Better Than You
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Seoul – The wave of protests that began in the Mideast appears to have reached even North Korea. For the first time in the history of the Stalinist regime, groups of ordinary citizens have protested in three cities demanding food and electricity, sources say. The event is exceptional and confirms the economic difficulties, especially concerning food supplies, people have to face under the Communist government. ... The State Security Department (the all-powerful agency under Kim Jong-il’s direct control) investigated the incident but failed to identify the people who started the commotion when they met with a wall of silence.

“When such an incident took place in the past, people used to report their neighbours to the security forces, but now they're covering for each other," the source said.
Source.

Interesting, it seems the recent protests in other countries may have been an inspiration. One source even says the South Korean dropped leaflets and supplies informing them of the other countries protests.

What do you all think this will lead to?

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
An interesting thing we have here, similar protests in a very different part of the world, with different problems. (why am I up at midnight, wondering about foreign politics? I know I certainly could sleep if need be)

And there I was, thinking North Korea was the best Korea, I was wrong.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Only thing I'm afraid of is... Kim Jong Il is kinda crazy and has nukes.

As bad/corrupt as Mubarak was if he chose to send the military to disperse the protestors, I don't think they would have reached as peaceful and bloodless a resolution as they did.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is just crazy and suicidal. North Korea has a huge military to population ratio (possibly the biggest in the world?), and I think the military is very loyal to the regime, unlike Egypt or Libya. I believe they will kill their own citizens on command.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Yeah this is just crazy and suicidal. North Korea has a huge military to population ratio (possibly the biggest in the world?), and I think the military is very loyal to the regime, unlike Egypt or Libya. I believe they will kill their own citizens on command.
I'm not sure if it's loyalty or they just know they're getting a better deal than the rest of the people and they could find themselves out of the military if they don't comply with every last command.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
I wouldn't go as far as calling them loyal. In fact NK military is living under constant fear of defector. Take its Air Force for example, their soldiers are under-trained because of fear of them taking a plane and fly to Japan.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're asking for food and electricity, Is that too much to ask for? It's not much like Egypt, They wanted a new leader. although a new leader could bring those things.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
the courage for ppl to stand up for their rights has begun, tht includes changes in the govt or in getting their demands
our country has shortage of water (like i havent got water at my house properly for around 5 months and am using well water) and electricity (some areas dont have electricity for around 8 hours a day) but we are quiet

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:
They're asking for food and electricity, Is that too much to ask for? It's not much like Egypt, They wanted a new leader. although a new leader could bring those things.

It's too much for them to ask for, this is North Korea/

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WWIII is looming

Although North Africa will be spared from being in WWIII, it's the other Middle Eastern Countries and North Korea that will end up starting the war. It would be easy to wage another war providing we work with the protesters and rebel allied against the oppressive regimes, but this will be for the Middle East, the US should stay away from waging conflict with North Korea at all costs, it will never end well.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
WWIII is looming

Although North Africa will be spared from being in WWIII, it's the other Middle Eastern Countries and North Korea that will end up starting the war. It would be easy to wage another war providing we work with the protesters and rebel allied against the oppressive regimes, but this will be for the Middle East, the US should stay away from waging conflict with North Korea at all costs, it will never end well.

So people deposing tyrants, and protesting for change rather peacefully means WW3 is looming? Uhh, yeah, okay. Keep living in that bubble, bro.
But it's about time, they have been starving since the 90's, and really need to get help. Obviously international food donations haven't done anything for the average person, as it's the burgeoning army that gets fed first and foremost.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hop2089 said:
WWIII is looming

Who would be on the side of NK? China? I doubt China would want to enter a war right now, and I don't see another allies for NK...

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadLocked said:
Hop2089 said:
WWIII is looming

WW3 bloody better not be looming because of some bloody government uprising protests. One country is not worth the whole world by any means.
Curse the man who invented nuclear weapons.
Right. Because those people are worth less than you.
That's a really great way of thinking.

If you want to blame someone, blame the dictators and tyrants and corrupt people in power who would rather see their people die starving than give up their precious money stacks. And the people like Kim Jong Il who would potentially use this to lash out at surrounding countries.

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Feb 25 2011, 12:37 PM)
Who would be on the side of NK? China? I doubt China would want to enter a war right now, and I don't see another allies for NK...
Russia and China.
They might not support them in a militaristic sense, but I could see them giving support in a 'non-intervening' way, via supplies and such. But I think that if any sort of large scale conflict broke out that support would dwindle rather quickly.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
China's actually been backing out of engagement with North Korea, though a bit quietly. Russia wouldn't make a move. There's no reason to.

The most likely candidate for massing war is in Africa, where there is no such thing as stability (and in the coming years, one of the few hotspots still holding a supply of oil), and then any middle-Eastern countries which might see a potential reason in helping out North Korea.

Anyone else would be small countries who other voice support secondarily, or who couldn't hold a chance engaging someone else.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeMoN said:
That's what brain washing does to people. No one is truly loyal to that decrepit old bastard unless they have been brain washed and had their minds warped with lies about how the USA is evil and all that other shit the crazy old bugger believes in.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
This is probably the first time North Koreans actually bothered to protest against their government, seeing as they've been brain-washed to think that the Kim family's regime is holy and superior to the rest of the world. Hopefully things will turn out in peace, but I doubt it, considering the powerful military presence throughout the country.
Maedhros said:
Hop2089 said:
WWIII is looming

The People's Republic of China and the former U.S.S.R. have historically been the allies of North Korea. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia began to back out in terms of support for the country. China has been pulling out a bit in a more quiet fashion, seeing their efforts to maintain better relations with South Korea, and the fact that they seem to be refusing to supply North Korea with military equipment like they did in the past. They've begun to realize that North Korea is not worth supporting anymore. I believe there was a WikiLeaks document from last year that mentioned China had stated themselves (in secrecy of course) that they've given up on North Korea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1