Hacking Proof that low speed burning is the fail.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
OP
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
I just did some quality tests of my backups.

My FujiFilm 16x burned on 4x backup of metriod prime 3 corruption gave this crappy result:
ff164xwe0.png

But when i burned Resident Evil 4 wii on 8x i got a MUCH better result:
ff168xbj6.png

But the most funny part is that my SSBB brawl DVD9 burned on Platinum 8x DVD+R DL at 4x gave this awesome result:
p84xdlownedslba3.png

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most DVDs like to be burned at their rated speed, and this usually is best if that speed matches a native speed of of the burner. So slower is not always better. I always burn at 8x (max for my burner and disc combo) and have never had a DRE since. I had already been using TY disks and IMGburn. It's the magic combination for me.

dreamreaper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use White Inkjet printables that are only rated at 8x, I only ever burn at 6x and have never had any issues with DRE's, using a Pioneer DVR-212.

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to proliferate this information for a long time now.

Burning at LOW speeds (lower than 6x) will have dodgy results on the Wii, even if you don't notice it - next to an original you should hear quite a bit of seek noise.

I can't explain why, as it really doesn't matter on other devices, but matching the Wii's read speed of 6x is FAR more reliable than burning at any other.

This is especially apparant when burning Dual Layer dvd.

6x is the way to go.

F2a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't check my disk quality with my drive but I've been using 4x and haven't had any problems. I'll start using 6x though.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of DVD writers manufactures provide application to determine best writing speed for a particular media _without actual burning_. I use QSuite (it’s for BENQ drives only).

zvix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe try the same dvd in diffrent speeds for a real test... this isnt proof.. this is a give me attention please post.
gbasp.gif

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
The whole burning slower is better thing isn't really a myth so much as an obsolete fact. Back in 2002 or whatever DVD burning software and hardware wasn't nearly as sophisticated as it is today that was true, not anymore though. I find you should never burn at less than 50% of the max speed the disc can take. 50-100% speed works, varies with the brand of blank and drive as to what is best. I have 16x cheap discs and burn at 12x and have never had any issues.

indokid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been burning my discs at 16x for a year now

no problem thus far, not a single DRE encountered or loading problem

i guess ignorance is bliss

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I feel the opposite of all of you. I have an 8x burner and 16x Verbatim discs, but my burner set at max
speed gets variable speeds during the burn averaging at 4.4x and I've had miserable results with those discs. About half the time the disc won't be recognized in the drive, and if it is, I get a lot of can't read the disc errors randomly during gameplay. I've switched to burning at 2x and haven't had a problem since, not even with syncing up custom songs in Guitar Hero.

theforbidden1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you can't conclude nothing about burn speed with only 1 test, you would have to do a few tests and use always same type of disk. You could just had been unlucky on your low speed burn
wink.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
OP
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Ive tried with all my other burns now.
All my 4x burns on my FujiFilm 16x DVD's give the crappy 60-70% Quality.

And i currently only got one 8x burn
tongue.gif

But that changes however with time
tongue.gif

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wait, are you calling your DVD+R DL burn good? Cause it's horrible from what I can tell.

Also, what's good and what's not is completely individual and different for every burner-speed-media combination, there is no always working combo. Just experiment and see what's working best for you.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Easiest way, or the way that fixes my problem anyway is by uninstalling the IDE channel used by my burner... Reboot, and it should recognise and re-install... You could always try changing it in Device Manager, but didn't work for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...