendo uses a code to brick your console. No work around for that. But as we go up the ladder of scenarios, to where Nintendo simply just disables Trucha Signer. Then I bet that can be easily fixed.

No worries.