Protests have started in N. Korea

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by antwill, Feb 25, 2011.

Feb 25, 2011
  1. antwill
    OP

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Source.

Interesting, it seems the recent protests in other countries may have been an inspiration. One source even says the South Korean dropped leaflets and supplies informing them of the other countries protests.

What do you all think this will lead to?

2. worlok375

Member worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

United States
    An interesting thing we have here, similar protests in a very different part of the world, with different problems. (why am I up at midnight, wondering about foreign politics? I know I certainly could sleep if need be)

And there I was, thinking North Korea was the best Korea, I was wrong.

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Only thing I'm afraid of is... Kim Jong Il is kinda crazy and has nukes.

As bad/corrupt as Mubarak was if he chose to send the military to disperse the protestors, I don't think they would have reached as peaceful and bloodless a resolution as they did.

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    they wont go far i suppose.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah this is just crazy and suicidal. North Korea has a huge military to population ratio (possibly the biggest in the world?), and I think the military is very loyal to the regime, unlike Egypt or Libya. I believe they will kill their own citizens on command.

6. twiztidsinz

United States
    I'm not sure if it's loyalty or they just know they're getting a better deal than the rest of the people and they could find themselves out of the military if they don't comply with every last command.

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    I wouldn't go as far as calling them loyal. In fact NK military is living under constant fear of defector. Take its Air Force for example, their soldiers are under-trained because of fear of them taking a plane and fly to Japan.

8. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    They're asking for food and electricity, Is that too much to ask for? It's not much like Egypt, They wanted a new leader. although a new leader could bring those things.

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    the courage for ppl to stand up for their rights has begun, tht includes changes in the govt or in getting their demands
    our country has shortage of water (like i havent got water at my house properly for around 5 months and am using well water) and electricity (some areas dont have electricity for around 8 hours a day) but we are quiet

10. Sylar1

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's too much for them to ask for, this is North Korea/

11. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    They are living shitty lives

Mighty Kim will end their lives

What a great ruler!

12. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    WWIII is looming

Although North Africa will be spared from being in WWIII, it's the other Middle Eastern Countries and North Korea that will end up starting the war. It would be easy to wage another war providing we work with the protesters and rebel allied against the oppressive regimes, but this will be for the Middle East, the US should stay away from waging conflict with North Korea at all costs, it will never end well.

13. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    WW3 bloody better not be looming because of some bloody government uprising protests. One country is not worth the whole world by any means.
    Curse the man who invented nuclear weapons.

14. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States

So people deposing tyrants, and protesting for change rather peacefully means WW3 is looming? Uhh, yeah, okay. Keep living in that bubble, bro.
    But it's about time, they have been starving since the 90's, and really need to get help. Obviously international food donations haven't done anything for the average person, as it's the burgeoning army that gets fed first and foremost.

15. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    Who would be on the side of NK? China? I doubt China would want to enter a war right now, and I don't see another allies for NK...

16. twiztidsinz

United States
    Russia and China.
    They might not support them in a militaristic sense, but I could see them giving support in a 'non-intervening' way, via supplies and such. But I think that if any sort of large scale conflict broke out that support would dwindle rather quickly.

17. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    China's actually been backing out of engagement with North Korea, though a bit quietly. Russia wouldn't make a move. There's no reason to.

The most likely candidate for massing war is in Africa, where there is no such thing as stability (and in the coming years, one of the few hotspots still holding a supply of oil), and then any middle-Eastern countries which might see a potential reason in helping out North Korea.

Anyone else would be small countries who other voice support secondarily, or who couldn't hold a chance engaging someone else.

18. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    That's what brain washing does to people. No one is truly loyal to that decrepit old bastard unless they have been brain washed and had their minds warped with lies about how the USA is evil and all that other shit the crazy old bugger believes in.

19. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    This is probably the first time North Koreans actually bothered to protest against their government, seeing as they've been brain-washed to think that the Kim family's regime is holy and superior to the rest of the world. Hopefully things will turn out in peace, but I doubt it, considering the powerful military presence throughout the country.
    The People's Republic of China and the former U.S.S.R. have historically been the allies of North Korea. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia began to back out in terms of support for the country. China has been pulling out a bit in a more quiet fashion, seeing their efforts to maintain better relations with South Korea, and the fact that they seem to be refusing to supply North Korea with military equipment like they did in the past. They've begun to realize that North Korea is not worth supporting anymore. I believe there was a WikiLeaks document from last year that mentioned China had stated themselves (in secrecy of course) that they've given up on North Korea.