Votes: 45 39.8%

• Total voters

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find myself really not caring about the next Playstation or XBox. I feel they are focusing too heavily on power and features, and less on games and FUN. My allegiance this gen is Nintendo by far. The Wii U has the games I like to play (I've put well over 100 hours into Monster Hunter, and I'm not done. Plus I love Mario and Scribblenauts), its features actually fit my family's gaming style (letting the kids watch a movie while I play on the gamepad...wonderful), and Nintendo is still just trying to make gaming fun.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I actually find it rather sad that this will probably have a big affect on sales. So many people (especially teenagers) only care about graphics these days. Developers focus more on that now than gameplay or story, and we get good looking pieces of crap as a result.

"Both" and "Neither" are better options than "None". "None" suggests you won't get any of the four consoles for this generation.
4.....?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, they did go multicore - that's a step forwards. They did give the console several times the RAM/VRAM of the PS3/360 too. I think Nintendo just had a hard time... imagining that the generation jump will be that huge - they wanted to top the PS3 and 360 and capitalize on that, unfortunately they did so a little late. I think if the WiiU was released 2-3 years earlier than it was, gamers would accept it with a round of applause because the hardware would've been relevant. Now it's... well... lackluster.
I agree with this.

I get tired of people saying that the Wii U is just a slight improvement over the PS360 (it's quite a bit better), but there is no question that it is behind in this generation when it comes to power.

Nothing seems to be going right for Nintendo this generation. They've got piss poor marketing (they've got a confusing name for your average kid/parent, they flip-flop between focusing on family and core games, etc), there is a lot of misinformation about the power, EA seems to really have it out for them (not necessarily saying this is all EA's fault, Nintendo might be to blame), and they fall behind once again on specs (not nearly as bad as the Wii, but still a significant amount). Then right after they reveal their new console, and before they get a chance to "bounce back" from the bad start, both Sony and Microsoft announce something better.

PS: Got some sleep. ;)

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find myself really not caring about the next Playstation or XBox. I feel they are focusing too heavily on power and features, and less on games and FUN. My allegiance this gen is Nintendo by far. The Wii U has the games I like to play (I've put well over 100 hours into Monster Hunter, and I'm not done. Plus I love Mario and Scribblenauts), its features actually fit my family's gaming style (letting the kids watch a movie while I play on the gamepad...wonderful), and Nintendo is still just trying to make gaming fun.

These events were more hardware reveals than anything, though. We should be seeing games at E3. That said, you are kind of right. Both PS4 and X1 focused on features and power. The features of the X1, though, plainly spell out that X1 will be a media center. Not only will it play games, but it'll also do sports, TV, netflix, and bla bla bla. The PS4 features, though had to do with sharing content, be it screen shots of ingame, streaming play, watching other people's streams.

I would argue that the PS4's features that you don't think have to do with games and fun, absolutely do!

I came into the next gen kind of meh... The Wii U has (so far) been underwhelming, and I wasn't all that invested in X1 or PS4. After hearing about both of them, though, right now it's PS4 for me.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Let's see how EA responds when time comes for multi platform titles. I want to know why everyone is defending the X1 while they rag on Wii U?
Who is "everyone?" Since the X1 was announced, pretty much everyone who knows about it hates it, and no one's really been paying to the Wii U that much with the X1 and PS4 going on.

EDIT: Oh, you mean in this thread? That's slow of me. Thanks Foxi4. Well, the Wii U is weak, hardware wise. The X1 is strong, hardware wise. Are we good?

I agree with this.

I get tired of people saying that the Wii U is just a slight improvement over the PS360 (it's quite a bit better), but there is no question that it is behind in this generation when it comes to power.

Nothing seems to be going right for Nintendo this generation. They've got piss poor marketing (they've got a confusing name for your average kid/parent, they flip-flop between focusing on family and core games, etc), there is a lot of misinformation about the power, EA seems to really have it out for them (not necessarily saying this is all EA's fault, Nintendo might be to blame), and they fall behind once again on specs (not nearly as bad as the Wii, but still a significant amount). Then right after they reveal their new console, and before they get a chance to "bounce back" from the bad start, both Sony and Microsoft announce something better.

PS: Got some sleep. ;)
You are way nicer and more reasonable with sleep. That's cool.

Well, at least they're doing well with the handheld market, so I guess that that's what they're doing well this generation. 30 million sold isn't bad at all, especially in comparison to the Vita's 2 million. Besides that, yeah, they're pretty much doing really bad so far. If only they just fucking consulted a focus group, gained more third party support (I mean, for chrissake they had to publish Bayonetta to get something as big as it that's not developed by them as an exclusive, which is fine, but it's not really a good sign,) sped up their release schedule a bit, and decided to release killer apps a bit earlier, then maybe they could've sold more consoles. They didn't, and now, Sony (and... Microsoft, okay, maybe now) is about to beat them to the punch.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's see how EA responds when time comes for multi platform titles. I want to know why everyone is defending the X1 while they rag on Wii U?
Everyone's defending the XBox One from a hardware perspective - it's still contemporary hardware, where it currently falls flat is the used games issue that's yet to be resolved and, well, very little games presented so far. The Wii U on the other hand is way behind contemporary hardware, which is why people rag on it in a thread dedicated to hardware performance.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U on the other hand is way behind contemporary hardware, which is why people rag on it in a thread dedicated to hardware performance.
I think that's an exaggeration, unless you are talking about electronic hardware in general (in which case every console is and always will be way behind). It isn't like the Wii vs the PS360. It's certainly behind, but not to that degree.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I really don't understand why people here are all like "ew, social and multimedia features! I'm not touching Xbox1!"

So let me get this straight... You're not getting a particular console because it has optional features that you don't have to use? Wait, what?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think that's an exaggeration, unless you are talking about electronic hardware in general (in which case every console is and always will be way behind). It isn't like the Wii vs the PS360. It's certainly behind, but not to that degree.
Uhm... yeah, it kinda is like Wii in comparison to the PS360, really. The Wii U is entirely capable of producing graphics slightly exceeding the PS3/360, yes, but it's nowhere near the performance of the PS4/One. It's not so obvious now, but it will be after those consoles are released.

From what we heard so far, the Wii U's GPU is what, 1.5 times as powerful as the PS3's. The PS4's GPU is 4 times as powerful. Naturally this is based on theoretical values - until the consoles are hacked and benchmarked we won't know for sure... but just compare Call of Duty: BlackOps 2 on the Wii and, say, KillZone on the PS4. The difference is night and day.

I really don't understand why people here are all like "ew, social and multimedia features! I'm not touching Xbox1!"

So let me get this straight... You're not getting a particular console because it has optional features that you don't have to use? Wait, what?
Let me rephrase that...

"Eww! The XBox One and the PS4 play games and have other features! That's disgusting, they would be so much better if they just played games (had less features for the same price)! I'm not going to buy them now rather than refrain from using features I don't feel like using like a reasonable person!"

Oh, and by the way... Everybody's climaxing over WaraWara/MiiVerse, everybody hates on PS4's/XBox One's social. That's not a double-standard at all.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Uhm... yeah, it kinda is like Wii in comparison to the PS360, really. The Wii U is entirely capable of producing graphics slightly exceeding the PS3/360, yes, but it's nowhere near the performance of the PS4/One. It's not so obvious now, but it will be after those consoles are released.
This is the kind of misinformation I was talking about. It's capable of producing graphics WAY better than the PS360, not slightly better.
Wii U's GPGPU Squashes Xbox 360, PS3; Capable Of DirectX 11 Equivalent Graphics

If you are thinking of what games look like now, you are making the mistake of comparing a console's weakest games (i.e. launch titles) to titles of another console at the peak of it's performance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is the kind of misinformation I was talking about. It's capable of producing graphics WAY better than the PS360, not slightly better.
Wii U's GPGPU Squashes Xbox 360, PS3; Capable Of DirectX 11 Equivalent Graphics

If you are thinking of what games look like now, you are making the mistake of comparing a console's weakest games (i.e. launch titles) to titles of another console at the peak of it's performance.
Show me the numbers. Show me GFLOPS/MIPS comparisons. Show me the number of shaders. Show me any actual proof of performance.

Bet you million bucks the PS4/XBox One "squash" the Wii U in the same way the Wii U "squashes" the PS3/360 now simply because it's more contemporary hardware. Perhaps "slightly" was not a fortunate word to use, but the point stands - it's far weaker than the PS4/XBox One - it's an in-betweener just like the Wii was to the 360 and the PS3.

As for COD : BLOPS2 which I used as an example, it was indeed gimped for the PS3/360, but the Wii U already had issues with certain effects used in the PC/360/PS3 versions, which goes to show that developing for it is not that smooth. Peak theoretical performance is one thing, actual, real life applications is another.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FHKRV6m.png
The type of RAM the One and PS4 use make a BIG difference, and the Wii U doesn't have Blu Ray.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country

... No, they're not getting a new console because of it's weaker power in comparison to another console, because it doesn't have backwards compatibility, because Kinect is an integrated feature that basically functions so as long as its plugged in and that's a little bit disturbing, because you have to be online often just to play, because the look of the console is awful, and because you have to pay a fee for used games. And that's not even just it.

No one is ragging that the social and multimedia features are bad, it's the fact that they've put so much emphasis into them that the gaming side is a overshadowed. And what's left of the gaming side is awful.

Reactions: chartube12

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Show me the numbers. Show me GFLOPS/MIPS comparisons. Show me the number of shaders.

Bet you million bucks the PS4/XBox One "squash" the Wii U in the same way the Wii U "squashes" the PS3/360 now simply because it's more contemporary hardware. Perhaps "slightly" was not a fortunate word to use, but the point stands - it's far weaker than the PS4/XBox One - it's an in-betweener just like the Wii was to the 360 and the PS3.
I'm sure they will be a lot better (it's hard to compare different hardware and architecture based on a few specs, we'll need to wait for games), but unless the PS4/X1 double-squash the PS360, this won't be a difference equal to that of the last generation.

The Wii wasn't much more powerful than the Gamecube, but the Wii U is WAY more powerful than the Wii (and the PS360).

@TheCasketMan: The Wii U does have a blueray drive. It just doesn't play movies (at least not now).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sure they will be a lot better (it's hard to compare different hardware and architecture based on a few specs, we'll need to wait for games), but unless the PS4/X1 double-squash the PS360, this won't be a difference equal to that of the last generation.

The Wii wasn't much more powerful than the Gamecube, but the Wii U is WAY more powerful than the Wii (and the PS360).
You have to consider the fact that technological leaps are becoming "longer and longer". Based on what I gathered:

GPU and Memory Comparison

PS4:
1.84 TFLOPS
8GB GDDR5 RAM @ 5500MHz (176GB/s)
256-bit
175.0GB/s Bandwidth

XBox One:
1.24 TFLOPS
32MB eSRAM @ 102GB/s
8GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz (68GB/s)
256-bit
68.3GB/s

Wii U:
352 GFLOPS
2GB DDR3 RAM @ 12.8 GB/s
34MB eDRAM @ 140 GB/s
1MB SRAM @ ???

It's literally double-squashed by the XBox One and triple-squashed by the PS4 in terms of the GPU alone and just 2GB of memory, part of which is reserved for the OS will handicap it some time in the future. If I made a mistake somewhere, feel free to correct me.

Numbers taken from various sources and they do vary from source to source, even if slightly:
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/official-wii-u-lobby-specs-graphics-power-thread.452775697/page-52
http://asia.cnet.com/ps4-vs-xbox-360-vs-wii-u-62220533.htm
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/2
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136756

@TheCasketMan: The Wii U does have a blueray drive. It just doesn't play movies (at least not now).
It's the same deal as with Wii's DVD drive - it's a "Nintendo Proprietary Format" meaning they didn't pay royalties for the use of the BluRay name and standard so they cut the functionality out. It does not and will not support BluRay. The Wii was supposed to get a DVD Add-On but never got one in the end because Nintendo judged the interest to be low - the Wii U's BluRay won't be any different.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Well the CPU is underclocked at about 50%, but for the most part you are right. One thing you are leaving out is that there is a ton of cache, a common tradeoff these days for clockspeed. However, I don't know how that compares to the PS4/X1. We'll probably need to wait till they are released.

One thing that frustrates me about Nintendo is that they always have to do the "weird thing". This time it's a slow CPU and moderate GPU with a ton of extra cache. They get to say "we have something that nobody else has", but it's also always something that developers don't seem to want. Having a standard makes it easy to develop something for all consoles. They seem to expect third party developers to want to do something special for their system. It's probably why exclusives generally look a lot better on Nintendo systems. They are designed for it and nothing else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.