Quake 2 N64 unplayable glitching in both Not64 and Wii64

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii64 Rice build comes closest to making Quake 2 N64 playable, however, both Not64 and Wii64 have glitchy unplayability.

I now realise this is probably because detecting the expansion pak causes it to go into an interlaced video mode. Is there any way of modding the ROM to remove expansion pak detection?

Last edited by HandsomeJack,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
however, both Not64 and Wii64 have glitchy unplayability.
do you refer of the glN64 plugin in Not64/regular Wii64?

The Wii64 Rice build comes closest to making Quake 2 N64 playable
What glitches does it have in Wii64 Rice? I haven't tested again Wii64 glN64/Rice in a while

Is there any way of modding the ROM to remove expansion pak detection?
No, we don't want to remove Expansion Pak support here.
I think the best way is modding the ROM for default at Normal video mode, or at least, default at Low/Normal video quality, instead of High when the Expansion Pak is detected.

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
do you refer of the glN64 plugin in Not64/regular Wii64?

What glitches does it have in Wii64 Rice? I haven't tested again Wii64 glN64/Rice in a while

No, we don't want to remove Expansion Pak support here.
I think the best way is modding the ROM for default at Normal video mode, or at least, default at Low/Normal video quality, instead of High when the Expansion Pak is detected.
Have tried all three of Not64, regular Wii64, Rice Wii64.

Glitching is either flashing, 3D object distortion, seeing through walls, missing objects. Have tried both PAL and US ROMs.

Yes, modding the ROM is better.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Question: have you tried using Mupen64GC-FIX94?

In its time, @FIX94 made some changes in the GX code for fix several GFX issues in some games that was present in Wii64 Beta 1.1 (such F-Zero X, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mortal Kombat 4, Top Gear Hyper-Bike, etc.)

Last year i modded it for add a little new features and fixes, such controller and header fixes, and easier WiiFlow support.

The download link: http://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Mupen64GC-FIX94/releases

Greetings

Reactions: HandsomeJack

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question: have you tried using Mupen64GC-FIX94?

In its time, @FIX94 made some changes in the GX code for fix several GFX issues in some games that was present in Wii64 Beta 1.1 (such F-Zero X, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mortal Kombat 4, Top Gear Hyper-Bike, etc.)

Last year i modded it for add a little new features and fixes, such controller and header fixes, and easier WiiFlow support.

The download link: http://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Mupen64GC-FIX94/releases

Greetings
Has the seeing objects through walls glitch.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
The frame rate is very fast, however, that doesn't seem to affect gameplay speed.
Well, seems that Quake 2 N64 is only playable with Mupen64GC-FIX94 then, only glitch is the can see objects through the walls (i remember Duke Nukem 64 and Earthworm Jim 3D has also this exact issue there, however they're still playable).

One more game that is only playable on Mupen64GC-FIX94 on Wii:
  • Quake II
  • Mortal Kombat 4
  • Wetrix
  • Top Gear Hyper-Bike
That's why i like testing with other emulators that are avaliable on Wii.

Reactions: HandsomeJack

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, seems that Quake 2 N64 is only playable with Mupen64GC-FIX94 then, only glitch is the can see objects through the walls (i remember Duke Nukem 64 and Earthworm Jim 3D has also this exact issue there, however they're still playable).

One more game that is only playable on Mupen64GC-FIX94 on Wii:
  • Quake II
  • Mortal Kombat 4
  • Wetrix
  • Top Gear Hyper-Bike
That's why i like testing with other emulators that are avaliable on Wii.

NFL Blitz appears to be graphically correct but immediately freezes the second the game starts? Do you get this result?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
NFL Blitz appears to be graphically correct but immediately freezes the second the game starts? Do you get this result?
I didnt test this game but i think the cause of the freeze is because of the dynarec used in Wii64 1.1/Mupen64GC-FIX94.

Does this game work in latest Wii64/Not64?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I didnt test this game but i think the cause of the freeze is because of the dynarec used in Wii64 1.1/Mupen64GC-FIX94.

Does this game work in latest Wii64/Not64?

