Q: How do I get my .sav on my retail cartridge?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by rpg_guy_123441, May 13, 2012.

1. rpg_guy_123441
    OP

Newcomer rpg_guy_123441 Newbie

United Kingdom
    So I've been playing a game on my R4, Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard, and I bought the actual game. Now I'm wondering how to get my R4 .sav onto my retail cartridge? I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You'll need some hardware like the R4i Save Dongle.

While theoretically it could be done via software (like how NitroHax does codes), I'm not aware of any homebrew to do it.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It is usually easier with a GBA slot device but are there not wifi dumping tools that also do saves?

http://blog.b-ark.ca/savsender
    Rough overview
    http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/SavSender
    You will also need a copy of netcat for windows which should be easy enough to find.

I am not sure about Rudolph's wifi stuff (got GBA slot devices when it matters there) but it looks like it does wifi over FTP if you prefer that to netcat..
    http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/applications/download-nds-backup-tool-wifi-031f-f2433.html

4. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    i think there are ROM dumpers that can also do hotswapped save insertion? but the slot2 version was the one i use before (inserted a save file into retail Strange Journey, because my playthrough on that is insanely long).

I think it's the NDS Backup Tool. not sure which of the three (there's 3in1, Slot2, and Wifi versions), but i think all of them can copy/insert saves from/to retail carts. the first two need to be run from slot 2 though, and the third requires an FTP server running off of a computer with wifi connection.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There were a couple that attempted DS slot hotswap but most DS carts do not initialise the memory card or much of anything after a hotswap so that technique was largely abandoned in favour of DLDI GBA slot stuff, hotswapping the 3 in 1 or wifi via FTP or raw transmission the likes of which people use netcap as a simple way to handle.

Rudolph's tools which you mention (they went by the name NDS backup tool) did have save support where the later wood dumper did not which has led to some confusion.

Further back in time there were also programs that allowed you to dump to the SRAM of a GBA cart but let us not go there.