PS3 emulator RPCS3 shows off new feature that lets you uncap the framerate in certain titles

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 17, 2019.

Front-page

As the years go by, PlayStation 3 emulation has become more and more viable, as the hardworking team behind the PS3 emulator RPCS3 continues to make major updates and breakthroughs. The most recent addition to the emulator is a WIP feature that allows users to remove the framerate cap for certain games, causing them to run at a smoother framerate than they did on original hardware. It's important to note that this won't affect every game in the PS3's library, though there are a few games that already make use of this removed fps limit without doubling the internal game speed. In the above video test, we can see Ni no Kuni, Tony Hawk Project 8, Sega Rally, Batman Arkham Asylum, Shadow of the Colossus, and Ferrari Challenge running at or around 60fps; a higher framerate than how they played on the PS3.

According to others who have tried out recent builds of RPCS3, Final Fantasy XIII, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, and perhaps most shockingly of them all, Red Dead Redemption, work too, though some of these games still aren't fully playable even at 30fps yet. The framerate override hasn't been officially added into the feature list for main builds, but if you're curious enough to want to test it out yourself, you can do so by using one of the master builds of the emulator.

:download: GitHub Page

Discussion (20 replies)
  1. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Great "little" feat. I'm a very big admirer of emulator coders. Real masters at work.

2. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    not a fan of ps3 due to it's noise (it was really annoying for me to hear a game console crying the way it did when we launched a game demanding on power ^^)

But seeing such progress for a PS3 emulator that really nice ^^

3. LightBeam

LightBeam Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    France
    I'll use it when JoJo's All Star Battle will run properly

Otherwise, great work so far

FateForWindows likes this.
  4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    This shit made things a little wet downstairs for yours truly when I saw it on Reddit the other day. Imagine, if Sega, for some boneheaded reason decided to not release the remasters of Yakuza 3-5 out West, if this works with those games' OG releases on PS3, people would be able to play the games in 60 fps...with the visual problems of the PS3 versions' limited draw distance and aliasing, not to mention artifacts of holding over old translations from the arrogant motherfucker that is the PS2 version of Yakuza 1, but alas, it would be an option as I could see Sega re-releasing Yakuza 6 on to Steam before the remasters' localizations and PC ports, though we'll see. Yakuza 5, once optimized, won't be a performance nightmare when a lot of enemies and other things are happening all at once on screen!

5. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Wow I didn't realize RPCS3 was so far along. These games look to be running perfectly! Hopefully they manage to get MGS4 to run soon, or at least MGO2.

6. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Can we compensate the ni no kuni fps dips with this?

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

7. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Can sb pls explain why it is not possible to make N64 emulators increase the framerate?

8. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    there's patches to get mario 64 running at 60fps, dunno what you're on about

9. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Tough some patches are available for some games, the original hardware used a lot of tricks to even run the games at their native frame rate, and a lot of code was dependent on how the n64 behaves, and said behavior is hard to emulate until today, even with powerful machines.

FateForWindows likes this.
  10. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Can't wait to play MGS4 unfortunately it's not working yet.

11. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Never had such an issue. Maybe clean your consoles once in a while or take them out from the enclosed entertainment stand. ;)

12. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    GUYS, which is minimum REQUIREMENTS for PC?

Last edited by leon315, Jul 17, 2019
    gird and NoNAND like this.
  13. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp's Official NAND/emuMMC multipurpose tool

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    Area 51
    Uncapped frame rates huh?
    That'something I wasn't expecting.
    I wonder how Persona 5 would benefit from this new WIP feature.
    Though I doubt my i7 6700HQ would be able to push any more than 30fps.

14. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    Does this work for Persona 5, so we don't have to use the pretty buggy 60FPS patch?

gamemasteru03 likes this.
  15. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    This reminds me of how dome PSX1emulators can improve framerate and graphics, it sounds fun.

Last edited by raxadian, Jul 17, 2019
  16. SilverWah

SilverWah GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2016
    Netherlands
    Wah City
    Imagine playing uncapped PS3 frame rate titles on this.
    The sky's the limit.

17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Actually, at some point just a better framerate is not enough and you need an emulator that improves the graphics somehow.

18. Catiorro

Catiorro Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    Brazil
    That's amazing :mthr:

19. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    time to play fat princess!