Yes, works just fine aside from the field being incorrectly textured and some garbled graphics on start that quickly goes away

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Yes, works just fine aside from the field being incorrectly textured and some garbled graphics on start that quickly goes away
Thanks for the tests.

Maybe also needs some modifications on the GX (graphics) plugin code.
If FIX94's patch for fix Zelda OoT, F-ZERO X, Wetrix, MK4 and Quake II worked on Mupen64GC-FIX94 (based on Wii64 1.1), it should work fine in latest Wii64 1.3. (Who knows?)
But backporting FIX94's changes in GX code takes long time, since he modified many things here...

Don't ask me about adding these changes to Not64 since Extrems never released the devkitRice toolkit for recompile it.
Post automatically merged:

@Disorarara

Could you please test these experimental Wii64 1.3 builds i've made today with some glN64 GX plugin changes? I merged almost all changes from Mupen64GC-FIX94 that @FIX94 made in the glN64 plugin, obviously adapting with the current Wii64 code.

Remember, REALLY untested. Needs more testing, but i think it should fix some GFX issues in some games.

Source code and commits of what i've actually changed: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Wii64/commits/gln64-fixes-fix94/

Thanks ;)

EDIT: Tested it for a while and i noticed that:
  • NFL Blitz doesn't have GFX glitches anymore.
  • Quake II now can be played but you need to enable FB textures for stop screen flashes,
  • Mortal Kombat 4 now the HUD is displayed correctly now.
I had high hopes if this also can fix the extreme graphical issues in the N64 version of Resident Evil 2, but it seems RE2 doesn't even boot fine in Wii64... sadge D:

1704385066400.png

Attachments

• Wii64_1.3_glN64_Fixes_FIX94_TEST1-saulfabreg.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited by SaulFabre,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the tests.

If FIX94's patch for fix Zelda OoT, F-ZERO X, Wetrix, MK4 and Quake II worked on Mupen64GC-FIX94 (based on Wii64 1.1), it should work fine in latest Wii64 1.3. (Who knows?)
But backporting FIX94's changes in GX code takes long time, since he modified many things here...

Don't ask me about adding these changes to Not64 since Extrems never released the devkitRice toolkit for recompile it.

@Disorarara

Could you please test these experimental Wii64 1.3 builds i've made today with some glN64 GX plugin changes? I merged almost all changes from Mupen64GC-FIX94 that @FIX94 made in the glN64 plugin, obviously adapting with the current Wii64 code.

Remember, REALLY untested. Needs more testing, but i think it should fix some GFX issues in some games.

Source code and commits of what i've actually changed: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Wii64/commits/gln64-fixes-fix94/

Thanks ;)

• Quake II now can be played but you need to enable FB textures for stop screen flashes,
I had high hopes if this also can fix the extreme graphical issues in the N64 version of Resident Evil 2, but it seems RE2 doesn't even boot fine in Wii64... sadge D:

View attachment 411880

In my very limited testing, the field in NFL Blitz still doesn't show the lines on the field as it did with the prior, freezing builds of the FIX94 mods but it does no longer show graphical garbage so it's a net improvement. Wetrix also now much more playable! The arrows now have their proper colors which is a lot better than it was before where they were completely white, so you no longer have to use a VC inject to play this game properly! I'm still going through problem games to see what looks better but these two games are definitely improved at the very least.

• Love

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero on N64 is more playable now with this new build :D
Like in Mortal Kombat 4, the HUD is now properly visible.

1704396275313.png

BTW, i made a PR to Not64 for backport those Mupen64GC-FIX94 glN64 GX fixes to Not64. https://github.com/extremscorner/not64/pull/8

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tests.

@Disorarara

Thanks ;)

View attachment 411880
This fork gets the map in this version of Doom 64 working (Not64 has a black screen with the correct overlay text at the top).

https://github.com/Immorpher/DOOM64XE

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^^^

Yeah this version has the working map. I’m excited to play some Doom now. but it was running too fast instead of capping at 60 VI/DL for me. Not sure why.

There is about to a release of Doom 64 XE which gets the recently remastered mod 'Beta 64' working on original hardware.

Beta 64 is about the same length as the original campaign.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Beta_64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto